Blue Plaques and your bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m not sure this has been started, apologies if I’m wrong.
On my lunchtime working from home exercise during lunch, I noted a couple of blue plaques, so returned past them to grab a photo.
Some history attached to the first one, for William Blake, in part, responsible for ‘Jerusalem’ (the Hymn) apparently.
He was living in Felpham at the time of the incident noted at The Fox.
D82EA96C-271B-4C03-918B-FDB84E0972CD.jpeg

Another on the same pub tomorrow!

I suppose memorials and bikes might cover it but a good thread start*

Will need some close-ups of the plaques in addition to bike with plaque shot I think, or text to explain, as the plaques tend to be small and high up.

* One of the delights of cycling, particularly in london, is the ability to stop on a whim and read a plaque- I do it all the time.

Am a great fan of William Blake - if only a woman I once knew had paid attention to his wisdom.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats

Will need some close-ups of the plaques in addition to bike with plaque shot I think, or text to explain, as the plaques tend to be small and high up.

* One of the delights of cycling, particularly in london, is the ability to stop on a whim and read a plaque- I do it all the time.

Am a great fan of William Blake - if only a woman I once knew had paid attention to his wisdom.
Good point about the image of the plaque!
42A754D1-05F2-49E7-8E9C-D1B394A8A691.jpeg

😄👍

tom73

Guru

You talking about The 'official blue plaques" around London ? You can search them here inc history about how it came about.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/blue-plaques/

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
C2255CBB-C1AF-43F8-A8E0-CD09E641FF0D.jpeg

The second plaque on the same pub wall. This one George Moreland, who painted a ship leavin Chichester harbour on a wall of the original Fox Inn, in lieu of rent.
The original Inn was destroyed by fire in 1946 and rebuilt in 1949.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
42AFC53D-5119-4DCB-96F1-81BF8C2A20B9.jpeg

B4D6B3DD-CDED-4D69-87A9-81C1C0F5B041.jpeg

2 today, the first, Martin Venables, a nationally renowned geologist discovered and named several fossils along the Bognor Regis shoreline. He lived from 1901:to 1990.

The 2nd, William Fletcher, 1852 to 1941, Lord of the Manor, Aldwick, bequeathed the land for Marine Park Garden, opposite the beach at Aldwick. Just across the road and not far from the shoreline is a mulberry, beached after being damaged in preparation for the Normandy landings. I don’t have an image of this yet, but will see if I can get along there one evening.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
2 today whilst cycling my 2nd 50k challenge this year, the first at Great Ballard School gate...
198C9297-BF31-4469-A329-76063772288C.jpeg

A862C5F0-6945-45F0-A5E2-FEC63688FC41.jpeg

The second, a surprise to me, just at a stop point, I noticed this across the road.
D489EF5F-4833-4142-A002-7F46C4D19D0F.jpeg

61F1B0ED-E51E-4658-B1BD-88F7C562F048.jpeg

I find it quite an eye opener to observe what’s around me, and I’m managing to get these without prior knowledge, which shows I’m in my environment whilst cycling, at least to some level or another.

Top Bottom