Bloody mobile phone tossers!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:
Go on, you've hooked one. Reel me in. In what way is it just as risky?

I can't recall the exact study now, but it related to the risk of having an accident as not being substantially different however you used the mobile phone whilst driving. Additionally, the two situations of holding the phone and of using a handsfree kit were both worse than driving drunk.

NickM

Veteran
Mr Celine said:
They sometimes do - see this moron.
"The [self-gratification artist] has had three points added to his licence and was fined £60".

Well, that should put him off doing it again... :thumbsdown:

Mikey, the law was passed solely as a sop to people like you and me, so that our rulers could claim to be looking after our interests. Just like the 20mph speed limit in the road where I live, there was never the slightest intention of enforcing it :smile:

Of course, if you were to point out to these people that to pass laws with no intention of enforcing them brings the law as a whole into disrepute, you would be fobbed off with drivel about the cost of policing, or some such. This despite the state's apparent willingness to spend as much of our money as it takes to police southern Iraq and Afghanistan...

Punishment in a Sharia stylee is called for - one finger for each offence. And when they have no fingers left they'll still insist on driving with stumps :becool:

Keith Oates

Janner
Talking on the phone when driving or speeding in a car is not a crime compared with staying in a parking bay longer than stated, for that the fine is instant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What really gets me is the number of drivers in expensive cars using the phone (in the hand) ...... did the leasing company not let you spec hands free system........ They are bloody standard in lots of cars and start from less than 100 quid for an aftermarket one..... I don't use mine in the car.....it will wait till I get home, or if travelling then the passenger takes the call.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
I can't recall the exact study now, but it related to the risk of having an accident as not being substantially different however you used the mobile phone whilst driving. Additionally, the two situations of holding the phone and of using a handsfree kit were both worse than driving drunk.
Thanks for the info. It could be right, but I find it difficult to believe, to be honest.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It goes well with my perceptions, because phone conversations seem to occupy a lot of my concentration. You can often notice people on mobiles from their bad driving, they look like they might be drink drivers, and then you see that they're either holding a mobile or talking on a hands-free.

From the ROSPA web site:

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

* are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them
* fail to see road signs
* fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
* are more likely to ‘tailgate’ the vehicle in front
* react more slowly and take longer to brake
* are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
* feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and/or other people.

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Punishment in a Sharia stylee is called for - one finger for each offence. And when they have no fingers left they'll still insist on driving with stumps :becool:

Yeah, but at least they won't be able to press the buttons on their phones...

Maz

Guru
magnatom said:
From the ROSPA web site:

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

* are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them
* fail to see road signs
* fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
* are more likely to ‘tailgate’ the vehicle in front
* react more slowly and take longer to brake
* are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
* feel more stressed and frustrated.

They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and/or other people.
I don't dispute it for one moment.
What I would say is that your hands-free is less risky than your handheld (i.e. far less faffing aroung and no need to look at the phone etc). Best not to use one at all whilst driving, though, I'd say.

Maz said:
I don't dispute it for one moment.
What I would say is that your hands-free is less risky than your handheld (i.e. far less faffing aroung and no need to look at the phone etc). Best not to use one at all whilst driving, though, I'd say.

I assume you posted this before you read regulators last reply :becool:

I agree with BM and also using a hands free is illegal as far as I know.

Using a hands free while driving is distracting as you are also concentrating on talking bollox into your phone as well as driving.

Also what Bent Mikey says.Poor road positioning is either:-

Lack of experience.

Using a mobile phone or other distraction in said transport.

Human beings haven't got the brain power available to be able to drive and use a mobile phone at the same time.

Some of the human beings I know haven't got the brain power to cross the road safely.

Maz

Guru
magnatom said:
I assume you posted this before you read regulators last reply ;)
That's correct, I hadn't read it.
By hands-free I mean your Bluetooth technology (anyone else agree?)
Opening quote from report:

"The aim of this study was to benchmark the distraction caused by hands-free mobile phone conversations in relation to other conventional in-car tasks, and to similar conversations held with a front seat passenger."

Doesn't seem to be any explicit comparison between handheld (phone stuck against the ear) V handsfree (bluetooth jobby).

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
That's correct, I hadn't read it.
By hands-free I mean your Bluetooth technology (anyone else agree?)
Opening quote from report:

"The aim of this study was to benchmark the distraction caused by hands-free mobile phone conversations in relation to other conventional in-car tasks, and to similar conversations held with a front seat passenger."

Doesn't seem to be any explicit comparison between handheld (phone stuck against the ear) V handheld (bluetooth jobby).

I think you may be missing the point here Maz. It is the actual act of engaging in conversation that causes the biggest distraction. Reaction times and general ability is worse when talking on a hands free mobile phone than driving over the alcohol limit.

Maz

Guru
User said:
The TRL study shows that hands-free is worse than having a conversation or doing other in car tasks (e.g. switching channel on the radio)...
I agree with that.

User said:
It didn't test or compare with hand-held (as their use is illegal) or driving under the influence (as this is also illegal)...
In the study, they were using a simulator. They could've done these extra tests, I suppose.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'd be interested in seeing how much they were concentrating 30 mins into a journey with the radio on. Using different formats.

music
interview
news

etc

Just getting anti 'in car entertainment'

Top Bottom