Blood pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
"That glass of red" is actually an essential part of the Mediterranean Diet, much promoted by the NHS. Lord knows, it takes an iron will to stick to it.
Martyr....

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had my second "5 year MOT" earlier this year and my high blood pressure got flagged up, having been taken right at the start of the appointment.
The practice nurse repeated the test at the end and the results were lower - the nurse advised a lot of people can have high pressure simply due to them attending the appointment, but I was given an machine to take home to repeat the test twice a day for a week.
This showed everything was ok so no further action was taken. Fingers crossed it's the same for you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@colly I'd be wary of taking or comfort from advice which dismisses all GP BP equipment as mickey mouse. My GP surgery, and therefore practice nurse, use exactly the same equipment as I've experienced in hospital. My wife is a retired medical professional and purchased the same BP monitor for us to use at home. Unless you know the brand it should not be dismissed as mickey mouse or otherwise.

My practice nurse takes about ten minutes with the initial annual check up. The follow up with blood results is then as long as necessary. I'm fortunate that to date everything has come back as 100% with some very slight "abnormalities." These have always been where I might be one point outside the acceptable scale. The nurse always goes through this and anything else I want to raise.

I would not judge the service until your bloods have been checked and discussed with you. If you are concerned about BP buy a quality monitor and do it daily at home. Following near death illness this year I did the same and found it comforting.

Each year I look forward to my annual visit to the practice nurse and enjoy the comfort of knowing things are OK. Also I get peace of mind from having been proactive in ensuring I'm OK. For me it's a very worthwhile experience.

Too few men do these things.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
A number of reading's should be taken really unless the 1st one is fine. I'm surprised another reading was not taken once you'd had time to rest up even if time is pressing. One big issue now is relying on a machine that go's ping and not looking at the bigger picture.
No machine will ever beat a good Nurse armed with a steth and Sphyg one's not beaten Mrs 73 yet though she has many times.
Hopefully when test's come back you will get the same treatment as @PaulSB which should be bread and butter to a PN even an average one.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My diving medical picked up raised BP. Shortly after and quite by coincidence, I heard a program on radio 4 about BP which covered, among other matters, the different measures of "high" in the UK, Europe and USA. As a result I bought my own BP monitor and over a period of 4 weeks took my readings 2 - 3 times a day and two readings each time with 5 minutes between them. With the details in a spreadsheet it is easy to see what the averages are. Armed with that information your GP can advise.
Since then I monitor it a week at a time roughly every 6 weeks and put the readings into the original spreadsheet.
It's easy to see any changes and for visits to hospital, medicals etc., invaluable.

snorri

Legendary Member
Now I know a nurse in a doctors surgery won't have time for all that but I had barely walked in the door and taken my coat off let alone had time to relax.
If the nurse does not give the patient a little time to relax then the results will be misleading and the check would be better not performed at all. IMV

Bill Gates

A number of reading's should be taken really unless the 1st one is fine. I'm surprised another reading was not taken once you'd had time to rest up even if time is pressing. One big issue now is relying on a machine that go's ping and not looking at the bigger picture.
No machine will ever beat a good Nurse armed with a steth and Sphyg one's not beaten Mrs 73 yet though she has many times.
Hopefully when test's come back you will get the same treatment as @PaulSB which should be bread and butter to a PN even an average one.
I can get error readings on the normal machines you can buy. At a hospital last year I needed to have my blood pressure taken and even those machines they have at the bedsides in wards didn't give me a reading so the nurse went and got the stethoscope to get a reading. My lower reading can be below 55. Just taken my reading now before posting this 120/67. Not bad for a 70 year old with a history of 2 heart attacks. No meds only 75 mg aspirin daily
Edit
In memory just seen a reading 123/57

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
BP measurement would appear to be more of an art than a science, IMHO (I am not a medical expert).

I have been on BP medication for 22 years, and, attend Doctors annually, to have it "reviewed".

As @Pale Rider said above, the review only ever seems to suggest increasing the dose, or, adding more medication.

I do not like taking medication, unless absolutely essential (have you ever read the leaflet inside every box, with the list of side effects?, enough to scare you to death!).

After a couple of such reviews, I dug my toes in and disputed the suggested increases.

The result, my GP sent me on a course of exercise activities (walking, cycling, swimming).

Results were:

a) I returned to regular cycling after "falling by the wayside"
b) I lost a 14lb in weight
c) BP stabilised without increasing medication (although, I do still take the same dose I was taking 20 years ago)
d) I monitor my own BP, at home, taking several readings which I record in a spreadsheet
e) When I visit GP, for annual review, he uses my spreadsheet.

Good luck. ;)

PS, I do self medicate with regular Red Wine intake ;) 72 and still here.

Top Bottom