Blood Pressure Moniters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever readings you get, don't take them too seriously. My systolic can drop 15 points in measurements taken ten minutes apart, purely by thinking calm and faintly Buddhist thoughts. The readings they take at the GP/hospital are subject to "white coat hypertension" because the patient is nervous.

When in doubt, just take the pills they give you.:okay:

(Incoming .....)

U

User33236

Check out the list on monitors validated for home use by the British Hypertension Society http://bhsoc.org/bp-monitors/bp-monitors/for-home-use/

As mentioned above the Omron range will meet the need.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5014964, member: 9609"]A question about these monitors - the person who I have got it for don't like it because it hurts her arm, when she uses it t goes up to 180 before it starts counting down, when I use it it only goes up to a 140 before counting down. I'm guessing it has to get above your blood pressure before the counting begins so if someone has high blood pressure any monitor is going to compress really tight ? and if like me the pressure is normal 112/74 then it don't have to go too tight.

So I'm thinking there is not going to be any monitor that is gentle if you're over pressured ?[/QUOTE]

I have the Omron M2 Basic HEM-7120-E.

I find the "tightness" it goes to before giving a reading, and, the readings, are quite sensitive to positioning of the inflatable "cuff".

In the instructions (sorry, yes, I did read them) give a diagram of how the cuff should be fitted, I find the distance between the front of the elbow joint and the bottom edge of the inflatable cuff is quite critical.

Having said that, it has been my experience that BP readings are often significantly different, for no obvious reason.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
The Which best buy is the Omron M2 Basic, HEM-7120 it scored top marks for accuracy, comfort, and ease of use, and was second from cheapest. (NB: This one is not the same model as the Omron M2)
IBP, Beurer, and Kinetik were among the "don't buys".

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you have high blood pressure then it can attack the kidneys.

A basic check on kidney function is available via a blood test - just pop and ask the doctor, get the test booked and results are pretty quick (same day round here).

Top Bottom