Bloody mobile phone tossers!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:
Intuitively, I think Jakes Dad could be right. As a cyclist, listening to traffic is important for spatial awareness and as an indicator of the speeds of vehicles around you.

That's a sign that you're not looking enough according to CTUK. Hearing isn't a necessary sense for cycling in traffic.

Funny you say that BM...I find im looking behind me more and more now.I dont have my mp3 player up too loud and anyway listening to the same 200 songs over and over again gets boring.I've been using music players since 1985 on the road..never really been a problem.

domtyler

Über Member
I don't use a music player while cycling, I like all my senses to be available to me, whatever CTwhatever says!

However is listening to music taking away from your ability to concentrate on the roads? If so, then in-car music systems need to be banned immediately.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
That's a sign that you're not looking enough according to CTUK. Hearing isn't a necessary sense for cycling in traffic.
I'm almost sure there's a section in CycleCraft that deals with the importance of listening to traffic whilst riding. I'd rather err on the side of caution and take John Franklin's advice rather than CTUK's.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I ever cycle with music, I only have one earpiece in, and my hearing seems unaffected, which seems like the best way to do it. But I rarely bother, most of my trips being pretty short about-town ones.

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
If I ever cycle with music, I only have one earpiece in,
Hmmmm. To mitigate this situation, I suggest you wear the earpiece in the left ear (pavement side!!). :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:
I'm almost sure there's a section in CycleCraft that deals with the importance of listening to traffic whilst riding. I'd rather err on the side of caution and take John Franklin's advice rather than CTUK's.

Yes, that's one of the very few places there's slight divergence between CTUK and John Franklin. I think I'm personally a little more towards the look properly side of the argument, but I also accept that listening can help sometimes.

Put it this way, you can ride just fine without being able to hear, but would you be able to do the same without being able to see?

02GF74

Über Member
DON't EVEN START ME ON This.

it should be possibleto report these people to police who can then use mobile phjopne companyt provider info. to determine if the person was onteh phone or not - the police would need to get the phone number first.

but I doubt if the police are interested as all the paper work it creates, far easier to put up a speed camera ina 30 mph and catch motorists doing 34.12563 mph.

Cab

I have leaned over to a motorist who was yapping away at a junction (after nearly taking another cyclist out just earlier on, so engrossed he was in his conversation), and yelled so loudly and suddenly at him that he actually dropped his phone. Seemed genuinely scared. I know, I was aggressive, I probably shouldn't have done it, but the guy was right there and then a real danger.

Top Bottom