Boardman 2016 CX team replacement Jockey wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flixton

Hi, Hopefully someone can kindly offer some advice. I have a Boardman CX team 2016 which has a SRAM Rival 1x11 gearing. I think SRAM call this system "X-Sync". The rear derailleur is marked as SRAM rival 1 long (exact actuation???) I have knackered my lower jockey wheel and need to replace it. My question is what replacement is compatible ? The choice is quite confusing for a novice like myself. I assume that the pulleys for this X-sync system may differ from others but any assistance anyone can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BBB Roller Boys - just count the number of teeth. Better than the SRAM ones. They come with a number of shims depending upon the mech, it tells you which shims to fit.

OP
OP
F

Flixton

BBB Roller Boys - just count the number of teeth. Better than the SRAM ones. They come with a number of shims depending upon the mech, it tells you which shims to fit.
Thanks for the speedy reply. So it doesn't make any difference that it is a "X-Sync" I thought the teeth where a different shape or something ?

OP
OP
F

Flixton

I believe that the chain is specific for the X-sync. I may be wrong but I have something in the back of my mind that I have read somewhere that the teeth are different (and therefore perhaps the chain). I may be imagining this but does it have something to do with alternate teeth being thick and thin ?

OP
OP
F

Flixton

Just a thought but the jockey wheel is actually fine it's just the bearing that failed. I wonder if I could just replace the bearing ?

fossyant

Thanks for the speedy reply. So it doesn't make any difference that it is a "X-Sync" I thought the teeth where a different shape or something ?

Nope, just replaced my SRAM X9 jockeys. Think they said X-Sync.

OP
OP
F

Flixton

Looks like Rival jockey wheels do vary. Bearing might be specific. Please post a pic.

Here's the offending article. I am starting to get my head around it. The important thing seems to be obviously the number of teeth, the number of gears and the fact that it has an alternate thin/thick tooth pattern. You can get bogged down with codes and numbers when trying to purchase them but I think if I adhere to the above parameters and it looks the same hopefully I won't go wrong. It seems there is a cheaper BBB Roller boy alternative which says it is to suit SRAM 1 x 11 setup and Rival 1 derailleur and is available for about £15 quid (that's about a third of SRAM's). I may give those a go. If anyone can see any possible problems please let me know, I am always willing to learn!

Attachments

• Jockey.jpg
    Jockey.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 12

fossyant

It takes 626RS bearings - you can press them out. They are 1x jockeys though, but generic ones will work.. What I find is SRAM use an end cap which covers the seal too, but, on an MTB it traps dirt between the seal and end cap. The BBB and TACX ones use a spaller spacer and don't trap the dirt, which makes them last longer.

Have you tried popping the seal off with a pin, and giving them a good clean out (I use brake cleaner) then re-grease. They tend to seize with dirt.

OP
OP
F

Flixton

It takes 626RS bearings - you can press them out. They are 1x jockeys though, but generic ones will work.. What I find is SRAM use an end cap which covers the seal too, but, on an MTB it traps dirt between the seal and end cap. The BBB and TACX ones use a spaller spacer and don't trap the dirt, which makes them last longer.

Have you tried popping the seal off with a pin, and giving them a good clean out (I use brake cleaner) then re-grease. They tend to seize with dirt.
That's Useful advice, Thanks. The one I have shown is the remaining top pulley that is still intact the bottom pulley is the faulty one and the bearing was shredded and fell apart. I noticed the bearing code and had a look online and you can get a new bearing for a couple of quid. I think I will try the BBB Roller Boys as they seem to get excellent reviews but I will get a bearing for the originals and then I will have a spare set. I will try Amazon for the bearing so I can get up and running quickly because the sun is coming out on Tuesday (for a day at least). Cheers

fossyant

To press them out, find a 'socket' the same diameter as the outside of the bearing (or very slightly smaller. You'll need a piece of wood, or indeed a bigger socket. Gently tap the bearing out with a hammer and some wood. Best option is a vice.

OP
OP
F

Flixton

To press them out, find a 'socket' the same diameter as the outside of the bearing (or very slightly smaller. You'll need a piece of wood, or indeed a bigger socket. Gently tap the bearing out with a hammer and some wood. Best option is a vice.
I have just come in from doing exactly that and saw your post. The only thing I did additional to that was warm up the plastic pulley first with a cup of boiling water so as to make the plastic more pliable. Ordered a couple of bearings off Amazon and I should be back on the road tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom