Blood Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThePainInSpain

Awesome stuff ThePainInSpain, I tip my hat off to you!

Keep it up buddy. In addition see Gaz's thread about losing weight and cycling, he too is an inspiration, and most of all.. start logging your mileage on My CYling Log and join the team!

biggrin.gif

Thanx for the kind words, but hey, that Gaz is an inspiration...........................

OP
OP
T

tjsc1

Hi Buggi
Thanks for your info...........
Was talking to a Doctor this morning (I drive a London Taxi--equals stress!!) and she was telling me that it was the 'lower' number, the resting pressure that they would be keen on getting down!!
Anyway off to the Docs on Thursday for the start of the tests and yes I will wait and have a chat with the Doc before splashing the cash, although I think I will still get one!!
Thanks again everyone for your words/help/advice.......it seems a bl**dy good forum this one.

Terry

OP
OP
T

tjsc1

Hi Slowmotion
Just read your PM. Thanks. Will indeed take note of what you went through!! I should know more Thursday.
Terry

OP
OP
T

tjsc1

Update!!

Went to the surgery today for blood pressure and blood tests.........
with the tablets BP is coming down, instead of 196 over 116, after a week its gone down to 186 over 112, apparently not fast enought!! so next week I have to have an ECG.
Asked about doing a bit more exercise, with getting a bike for gentle exercise, she said leave it until after EGC, if that is ok then should be ok.
So will have to wait......went to local 'Evans' and they have a 'Specialized Sirrus x-small waiting for me!!

Terry

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Went to the surgery today for blood pressure and blood tests.........
with the tablets BP is coming down, instead of 196 over 116, after a week its gone down to 186 over 112, apparently not fast enought!! so next week I have to have an ECG.
Asked about doing a bit more exercise, with getting a bike for gentle exercise, she said leave it until after EGC, if that is ok then should be ok.
Well it is at least moving in the right direction, so hopefully the ECG will be fine and you can be let loose on the roads (watch out for those cabbies :biggrin:)

So will have to wait......went to local 'Evans' and they have a 'Specialized Sirrus x-small waiting for me!!

Great to hear and I hope you enjoy it :smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hi and :welcome:

Been there, done that.

Don't be in too much of a rush. It took a long while to get the BP up, and it'll likely take a long while to bring it down.
Don't get discouraged, and keep the exercise and sensible diet going.
Can I recommend joining an local cycle club? My local CTC does shorter rides on weekday evenings, which are an easier way in.
And they stop at a pub part way round :cheers:

ThePainInSpain

You know my story from a previous reply, it took me about 10 months before I got into some serious excersize. Although ANY excersize is good, if like me, you haven't been doing any.
I started with walks, and gradually increased the distance.

I now feel guilty if I don't go out on the bike.

At my last visit to the Cardiologist the ECG was good, and I asked him how much excersize I could do, he told me as much as I want.

Keep us informed, and hope the ECG is ok.

OP
OP
T

tjsc1

Hi All
Yes, was pleased it is coming down....slowly!!
Will take note of your comments re exercise/diet.

'Mcshroom'.......I am a 'cabbie' for my sins......ha ha ha...........but I always give way to cyclists!!
Terry

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hi Buggi
Thanks for your info...........
Was talking to a Doctor this morning (I drive a London Taxi--equals stress!!) and she was telling me that it was the 'lower' number, the resting pressure that they would be keen on getting down!!
Anyway off to the Docs on Thursday for the start of the tests and yes I will wait and have a chat with the Doc before splashing the cash, although I think I will still get one!!
Thanks again everyone for your words/help/advice.......it seems a bl**dy good forum this one.

Terry

Yes, that's what i was told too, it is the second number that's apparently the one to worry about more.

Once the doc says to exercise, definitely get the bike. Did you know that professional cyclists have resting heart beat of 35bpm??? Not that you will ever have that I'm sure, but it just goes to show what cycling does for your cardio system!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
'Mcshroom'.......I am a 'cabbie' for my sins......ha ha ha...........but I always give way to cyclists!!
Terry

Hi Terry I'd noticed :biggrin:

I've just had my first experience of cycling in London today (London Bridge to Euston) and I must say except for one that cut in rather sharpish the taxis were very well behaved around me. Considering I was knacered and riding at about 11mph I thought they were very patient (unlike the busses :sad:)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi All
Just joined and need help/advice.
At the doctors last week (first time in 7 years), to get some cream!! They asked about taking blood pressure, I said OK!.
She was really shocked, wouldnt let me out of the surgery without taking a pill. she took it 4 times, the first was 212 over 116.
Anyway to cut a long story short we settled on 196 over 112. So next week am off to have a load of tests done, she said it might have damaged your kidneys/liver!!
Anyway, I want to get back into regular exercise........I know...I know....after the horse has bolted and all that!!
For my sins I drive a black taxi in London and the only exercise I get is with the dog once or twice a day.
I am thinking of getting one of those 'Moulton' bikes or something like that, I am on the small side (only 4ft 10ins) and need a bike with adjustments!!
Used to have a 'Ridgback' but that was years ago.
So, apart from telling you about my sex life, which, by the way is zero, thats it really.
So any help you experts could give me would be appreciated very much.

Terry

Hello Terry .Glad your blood pressure is improving.Once you get the all clear get out on the bike regullarilly and the weight will drop off week by week and your other problems will dissapear.

I dropped from a very unfit 16 stone to a muich fitter but want to be better 12 stone in less than a year of regular cycling. Specialized Sirrus has a good name ,I think you made a good choice.

Keep us posted ,reading other peoples success stories is allways encouraging.

OP
OP
T

tjsc1

mcshroom....11mph!! you were 'zooming'. Glad you reached Euston Ok!! Thats quite a tricky journey really. well done.

banjo....Four stone in a year....thats brilliant, have you stopped losing it now, got a 'six pack'? mine are around somewhere!!

Terry

Top Bottom