Bloody Halfords. Inept - no - Damn Dangerous. And Ham-Fisted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I hear what you're saying, but it could have cost 10 pence and I still wouldn't have walked out of the store with the bike in that state. Being a bargain will be small consolation when something falls off/breaks/seaizes/spontaneously combusts and it kills you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nah, it's actually a nice bike for the low price. No issues with the bike itself. When I get the right size and build it myself.
So basically, they might be clueless, dangerous, incompetent morons, but you are still prepared to hand over your money and deal with them?
In that case you only have yourself to blame! Vote with your feet (or wallet) and show them that they are in the wrong. Price isn't everything and if more customers chose quality and service over pure bottom line price then they would only have 2 choices, up their game or die.

Slioch

Guru
That story is quite shocking, especially the thought of someone riding away on a bike with loose handlebars.

I'm not trying to defend Halfords culpability in any way, but I have bought 3x bikes from them during the last few years, and all have been set-up ok. I had to do some minor fettling as you'd expect, but nothing that compromised their safety (this is the Foss Islands Road branch, York).

The question in my mind (and I don't know the answer to it) is where the hell in their process is their quality control at the point that a bike is handed over to a customer? Is it non-existent?

Presumably on my 3 bikes I must have had reasonably competent "mechanics" putting them together, so the "quality control" element would presumably be built in to their level of personal competence (as would be the case for any independent bike shop). But if the "mechanic" is inexperienced, and that is known to be the case, then how can they possibly think it is ok to hand a bike over to a customer without someone competent checking it first?

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I'm all for a bargain but running the risk of death or serious injury to be able to enjoy one is a bit steep in my book. I draw the line at swollen plums.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Aye, I'm all for a bargain but running the risk of death or serious injury to be able to enjoy one is a bit steep in my book. I draw the line at swollen plums.

I think unless the bike came from a proper bike shop, not just a shop that sells bikes - big difference, then it's best to work on the assumption that it wont have been put together right and needs a check over before riding.
I've only ever bought two bikes new, both back in the 1980's. One came from a real bike shop, the other one from the staff discount shop of a large company a relative used to work for. In both cases, all I needed to do to be able to ride home was to fiddle around with the saddle and bar heights until I found a comfortable setting. Nothing was missing, damaged or butchered on either bike. Mind you, old school bikes with proper headsets and quill stems are pretty idiot proof, unlike it seems modern bikes fitted with those horrible threadless steerers..

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
So basically, they might be clueless, dangerous, incompetent morons, but you are still prepared to hand over your money and deal with them?
In that case you only have yourself to blame! Vote with your feet (or wallet) and show them that they are in the wrong. Price isn't everything and if more customers chose quality and service over pure bottom line price then they would only have 2 choices, up their game or die.
We don't have much power in this life but in this capitalist society we can at least choose where we spend our money. It does seem a bit incongruous to criticise them on the forum yet endorse them with your wallet.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
We don't have much power in this life but in this capitalist society we can at least choose where we spend our money. It does seem a bit incongruous to criticise them on the forum yet endorse them with your wallet.

Not if the choice isn't an equal one. £240 on something basic entry level or £400 for something same spec from somewhere else.
In this capitalist society we don't all have the choice because even £240 might be stretching things. That's how it works

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Why didn't you just nick one from where you work?

(Unfortunately I still can't get smileys to work before anybody gives me a morality lecture)

They might notice when I turn up on it the next day :biggrin:

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I hear what you're saying, but it could have cost 10 pence and I still wouldn't have walked out of the store with the bike in that state. Being a bargain will be small consolation when something falls off/breaks/seaizes/spontaneously combusts and it kills you.

Point being is that (aside from the gouged steerer) anything else was perfectly within my capabilities to resolve and set up better than a Halfords "technician". Buying built was purely for ease of not carrying a big cardboard box 2 miles on my shoulder, otherwise boxed would have been my preference

All that is irrelevant to me, it was always going to go straight on the workstand to set up properly. But to have loose bars and important missing reflector bracket under a canti straddle is unforgivable REGARDLESS of cost and not exactly needing full Cytech certification!

Richard next door might decide to take up cycling and go to a "reputable, well known brand" to buy a bike "put together professionally with x free services"
THAT is the major point. He wouldn't have had a clue about the issues. A friend talked about getting a bike to pootle round Derwent on. Those handlebars would have held on the top cap for a while until a pothole on a descent. THAT is the point. He would have considered the bike professionally built and safe to ride.

Would they only have themselves to blame?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This is such a strange thread. @Sheffield_Tiger you seem to be a bright individual who knows a fair bit about about the machine, but I just get the impression you have almost enjoyed this negative process knowing full well the pitfalls of Halfords and their staff. You even have a privileged insight into this member of staff. (Something about that doesn’t sit well with me) I can’t understand why you even got this far and why you parted with your cash. I don’t think ‘fussy’ comes into it. It’s just all so odd.

And it’s a bike that costs less than £300. I don’t want you to think I am judging you financially, but that isn’t a lot for a bike despite the good value you keep claiming. Nothing you have said upthread sounds like good value. You are buying into Halfords goods AND services. As others have said, take it back and get your money back. Forget this little episode and put it down to experience. Or lack of.

Johnno260

Veteran
I think the main point is the OP can find and fix these issues.

A novice/beginner could miss them and their enjoyment and above that safety could be compromised.

I bought a Boardman Hybrid from Halfords, fantastic bike, the warranty issues I had and the way they were handled were totally not acceptable, I handed the warranty paperwork back to them in the end and used the LBS and have never looked back since.

I bought my Boardman when I first got back into cycling and I was new to everything, I personally wouldn’t use them again.

I got my first roadie from the LBS, paid more but service has been above and beyond, shame the store has closed now as I love my Merida and would look to get another.

Top Bottom