Bloomin' Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Thank you for that. Much appreciated.
No seriously, I still have a 11+ year old Viao that had Windows Vista, was fit for nothing, left aside for a couple of years, then I put Ubuntu on it and it still works absolutely fine today. I've maxed out the RAM to all of 4GB and put in an SSD, but for a 11 year old machine, it's very impressive. It starts up quicker than my MacBook pro I have for work. I think the only change I make to a default Ubuntu install for a desktop setting is to change the swappiness parameter from 60 to 10 to make it actually use all of the RAM properly.

You can install Ubuntu alongside windows, or just run from a live DVD you burn from an iso download, to make see if it works for you.

gavgav

Guru
My laptop was trying to update to the “fall” version of Windows 10, for about 2 months and kept failing. Eventually, after a half hour call and remote access from a Microsoft technician, it finally worked last weekend.

My home laptop goes slow as crap as W10 loves munching on hard disks. Lots of fun features and functions just have to be run when you start. It's an extension of the task scheduler addiction that began in Windows 7.

Contrast with my refurbished work desktop PC which I stuck an SSD in. Problems are rare, speed is good and it's grown on me.

I'm convinced W10 was designed to get the world on SSDs.

colly

Re member eR
I know sweet FA about computers / programming / operating systems. I know well enough how to use a computer though and I can find my way around some of the programs etc without too much trouble.
I have a Toshiba laptop that's over 5 years old and when Windows 10 arrived I made a big mistake of opting to 'upgrade' .
Once installed I could find about 10% of what I commonly use. Searching for stuff just didn't produce results. I struggled on with it and found work arounds to get things done but it was truely dreadful.
So last year when the hard drive packed up I nearly lost everything on it. ( yes I know.. back it up, back it up) Anyway had a guy recover what was on the old hard drive and he installed a SSD (think that's the term) and I asked if he would put the old Windows 7 back in to run it.

Bingo. It runs fast, I can find everything as and when I want it and it just leaves me alone to get on with stuff. ^_^

It will eventually come to the end of it's life so what I buy next will be a great adventure.

fossala

Guru
I scrapped Windows 10 for Lubuntu at the end of last year. I don't mind the 2D graphics, everything happens instantly.
I'm a geek and used to piss around with Linux and BSD all the time. Now I can't be bothered so I just use Lubuntu LTS runs perfectly.

Top Bottom