Blocked sink disaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Had a couple of sinks not draining properly so whacked a load of sodium hydroxide down. Whilst you're supposed to dissolve it first, I just poured some powder down and ran the tap, as I've done may times before over the years. It does tend to heat up and spit if you do this, which is why it's bad practice, so I was in goggles, rubber gloves etc.

However, I actually managed to block the sink with solid caustic soda - which I'd not thought possible. After a lot of faffage I managed to unblock the kitchen sink spilling a load of caustic cocktail on the (wood) floor, and slightly damaging my newly painted kitchen cupboards. Loads of mopping as I didn't want the cat getting her paws in any residue. She wasn't best pleased when we washed her paws either, but to be fair didn't try to scratch us.

Mrs PP was very supportive and compared my prowess to someone I hugely admire. "When's your friend Mr Hardy coming round" she said.

He will be around to help shift the piano.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I tend you use Mr Muscle.......just pour half a bottle down at night.
We have a regular (every few months) problem with the bath drain as the drop to the outlet is too shallow. Mr Muscle does the trick.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I tend you use Mr Muscle.......just pour half a bottle down at night.
We have a regular (every few months) problem with the bath drain as the drop to the outlet is too shallow. Mr Muscle does the trick.

So does sodium hydroxide - at least it does all the other times I've used it !

Mrs PP has decreed "we're using Mr Muscle next time, no more caustic soda". She caught sight
of my alkali burns - only two and each very minor, so nothing to be too concerned about as I was genuinely suited and goggled for most of the fiasco

Top Bottom