Blogging v Cyclechatting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder how many CCers also run cycle related blogs? I do have a blog but it has taken a back seat for a while as I have found CC to be generally more immediate and rewarding. Any other opinions about the benefits or drawbacks of either medium?

Sandra6

Veteran
I've never tried blogging but I use quite a few forums for different reasons and like the idea that somebody will talk back.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've got several blogs. If I want a discussion I go to a forum, If I want to share/log something, I put it on my blog.

hoopdriver

Guru
I began blogging a few months ago and enjoy it immensely. I am a magazine writer and photographer by profession but the publications for which I write and shoot - mainly National Geographic - don't have much call for cycling stories and my blog gives me a perfect outlet for cycling-inspired essays and photography. I love it and try to post every day when I am not travelling on assignment, and even then I still try.

raindog

er.....
A forum like CycleChat and a blog are two completely different beasts. Can't see the point in comparing them really.

I've got a blog, but I just use it as a sort of visiting card for my bike paintings.

Who is going to read your blog? There are probably thousands of cycling blogs out there that nobody is reading. People seem to get some pleasure out of writing them though

hoopdriver

Guru
Who is going to read your blog? There are probably thousands of cycling blogs out there that nobody is reading. People seem to get some pleasure out of writing them though
As I said, I write and photograph for mine for personal pleasure but nevertheless I have gained a regular following. Most blogs are not maintained. People post every now and then, sometimes even months apart, and nobody is going to become a regular reader of something that appears so irregularly. Doing a blog properly, and posting regularly, preferably daily, takes a lot of work and dedication.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't have a blog. A friend suggested I should have one and update it regularly. I don't have that much to say most days hence I chatter aimlessly in the Tea? thread here.

I do have a couple of 'build' threads on an electric car forum that are more blog like. Most of the people there doing builds and conversions treat their thread as blog and just write daily/weekly updates with questions, support and feedback and not a small amount of slightly off topic banter.
That sort of things satisfies me for now in terms of my own witterings.

I do read blogs sometimes. One is a personal blog written by a CC member and the other two are Quadracycling in Ottawa and Catrike Diaries though the first one seems to have stalled.

yello

People seem to get some pleasure out of writing them though

I'd say that's the guts of it. Do whatever makes you feel good.

I update (rather than keep) a cycling diary periodically. Just a document of my rides; how I felt, what I say etc. It's not stats or goal based. I've no motivation to put it online though. I've read a number of blogs that seem to be personal diaries and they give me no desire to follow them. I do like a well written blog that with an awareness of an audience though. They can be informative even if only personal opinion based. From my browsing, I'd say most blogs don't fall into that category though.

I like forums (for the most part) as I like the debate aspect. And you can learn from knowledgeable people that you otherwise would not come across, ask them questions etc. I like participating so long as it doesn't start getting aggressive. I'd actually say that I've changed my approach to forums too, and I'd say that has broadly reshaped my temperament in life too... but that's rather a large claim to make for forum participation! I'm sure most people wouldn't go that far.

But, yes, different beasts. Enjoy both for their differences. I'd say the biggest difference is the level of engagement. Responses to a blog are fewer and less immediate. Forums are more vibrant, if I can put it like that.

Andrius.B

I would say it depends how often you post info. If you write at least 2 blog posts a week, then a blog is worth it. If you only write something twice a month, then it will be much harder for you to maintain peoples interest. A blog must be updated as often as possible as long as you don't compromise the quality of course. All of the most successful cycling blogs get at least one new post/story a week.

I began blogging a few months ago and enjoy it immensely. I am a magazine writer and photographer by profession but the publications for which I write and shoot - mainly National Geographic - don't have much call for cycling stories and my blog gives me a perfect outlet for cycling-inspired essays and photography. I love it and try to post every day when I am not travelling on assignment, and even then I still try.
Liking' the blog hoopdriver

Top Bottom