Bloody engine management lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not usually. If air gets into the system it will have to be primed. Older cars had a hand priming pump but more modern cars (common rail) need the injector pipes cracking open so the air is forced out when turning the engine over. There is no set rule.

I remember bleeding systems as I started my working life on the spanners, but it is a long time since I come across a diesel that did not self bleed though.

Time for me to do a bit of asking around the garages today.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
I remember bleeding systems as I started my working life on the spanners, but it is a long time since I come across a diesel that did not self bleed though.

Time for me to do a bit of asking around the garages today.

I can't speak for all engine types and I don't work on the spaners, but a Ford TDCi engine is a devil for it when air gets in the system from running dry. Some engine types self prime but not all. My mate won't learn and seems to run out regularly, resulting in a call to the AA.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4-iFV-alH-LR8gfduaTIAg

subaqua

What’s the point
I can't speak for all engine types and I don't work on the spaners, but a Ford TDCi engine is a devil for it when air gets in the system from running dry. Some engine types self prime but not all. My mate won't learn and seems to run out regularly, resulting in a call to the AA.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4-iFV-alH-LR8gfduaTIAg

the idea behind common rail was it "should" be self priming as the fuel is a circuit. the reality is it is NOT. and you really have to be careful or you can end up with Diesel mist at high pressure and speed being ejected . DAMHIKT .

I preferred my old Pug Van with the little hand primer on it you knew if there was a leak as it would be soft

Jody

Stubborn git
the idea behind common rail was it "should" be self priming as the fuel is a circuit. the reality is it is NOT. and you really have to be careful or you can end up with Diesel mist at high pressure and speed being ejected . DAMHIKT .

20,000+ psi is crazy for modern injection but it works wonders for eceonomy and perfomance.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Renault Megane has a prime pump on the top of the fuel filter housing 06 model..
i drained some water from the filter and after much head scraching found the prime..car started instantly after a few pumps..no amount of old style diesel tricks worked until i found the pump..meganes are a pain for access on most things..so you have to remove lots of stuff to do anything..
my van self bleeds after fuel filter changes..takes a little while 15...20 seconds of cranking

Top Bottom