The effects of exercise on blood pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
A little bit of a strange observation,it may be pure coincidence or not but I will leave for you to decide.
This year in general I've lost my mojo and appetite for cycling.
Its just been work sleep and no play.
As a result I've put a little bit of weight on, my energy levels have nose dived and I've generally "lost the spring in my step"
Last year I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on tablets to help tackle it.With that and the combination of long intensive cycling rides I managed to get my blood pressure under control and getting near enough perfect readings of around 120/80.
Well since my cycling has slowly diminished this year my BP levels have slowly increased again to the point of getting a little high 150/95. I thought this is no good and instead of seeing the doctor, who will only tell me exercise more and eat healthier, I've started cycling again.
I'm doing around 15 miles a night after work which works out around a hour worth of exercise ,but to my surprise my BP has taken an almost fall since I've started cycling again.
In fact I noticed the change within days of getting back out there again on the bike.
Now this could be just a pure fluke,or a direct result that exercise really does have a positive effect on lowering BP..

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you also feeling more relaxed as a result of the exercise?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@vickster
Yes definitely..
I'm going to bed feeling more tired purely because I'm exercising after work, but feeling more tired is totally different to feeling relaxed.
I've never slept very well since my wife run off to greener pastures a few years back but my sleep patterns are a lot better now.
Getting out for some evening cycling seems to help me relax mentally, but it does make me feel more tired which helps me get a good night's sleep.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @kingrollo
I'm on (let me try and spell this right) Amlodipine.
What surprises me is not the fact exercise does and is proven to lower BP but more so how quickly it has done it

Hi @kingrollo
I'm on (let me try and spell this right) Amlodipine.
What surprises me is not the fact exercise does and is proven that it lowers BP but more so how quickly it has done it

Got ya.

I'm on ramipril - since August - which has been great for lowering BP. But I'm getting palpitations - which seem to be getting worse. Speaking to cardiology next week.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I think my ex brother-in-law is taking Ramipril at the moment and he's also complaining about palpitations.He,s quite concerned about it

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I too am on Ramipril, as far as I know it works by relaxing the blood vessels so your heart doesn't have to work so hard pumping. No palpitations to report though but then I still smoke.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I was on Ramipril but it gave me a cough. On Losartan now.

dicko

Guru
Cayenne Pepper is what I take every day to keep my BP in check. I have my BP checked four or five times a year by my Diabetic review team and since taking Cayenne Pepper the results are remarkable.

Cayenne opens up blood vessels and helps increase blood flow. This decreases blood pressure naturally, by increasing the rate that blood flows through your system. Easy fix: Mix a half-teaspoon of cayenne into a glass of warm water and honey each morning.

I mix it with Tomato Juice as it has a strong hot taste. I buy mine from Pak Foods (Indo Asian supermarket) it is relatively cheap to buy.

Last edited:

Jotheboat

Cayenne Pepper is what I take every day to keep my BP in check. I have my BP checked four or five times a year by my Diabetic review team and since taking Cayenne Pepper the results are remarkable.

Cayenne opens up blood vessels and helps increase blood flow. This decreases blood pressure naturally, by increasing the rate that blood flows through your system. Easy fix: Mix a half-teaspoon of cayenne into a glass of warm water and honey each morning.

I mix it with Tomato Juice as it has a strong hot taste. I buy mine from Pak Foods (Indo Asian supermarket) it is relatively cheap to buy.

Wouldn't have thought honey was ideal for a diabetic?
Interesting about the cayenne though, thanks.

rualexander

Legendary Member

How do you know it isn't the tomato juice rather than the cayenne pepper that is supposedly keeping your blood pressure in check?

Top Bottom