Blood doning before a big ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've just spotted a nice looking 106km audax at the end of August in Worcestershire/Herefordshire that I quite fancy doing. The trouble is, I'm down to give blood 2 days earlier, and I'm reluctant to cancel my appointment if I don't have to. When you give blood, they always ask if you are doing anything strenuous in the same/next day, and advise you against it. I seem to recall that you make up for the fluid loss within 24 hours, but what about red blood cells? Might it be dumb of me to contemplate doing an audax 48 hours later? Any medical types out there who can advise?

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I have a blood condition which means I give 500ml anything from once a week to once a year depending how bad I am to get rid of iron. I would advise against it, for me anyway, I still feel crap 4 days after.
But I hear a normal fit well person can be OK within 24hrs. I dont know how you would feel though doing something like a 106km ride. Tired quicker I would have thought. Be careful dude.

sittingbull

Veteran
"Donating a pint (450cc) of blood results in a depletion of about 10 percent of your total blood volume. Of that, only about 160cc are red blood cells. The fluid component, the remaining 290cc, is replaced within hours, but the red blood cell replacement takes about two months, (which is why you may not donate more often than every two months)".

"A study (3) on the effects of blood donation on 10 competitive cyclists before and after donating 1 U of blood found that maximal performance was decreased for at least 1 week after blood donation. (Cyclists were measured at baseline and at 2 hours, 2 days, and 7 days after phlebotomy.) Although researchers found that maximal performance was decreased, submaximal performance was unaffected".

source

Last edited:
You are doing this wrong, you are supposed to have donated the blood, stored it and then have it re-transfused before the big ride!

More seriously though, it takes a while to fully restore, this is no problem for a normal activity, but strenuous activity (as above) is affected.

If you are going to attempt a fast ride then you may have issues, but a slower time, and completion may be possible.

Of course ... unless there is a medical reason why it has to be that date, why not delay the donation until after the ride?

Top Bottom