Blue stuff that holds bolts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Edit: whatever you decidee to de-grease thoroughly. Use IPA.
2160B68F00000578-0-image-a-74_1447131789681.jpg

This?

Dont be tempted by the cheap stuff of eBay, I've had some crap blue liquid that was labelled thread lock, but served only to stain my fingers/clothes/rags/shed floor.

keithmac

Guru
We use this (blue), designed to lock but also allow release with a tool (no heat). Just a drop on the end will do.

I've found amost permanent threadlock is coloured red but could just be a coincidence as it's very rarely used.

$_3-1.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't agree with that. The screws on my glasses come undone if not loctited. Why is allowing your screws to undo a bodge ?

Sounds good on your specs, but the OP was probably talking about a bicycle.

One has to ask the question: Did the manufacturer use threadlock compound when assembling the bicycle?

The answer will be 'no', so there is no place for the stuff in maintaining the bicycle.

I believe there are one or two assemblies - not on bikes - where the maker uses threadlock compound.

That tells you the assembly is poorly designed, but it would make sense to reassemble the same way.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sounds good on your specs, but the OP was probably talking about a bicycle.

One has to ask the question: Did the manufacturer use threadlock compound when assembling the bicycle?

The answer will be 'no', so there is no place for the stuff in maintaining the bicycle.

I believe there are one or two assemblies - not on bikes - where the maker uses threadlock compound.

That tells you the assembly is poorly designed, but it would make sense to reassemble the same way.

The pannier rack on my thorn had threadlock on the screws. Are you saying this is a bad thing, and if so, why?

And are you also saying loctite (and others) make threadlock type products in a while host of different grades, all with datasheets explaining usage and limitations, and overwhelmingly supplied to industry - are just a bodge?

I'm not an engineer though am interested in engineering.

subaqua

What’s the point
The pannier rack on my thorn had threadlock on the screws. Are you saying this is a bad thing, and if so, why?

And are you also saying loctite (and others) make threadlock type products in a while host of different grades, all with datasheets explaining usage and limitations, and overwhelmingly supplied to industry - are just a bodge?

I'm not an engineer though am interested in engineering.

this is where the threadlock is used on mine. on the threaded hole that the lower support goes into.

a better engineering solution would be to use a much bigger diameter set screw/bolt ( don't get me started on the difference) but the frame material at that point would need to be bigger and i didn't design the frame.
its not a bodge to use the threadlock its using recognised engineering practice to provide a solution to a problem. shake proof washers have not worked and there is NOT enough clearance at rear between rear sprocket and frame to allow a nyloc nut .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
this is where the threadlock is used on mine. on the threaded hole that the lower support goes into.

a better engineering solution would be to use a much bigger diameter set screw/bolt ( don't get me started on the difference) but the frame material at that point would need to be bigger and i didn't design the frame.
its not a bodge to use the threadlock its using recognised engineering practice to provide a solution to a problem. shake proof washers have not worked and there is NOT enough clearance at rear between rear sprocket and frame to allow a nyloc nut .

Yebbutt why is a bigger screw a "better engineering solution" More than m5 to hold a pannier rack together, or to (say) screw a bottle cage to a frame would seem absurd. A dab of loctite weighs a few mg. Going up to m8 or whatever is just silly. Hey, I've abseiled off m8 bolts (prefarably more than one admittedly)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
As a former aircraft engineer, all the fasteners on my bike are wire-locked. :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
Yebbutt why is a bigger screw a "better engineering solution" More than m5 to hold a pannier rack together, or to (say) screw a bottle cage to a frame would seem absurd. A dab of loctite weighs a few mg. Going up to m8 or whatever is just silly. Hey, I've abseiled off m8 bolts (prefarably more than one admittedly)

its the motion on the botton bit that moves the harder screw against the softer aluminium just wearing the thread enough. the loctite acts to stop this microscopic movement.

was thinking more M6 to be fair as that has a lot more surface area thread to thread.

the best engineering solution is to use a bolt and a locking nut at the back with spring washers. I don't like threaded holes much on small stuff.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
its the motion on the botton bit that moves the harder screw against the softer aluminium just wearing the thread enough. the loctite acts to stop this microscopic movement.

was thinking more M6 to be fair as that has a lot more surface area thread to thread.

the best engineering solution is to use a bolt and a locking nut at the back with spring washers. I don't like threaded holes much on small stuff.

Not trying to argumentative, but why is loctite "bad" yet a nyloc nut "good"?
Assuming of course both are within the appropriate guidelines for whatever it is

subaqua

What’s the point
Not trying to argumentative, but why is loctite "bad" yet a nyloc nut "good"?
Assuming of course both are within the appropriate guidelines for whatever it is

as far as I am concerned no difference really. each has there own specific use . i wouldnt use loctite on a bolt that was holding a moving bracket i would use a nyloc or double nut it

Top Bottom