Bloomin' Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I hate Windows.

I'm sat here at too late in the evening, trying to update the kids laptop, because it's been bleating on about wanting to update itself but not having enough room for ages. She does not have loads of stuff on it though - music is all via Spotify, and she doesn't play games on it - she just likes to use various wikis to find stuff out and write, so it's all just documents really.

So tonight I vowed to sort it out for her. A quick scan reveals that c:/Windows is using 25GB on the 32 available. but there is no Windows.old to delete. There is a huge WinSxS folder but despite a bit of a google and trying a few things, it remained stubbornly huge. I freed up a bit of space though, so I tried again, and got a message I didn't read properly that seemed to suggest it could use a USB stick during the install as long as it has 10GB spare, so off I go to ferret around in drawers, eventually producing an empty 32GB USB 3.0 stick - much better than I was expecting to turn up.

I put it in. Windows doesn't recognise it. I re-format on my laptop (Ubuntu) and try again. "Oh ta" says Windows - "now you just need to free up 4GB of hard drive space, like I said in that message you didn't read properly" My protest that I'd given in a 32GB USB stick so couldn't it just use the spare 22GB on that were unanswered. So I copied all the kids documents on to the USB stick, and finally, after taking far too long to transfer the stuff, it was happy.

It then took over 10 minutes to be 100% prepared to install the updates, but for the last few minutes it seems to be doing naff all. And I want to go to bed.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have the same problem with my acer Switch. I have a 32Gb SD card and 32Gb memory stick. All docs are on SD card but still can't get it to do update. There's plenty of room on SD card but it doesn't want to use that. I've lost some dll files that show up at start up but can't get them repaired.

AndyRM

XOXO
Windows is a hateful operating system. We've recently "upgraded" to Windows 8 at work, which is being lauded as a huge step forward from XP... I've yet to be told how a 5 year old OS can be considered a reasonable upgrade.

U

User6179

Creators update from December?
I had to update drivers after that update to stop the computer randomly restarting, fast start up automatically on in the update which also causes problems, 3 month of hassle and still not fixed.
Good luck

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Creators update from December?
I had to update drivers after that update to stop the computer randomly restarting, fast start up automatically on in the update which also causes problems, 3 month of hassle and still not fixed.
Good luck
Yeah it's that one.

Deep joy.

It's on 17% now. I think I'll just leave it to it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Please don’t tell me you are trying to install Windows 10 on a HD with only 32GB capacity? Is that really the true disk size?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
It came with Windows 10 and that SSD - it never leaves the house so always has a connection to the NAS, and as I say she only uses it for browsing and writing, really, so there is enough room in theory.

It's on the updates to the updates now; the ones it didn't know about until it did the first update.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I hate windows 10. I upgraded my Sony Vaio when windows 10 first came out and it is rubbish. My laptop is now fit for nothing. It is slow lags and the windows ap store is the worst ever.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I hate windows 10. I upgraded my Sony Vaio when windows 10 first came out and it is rubbish. My laptop is now fit for nothing. It is slow lags and the windows ap store is the worst ever.
https://www.ubuntu.com/

keithmac

Guru
Windows is truely shocking how it squanders resources.

The whole thing needs redesigning from the ground up including removing the registry..

My old Amiga had a perfectly functional desktop on 512mb, all programs used a Datatype extension to the Icons which is a far better solution than the bloated Windows registry.

I still run XP on one of my laptops and it's still the best Windows version.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Multiple machines, no problems.
Not sure what your point is - there are more laptops here than people (1 x Linux Mint, 1 x Ubuntu, 1 x Windows 8, 1 x Windows 10) but they all need updates every now and again. The former pair never give much trouble - the HDD on those is partitioned into an OS slice and a Data slice, so even if the installation goes completely to shoot, I can download the entire OS and reinstall it in less time than it's taken the Windows 10 one to apply an update. But the Windows ones still need updates no matter how many other laptops there are!

It *seems* to have finished updating now.

Until tomorrow.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Ditch the laptop and use a tablet, simples.

Unless you need to type long documents there is really no need for them.
It's my kids laptop, and it's one of those folding ones, so you can use it as an enormous tablet if you want - but she writes stories on it, so a keyboard is useful, and part of the reason she has it is that although by the end of her life it will probably be a redundant skill, being able to type reasonably well is useful. Two of the other 3 are used for work mainly. And posting here. The last one is my old, retired machine that these days exists only so that I can consult the internet for solutions if there are no other options e.g. the other two are at work and the one laptop at home goes mammaries aloft.

Top Bottom