Bloomin' Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not sure what your point is - there are more laptops here than people (1 x Linux Mint, 1 x Ubuntu, 1 x Windows 8, 1 x Windows 10) but they all need updates every now and again. The former pair never give much trouble - the HDD on those is partitioned into an OS slice and a Data slice, so even if the installation goes completely to shoot, I can download the entire OS and reinstall it in less time than it's taken the Windows 10 one to apply an update. But the Windows ones still need updates no matter how many other laptops there are!

It *seems* to have finished updating now.

Until tomorrow.

My point is it can't all be bad - 1 new Dell laptop, one older older but high spec Dell laptop, Dell desktop, all fine.

I had a VW Golf once and it was the biggest pile of self incinerating sheet it has ever been my displeasure to own, but most folk get on just fine with them. I would suggest much the same here.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had ONE YEAR of updates hell with Windows 10. It used to want to update every three days, but never completed and would reverse the update everytime.
I could not stop it from wanting to update, nor could I successfully update.
Then, suddenly the whole OS went Pete Tong and so I had to reinstall the OS, this actually fixed it!

PAINFULL

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Not sure what your point is - there are more laptops here than people (1 x Linux Mint, 1 x Ubuntu, 1 x Windows 8, 1 x Windows 10) but they all need updates every now and again. The former pair never give much trouble - the HDD on those is partitioned into an OS slice and a Data slice, so even if the installation goes completely to shoot, I can download the entire OS and reinstall it in less time than it's taken the Windows 10 one to apply an update. But the Windows ones still need updates no matter how many other laptops there are!

It *seems* to have finished updating now.

Until tomorrow.
I stick my data on a separate partition too, but you need to be a bit careful with this, a fresh Windows 10 installation from ISO seems to enjoy wiping out all partitions (including any Linux ones), as I've found out to my cost.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Windows is a hateful operating system. We've recently "upgraded" to Windows 8 at work, which is being lauded as a huge step forward from XP... I've yet to be told how a 5 year old OS can be considered a reasonable upgrade.
Good grief, I don't think it was a huge leap then, never mind now. Did they get a deal or something?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Windows is a hateful operating system. We've recently "upgraded" to Windows 8 at work, which is being lauded as a huge step forward from XP... I've yet to be told how a 5 year old OS can be considered a reasonable upgrade.
Always nice to see companies at the forefront of technology!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have 5 Windows 10 machines in my house, 6 if you include my work laptop. They all update themselves on their own without much bother. But then again they are running on decent sized disks. I really think the problem is such a tiny HD.

U

User6179

It's on the updates to the updates now; the ones it didn't know about until it did the first update

Happy days ^_^

Just to let you know, there is another massive update in a couple of weeks, not looking forward to it but hopefully might sort out a few things.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It is one of my “Conspiracy Theories” that Windows is a Russian / Chinese plot to cripple Western Industry. I cannot complain, it kept me gainfully (?) employed.

keithmac

Guru
I still need to try Linux on one of ours, problem is all programs I need (for tuning the cars mainly) all require Windows unfortunately..

All my internetting is done on the phone.

I did one of those OEM Windows 10 Pro installs on a new computer last week...£9.99 off tinternet and worked a treat onto new £35 SSD...NO WORRIES!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have 5 Windows 10 machines in my house, 6 if you include my work laptop. They all update themselves on their own without much bother. But then again they are running on decent sized disks. I really think the problem is such a tiny HD.

Same here, no issues on 3 laptops 2 desktops, and 1 tablet with Win 10.

Top Bottom