Bloody engine management lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Yup, got that T-shirt too.

I drive an 11 year old Citroen Xantia (HDi diesel). It has a 'k light' that illuminates from time to time, usually on hard acceleration. The engine may gag slightly at the same time. At first I took it into the garage and got the fault read - always the same P+four numbers fault code. Something to do with a valve on the turbo. It clears after two restarts unless the fault reocurrs. Now I just ignore it.

There's also a piece of trunking in the turbo circuit that's prone to flex/perish. That fault sends it into 'limp' mode wih a stop at 3k RPM. That I cannot live with and I'l pay for a repair.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
VAGcom used to be free software but the lead was a fortune. dunno if its changed .

Is it safe to google for that at work?
smile.gif

byegad

Legendary Member
It's not new.
I had a 1960s Austin A35 van bought as a banger in 1972. The oil light was always on, it didn't seize or rattle so I removed the bulb. 12000 miles later it failed its MOT, not surprising as you could lift the passenger foot well mat and see the road! The engine was still good and if you replaced the bulb the oil light was still on.

It's not new.
I had a 1960s Austin A35 van bought as a banger in 1972. The oil light was always on, it didn't seize or rattle so I removed the bulb. 12000 miles later it failed its MOT, not surprising as you could lift the passenger foot well mat and see the road! The engine was still good and if you replaced the bulb the oil light was still on.

Oil pressure switch at the engine end, I'd guess. I had the opposite experience with the first engine I ever rebuilt, in an old Citroen Dyane. I put it back together and discovered that the oil light wasn't working, but decided to drive it anyway. Within a week, the oil had all leaked out of the pushrod tube seals, unbeknownst to me, and I seized the engine at 75mph on the M54 ... Fortunately, I was alerted by its death rattle and managed to get the clutch down before it went.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oil pressure switch at the engine end, I'd guess. I had the opposite experience with the first engine I ever rebuilt, in an old Citroen Dyane. I put it back together and discovered that the oil light wasn't working, but decided to drive it anyway. Within a week, the oil had all leaked out of the pushrod tube seals, unbeknownst to me, and I seized the engine at 75mph on the M54 ... Fortunately, I was alerted by its death rattle and managed to get the clutch down before it went.
Even with a properly functioning leak free engine a Dyane/2CV at 75 is a catastrophe waiting to happen. ;)

KneesUp

Guru
I've heard good reports but not tried it myself. I believe it's worth doing some research on the Bluetooth dongle though.

U

User482

Resurrecting a five year old thread, has anyone bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD device for android and downloaded an app? If so, any good?
Is this a subtle attempt to outdo Andy?

My partner got an engine management light on a few weeks ago.
Turns out it was dirty fuel jets.
The reason ?
Using Supermarket fuels all the time,so she uses the premium Apple Sauce now.

Jody

Stubborn git
Resurrecting a five year old thread, has anyone bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD device for android and downloaded an app? If so, any good?

Depends what you want to look at and what you drive. Torque app is very good for seeing live data via a bluetooth OBD reader. But for more complex operations (vehicle dependant) you will want a laptop, the right programme and a wired connection.

Top Bottom