Bloody mobile phone tossers!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator said:
Bit different unless they like talking to their radio...then it's rubber jacket time.

Not really, you can get 'drawn' into whats on the radio. Guess thats what they're trying to do. As such concentration isn't 100% on the road.

NickM

Veteran
You're right. And I like talking to the radio. It doesn't often answer back.

On the rare occasion that I have to drive, I turn it off if I'm anywhere that needs concentration.

But then I don't claim to be an expert driver. Unlike nearly every other driver on the road.

Maz

Guru
User said:
I used to so the same - I would have the radio or CD on when on the motorway/A roads but I would switch if off in urban areas where a greater level of awareness of my surroundings was needed.
Be honest, Reg. You drive a souped-up Saxo with glass-shaking hifi system. You turn it down in urban areas so you dont get another ASBO. ;)

cannondale boy

Über Member
Driving at the same time as chatting to someone on a mobile phone is like being drunk at the wheel. There was an article a while back, about talking on a mobile is worse than being drunk at the wheel (just depends on how many pints you've had ;)). But most would agree that its not acceptable for someone to use a mobile while driving...if i was brave enough like BM i would do the same, but the reaction from some drivers would be this same as BM's experience. Where are the police when you need them eh?

domtyler

Über Member
It's probably best to just report people and let the police deal with it, you wouldn't try and tackle other kinds of criminals so why risk getting a beating or worse?

Maz

Guru
cannondale boy said:
Driving at the same time as chatting to someone on a mobile phone is like being drunk at the wheel.
Cops got no convictions cos they've been breathylising the phone users.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User said:
Except the police won't do anything about it unless they witness it...

...and half the time they'll ignore it when it happens in front of them! ;)

I was once overtaken badly by some likely drug dealer types, driver on the phone, and they got pulled over at the next intersection by a cop car. Too funny!!

domtyler said:
It's probably best to just report people and let the police deal with it, you wouldn't try and tackle other kinds of criminals so why risk getting a beating or worse?

Depending on the situation and the crime I would like to think I would tackle someone (i.e. seeing someone being assaulted if I felt I had a chance scaring them off or restraining them). But then, you know what I am like! ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
fossyant said:
What really gets me is the number of drivers in expensive cars using the phone (in the hand)l.
I've just had the boiling blood cycle home ... cos some prat in a BMW with leather seats nearly hit me as I waited to turn left at a side road ... he was going slow and talking with the phone to the ear and managed to correct his steering towards me....

You think that would be enough for him ... but I passed him as he got stuck waiting to go through a single file bridge. He then passed me by undertaking queuing traffic (400 m worth) waiting to turn right down to the M32 moterway. Don't know where he went cos the next time I saw him was when he was turning right from Muller RD to Filton Avenue beside me complete with phone, phone book in lap, flicking through the pages and trying to phone someone else whilst turning at a busy junction. I did shout at him then and told him to get off the f.......ing phone.

Now I'm all het up and its his stupid fault.... I just wish I had got his number plate. If I had and I reported it to the police ... would they have done anything?

summerdays said:
I've just had the boiling blood cycle home ... cos some prat in a BMW with leather seats

I just wish I had got his number plate. If I had and I reported it to the police ... would they have done anything?

No the Police would'nt do anything & what difference does his seat material make ?

Using the phone with a handsfree system is probably safer than cycling with an i-pod blaring in your ears ?

Simon

BentMikey said:
I was once overtaken badly by some likely drug dealer types, driver on the phone, and they got pulled over at the next intersection by a cop car. Too funny!!

Unfortunately it doesn't happen enough.;)

Using the phone with a handsfree system is probably safer than cycling with an i-pod blaring in your ears ?

Probably not.Depends on the cyclist/motorist I suppose.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Jakes Dad said:
No the Police would'nt do anything & what difference does his seat material make ?

Simon
The seat material (cream coloured) meant that I recognised the car again (and again) ... and luckily I didn't have an i-pod in my ears (it was in my bag where it normally is when I'm cycling), and he definately wasn't hands free. As he was reading his contacts book his eyes weren't on the road, let alone concentrating on the road.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
I doubt that!
Intuitively, I think Jakes Dad could be right. As a cyclist, listening to traffic is important for spatial awareness and as an indicator of the speeds of vehicles around you.

Top Bottom