Blood Pressure Monitoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In January I suffered a subarrachnoid haemorrage as a result of an aneurysm - this is a bleed on the brain. To date I have made a full and remarkable recovery. I still have to have a second angiogram to assess the need for further surgery.

I discussed cycling with my consultant today. He asked me not to ride other than "easy" cycling as there is concern over high blood pressure causing another bleed. I have every intention of agreeing to the request.

On a ride this morning, before seeing the consultant, I averaged 14.3 over 41 miles with an HR average of 114. I thought this good. This is not "easy" cycling in the consultant's view.

Looking to the longer term I am wondering if it is possible to constantly monitor blood pressure while cycling? Does anyone know of a device which would give this info in a similar manner as an HR or cadence sensor?

This is about planning for the future and understanding what, if anything, I can do to continue cycling, it is not about going against medical advice.

tom73

Guru
Sadly not

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your BP will be all over the place in exercise. I'm surprised you managed an average of 114 BPM. Late 40's here and my averages are pushing 160-170 on a bike, I only need to look at one and it shoots up. You've done well to keep the average low.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@fossyant thank you. The 114 is pretty consistent over the years using three different HR monitors. I'm usually 115-120 avg. My resting HR is 48 and recovery around 30 bpm so I'm quite fortunate.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In January I suffered a subarrachnoid haemorrage as a result of an aneurysm - this is a bleed on the brain. To date I have made a full and remarkable recovery. I still have to have a second angiogram to assess the need for further surgery.

I discussed cycling with my consultant today. He asked me not to ride other than "easy" cycling as there is concern over high blood pressure causing another bleed. I have every intention of agreeing to the request.

On a ride this morning, before seeing the consultant, I averaged 14.3 over 41 miles with an HR average of 114. I thought this good. This is not "easy" cycling in the consultant's view.

Looking to the longer term I am wondering if it is possible to constantly monitor blood pressure while cycling? Does anyone know of a device which would give this info in a similar manner as an HR or cadence sensor?

This is about planning for the future and understanding what, if anything, I can do to continue cycling, it is not about going against medical advice.

I am not medically trained, but from personal experience, my BP after exercise can vary, so as @fossyant said, I would imagine during exercise it would be similar. I take my BP regularly and my GP recommended waiting 30 mins before recording the result. But out of curiosity I have taken it much earlier and the figures are all over the place, even after undertaking the same ride but on different days.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can get wrist mounted blood pressure monitors plus ones that will take over Bluetooth 4.0 to a phone. But it would still be pretty uncomfortable as it inflates then deflates to get the blood pressure. Continuous not possible but you could take it with you and stop a number of times to check. Blood pressure is much higher during exercise as you will know.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Assuming that constant pressure Is not possible to measure and you can to work with HR, is average the best measurement or should you be looking at maximum? Then if maximum is key, perhaps an ebike is a good investment to ‘smooth out’ the effort.

Having written that you can get blood pressure measuring watches from the likes of Omron and even Apple.

yello

I think you're right and "constant" monitoring isn't possible. I was hooked up to an HRM for 24 hours and it took readings every 20 minutes (as I recall)

The only BP monitor I've seen you can where all the time is this one.... https://omronhealthcare.com/products/heartguide-wearable-blood-pressure-monitor-bp8000m/ Not cheap though.

goodBPface.png

tom73

Guru
The main problem is even if you find something remotely highly accurate they will have no way of getting a reading that comes close to current BP. As other have said it will be changing all the time during exercise. Stopping resting then taking a reading then carry on and repeat is not quite practical either. Even going on a HR of X will not mean a BP of Y.

Slower and steady looks to be your only option. How slow and steady will by the sound of it be a matter of debate with you and your consultant.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Many thanks for the excellent responses which have given me both food for thought and Saturday night reading!

An ebike is most certainly on the agenda. I have a small group of friends who I'm particularly keen to continue riding with and if means I can keep the pace it will happen!

114 bpm is less than I get walking up a short flight of stairs. A gentle flat ride is 120+ and I'd expect a normal ride to average north of 150. If your consultant says that 114 is not 'easy', then perhaps he\she thinks you should swap to golf? I don't honestly think that is an achievable target without staying on the sofa. :'(

Top Bottom