Bloody engine management lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That old myth again, I do 40,000 miles a year on supermarket fuel.

Okay Dokey.
Travelling salesman ? :tongue:

Jody

Stubborn git
That old myth again, I do 40,000 miles a year on supermarket fuel.

Not sure its exactly a myth and depends on what car, which engine etc. Although the fuel itself is of the same quality supermarket diesel doesnt use the same detergent/detenrgent levels as brand fuel which can help keep the injector spray patterns right by reducing carbon build up on the tips and in the combustion chamber. My Focus has been running rough lately. Ended up putting some fuel in from Esso and it lost some (not all) of its power problems. Went back to supermarket fuel for a couple of weeks and the problems returned. Have run brand fuel now for the last 2 months and it drives OK again. One other problem is the mixing of bio (about 5%) in with the fuel which earlier common rail diesels don't like.

[QUOTE 1462381, member: 45"]Cool. Do you need software?[/QUOTE]
You can get them on ebay - they tend to come with vehicle EMS specific software. Bought them myself for two different cars - one worked like a dream the other one didn't work at all.

There was a case a while back of a man who stopped on the motorway hard shoulder and when the police arrived he told them it was because the engine management system was telling him the car was on fire... turned out he was listening to Adele 21 and the song title for track five came up partially displayed... :laugh:

Link (sorry in advance - Daily Mail!)

Jody

Stubborn git
because the engine management system was telling him the car was on fire...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpJ_AdLiNqVB9gw2ULzRJFueeyMfgQzzdyGzlMcqxegehyKSC6bQ.jpg

Probably had good reason if it was a Vauxhall Zafira :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My mate's four month old Vauxhall kidnapped him t'other day. He got to his destination, turned the engine off and went to remove the key and...it wouldn't let him. Nor would it turn on again. Nor, it turned out, do anything else. He couldn't even open a door to get out. Had to phone the RAC and wait until a man turned up with a laptop and managed to release him from the Vauxhall's evil spell.

speccy1

[QUOTE 1462370, member: 45"]Riduculous things. The systems these days are so sensitive that there are countless cars driving round with the things permanently on, but with nothing wrong with the car. What happens if a real problem then develops? How would you know?[/QUOTE]
Take the bulb out................simples

Was out in wifes car at the weekend - Skoda Roomster with a DSG 'box. The car juddered and the OPC light to came on. It appears this puts it into a limp mode and limits it to 3000 rpm.
This is not a good thing on the M1. In 6th it cruises around 2500rpm. On an incline, such as those you can encounter on the M1 the engine is a bit weedy so it can drop a gear and increase rpm, above 3000rpm...except now it won't :ohmy:. Not a particularly pleasant place to be.
Today, take it out and....no problems at all.

screenman

Legendary Member
Was out in wifes car at the weekend - Skoda Roomster with a DSG 'box. The car juddered and the OPC light to came on. It appears this puts it into a limp mode and limits it to 3000 rpm.
This is not a good thing on the M1. In 6th it cruises around 2500rpm. On an incline, such as those you can encounter on the M1 the engine is a bit weedy so it can drop a gear and increase rpm, above 3000rpm...except now it won't :ohmy:. Not a particularly pleasant place to be.
Today, take it out and....no problems at all.

Most problems like that will improve just by rebooting, ( turn off and on) not a thing I suggest you do whilst moving though. The light will then often stay out but the fault will be logged.

Top Bottom