Blood pressure - When to medicate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Also take into account 'white coat syndrome'. Never had it myself until a couple of years ago - subsequently high readings at the doctors. A 24h test showed my BP dropping dramatically once I'd got home from work, and quite low overnight.
I didn't know that I suffered from it until my long stint in hospital in 2012. A nurse taking my evening blood oxygen readings finally noticed that the reason they were not improving faster was that I was so nervous that I was holding my breath for over a minute each time the tests were being done! :banghead:

I am a similar age, 56. I have been on Ramipril for around 8 months. I have been monitoring my blood pressure over a few years when it was noticed after both a RTA and a assault that my blood pressure went through the roof. ( 200/120 at one time) however it went back to normal after a couple of months and was put down to pain, then it went back up again due to stress . ( divorce, house selling and buying) then it went down again and is back up again now due to work stress.( company buy out redundancies in the air etc) It could be your back pain causing the elevation in blood pressure, my doctors ( doctors as I moved 6 months ago and have a new doctor) have seemed not to bothered about my BP and virtually ignored the higher figures. ie 140-150 , and were only interested in the lower numbers and only put me on ramipril when I was constantly over 90. ( they were impressed by my cyclists low resting heart rate of 42-45 and said I was fit as a fiddle) . They seem to consider my blood pressure is caused by stress or pain and nothing more sinister. I am lucky that I suffer no side effects from Ramipril ( I know people who do ) and its effect on me is fairly quick in bringing it down ie less than 12 hrs. I would see your doctor and try some meds. I was surprised at work and with cycling colleagues when I mentioned that I was on BP meds that so many other people were on them. Seems a lot of people like to keep it a secret.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I am a similar age, 56. I have been on Ramipril for around 8 months. I have been monitoring my blood pressure over a few years when it was noticed after both a RTA and a assault that my blood pressure went through the roof. ( 200/120 at one time) however it went back to normal after a couple of months and was put down to pain, then it went back up again due to stress . ( divorce, house selling and buying) then it went down again and is back up again now due to work stress.( company buy out redundancies in the air etc) It could be your back pain causing the elevation in blood pressure, my doctors ( doctors as I moved 6 months ago and have a new doctor) have seemed not to bothered about my BP and virtually ignored the higher figures. ie 140-150 , and were only interested in the lower numbers and only put me on ramipril when I was constantly over 90. ( they were impressed by my cyclists low resting heart rate of 42-45 and said I was fit as a fiddle) . They seem to consider my blood pressure is caused by stress or pain and nothing more sinister. I am lucky that I suffer no side effects from Ramipril ( I know people who do ) and its effect on me is fairly quick in bringing it down ie less than 12 hrs. I would see your doctor and try some meds. I was surprised at work and with cycling colleagues when I mentioned that I was on BP meds that so many other people were on them. Seems a lot of people like to keep it a secret.

i thought high blood pressure was bad whatever the cause ?

That's what I think as well. I was a bit surprised at the lack of concern shown by the hospitals when I was in after my RTA and assault. They seemed to look at me and say nah he looks too fit it'll pass. They may have been right and it did. I only pressed it again when I noticed my blood pressure had soared again at the start of the break up of my marriage, again my family doctor did not seem too bothered and attitude was a bit well you can have it if you want it. I do a fair amount of high intensity excercise and dont want to blow a gasket in the middle of it. My new doctor was more concerned however and is keen fr me to stay on it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back pain and stress triggers my high BP. Try beetroot, beetroot juice, or if you can't stand beetroot, you can get tablets with extract. It's very good for lowering BP, and increases oxygen uptake in the blood.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been on statins, beta blockers and ACE inhibitors for the last six years, following a rather unexpected and sudden cardiac bypass operation. Before then, I would have been horrified at the prospect of taking long term medication, but my views have completely changed. I have been very fortunate not to have had any side effects. My attitude is "if the cardiologists recommend it, I'll give it a go". If you get side effects, they can switch you to something else that might suit you better. Anyway, don't listen to me, listen to the experts.

Drago

Legendary Member
Has the Doc given you any options or advice other than the tabs?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Has the Doc given you any options or advice other than the tabs?

I am not yet on tablets......

As per most conditions on the NHS nowadays - you get a leaflet !

The GP advice "I can give you some tablets to lower you're blood pressure if you want"

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've been on statins, beta blockers and ACE inhibitors for the last six years, following a rather unexpected and sudden cardiac bypass operation. Before then, I would have been horrified at the prospect of taking long term medication, but my views have completely changed. I have been very fortunate not to have had any side effects. My attitude is "if the cardiologists recommend it, I'll give it a go". If you get side effects, they can switch you to something else that might suit you better. Anyway, don't listen to me, listen to the experts.

The experts don't appear to give a toss though - maybe because I am borderline

*I presume you mean GP'S as experts !!!!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The experts don't appear to give a toss though - maybe because I am borderline

*I presume you mean GP'S as experts !!!!

Without wishing to appear arsey about this, but there are two pages of various suggestions and personal experiences. As has been identified in the thread, there could be any one, or combination of factors, which could be contributing to a higher reading so I for one am not sure what you expect your GP to say?

You know what UK ideal readings are and you know you are higher than those; albeit borderline. It seems to me to be straightforward choice. Live with your current readings and gamble, or take some meds as given the choice by your GP. Changes to lifestyle may be reflected in your blood pressure readings, which may enable you to come off the meds, or you can carry on as you see fit using the meds only to lower your BP.

Top Bottom