Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

Excellent, and congrats!
> the battery is lighter than I thought it would be

Ah - and the amusing bit is that the piece you remove from the bike is battery PLUS motor! An impressively small motor.

The battery then pops out from that chunk, but you've probably noticed that already (push the button that says 'Press', at the same time as a Spock-like Vulcan death grip on the other two grip spots, and pull).

You don't need to remove it to charge it, of course, but you can buy a second battery if you're planning long trips.

> But any thoughts on those recommended torques?
I couldn't see it in our manual either. I'd email Boardman, and ask. They do reply.

Last edited:

ianmac62

Guru
@ianmac62 The weather isn't great am sure you will love it after a ride....am contemplating if I should commute tomorrow. 40mph gusts, I wouldn't try it on my road bike, but these eBikes are heavy things.....
Ah, that's the difference between commuting and retirement. I'm not the first to observe this: that one commutes in all weathers (adds a minute to put on waterproofs, another minute to take them off); but in retirement, one looks out of the window and mutters, "Not this morning. This afternoon perhaps. Definitely tomorrow." :laugh:

ianmac62

Guru
I didn't mention the tyres in my bullet points about kit on the bike. They are Vittoria Terreno Zero TLS Graphene 2.0; the TLS stands for "tubeless ready" which is marked on the tyre; 700x38; recommended pressure 45-80psi also marked on tyre. They received a good review here on Road.cc; the reviewer rode them for several winter months. He noted their "robust (construction) so happily take crappy tarmac and potholes in their stride". Suits me, particularly for touring. I'll make up my mind after several months, I think.

The saddle is indeed Fizik, the Tundra M7. The "M7" is boldly displayed under the nose. It doesn't feature on the Fizik website where the different Tundras come out as M1 M3 & M5. It's mentioned on the big online shops websites but always "out of stock." I'm guessing had the lowest specs of the Tundra range and it's no longer manufactured.

I'll edit my overall "first impressions" post above.

Ralphbostie

Well, I've collected my new Boardman e-bike. Didn't ride it home; the weather is a bit unkind at the moment - for the same reason, no photos in beautiful sunshine. Will either wait a day or two for good weather, or when I've fitted mudguards, for a proper test ride as I'd read the earlier comments about the exposed cables under the bottom bracket. (OTOH all my non e bikes have cables running there; but those cables will be wire or pneumatic rather than electric.)

First impressions:
  • love the colour as it's an understated blue and not as shiny as shown on the Boardman and Halfords websites
  • the down tube is just a little bulkier than shows on the websites
  • the battery is lighter than I thought it would be
The kit on the bike:
  • the controller (the remote) is in the top tube; I think I'm going to prefer that to on the handlebars, partly because it's clearly not likely to be detached and partly because it leaves more bar space for Garmin, lights etc
  • the battery lock is the newer model with the little lever
  • I like the flared drop to the bars; leaves the "on the hoods" position nice and narrow for a thin chap like me
  • the saddle is a Fizik Tundra M7
  • The tyres are Vittoria Terreno Zero TLS Graphene 2.0; the TLS stands for "tubeless ready" which is marked on the tyre; 700x38; recommended pressure 45-80psi also marked on tyre.
How I got on at Halfords:
  • the first thing that happened was that the assistant gave me the key (& spare) before I got my checklist our of my pocket; so no chance of leaving without it
  • the charger (both parts) was in a plastic bag firmly attached to the handlebars together with two manuals: a generic Boardman owner's manual and a Fazua Evation quickguide; so again no chance of leaving without them
  • moving on to stuff this thread had advised me to check - when I asked him, the assistant checked the torx bolts of the bottom bracket/cranks in front of me; nothing at all moved (and he was a good strong lad)
  • he then gave me a sheet filled in and signed by the assembler/mechanic with a list of what he'd done (and he spoke to him by phone); I *think* the numbers he'd filled in indicate the torque for four items (seat post, saddle, stem & bars, and those bb bolts) and the pressure in the tyres; he'd tightened the BB bolts to 40Nm - which is a great deal more than the 8.8Nm I saw earlier in this thread - but coincidentally that's the same number as the tyre pressure (!) he'd filled in, so I'll double-check
  • the same sheet had the frame number on it
  • I'm not used to thru' axles; the assistant didn't give me a demonstration but talked me through removal; this isn't in the generic Boardman owner's manual which is solely concerned with QR axles
Next steps while the weather is lousy:
  • put a Garmin mount on the bars
  • order SPD pedals; I have two sets of spares but they are well used (and it is a new bike!)
  • order mudguards; thanks for the advice above
  • fit mudguards first, then pannier rack
  • download & install desktop app and mobile app; update firmware/software; check power settings as above (or I might leave that until I've put in some miles)
  • visit the Boardman and especially Fazua websites for detailed instructions / videos - again thanks for the links posted above - there are no online references / addresses in the manuals I received
  • check the recommended torque of those BB bolts!
  • and charge the batteries!!
I don't think I'll go with the blue threadlock recommendation above at first as the bolts really did seem very tight in the shop.

But any thoughts on those recommended torques?

I've been really helped by this thread and so hope that this post gives a little help to future readers.
Hi Ianmac, yes the Torques should be 8.8Nm, I had four new ones sent me from Fazua last year with the blue thread lock on and the torq setting Recommended at this figure.

Ralphbostie

Thanks, @Ralphbostie - good to know! I think the Halfords assembler / mechanic muddled his torque and his tyre pressure (on the written report he gave me, I hope)
These are the bolts they send for replacement, not very big at all Ianmac, about 3/4 of inch long, I thought they was a longer bolt.

Attachments

• F6F76E40-BEA8-4041-8610-96D99FD86850.png
    F6F76E40-BEA8-4041-8610-96D99FD86850.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 19

ianmac62

Guru
Torque numbers will be very low with small bolts into aluminium material
Yes 8.0 - 8.5 Nm for those bolts. Mentioned earlier in the thread but I couldn't find it as first; and again on a Fazua YouTube video linked from an earlier post too. If that's what Fazua say, that must be it! :smile:

ianmac62

Guru
It may be me - YMMV - but Fazua seem to have taken down several pages of their website. When, for example, I click on several earlier hyperlinks in the thread from @richtea and @gzoom instead of being directed to the actual page (which I was a few days ago when I started reading this thread), I get to this:

Screenshot 2021-03-13 at 15.35.19.png

The only link that works for me is the very first from @GlasgowGaryH

As I say, perhaps it's me but has anyone else found this?

richtea

They've rebranded their pages. The system is now called Evation 50.
Adding a number to it, to my mind, suggests they'll have another version coming soon. But I could be wrong - I'm not known for my marketing skills. ^_^

They also seem to have a smaller number of bikes, but with useful weights & prices - at the bottom of the page.

Mocaccino

Hello all, It's coming up to a year with my ADV 8.9E and it's still going like a dream, thanks to all the posters with the useful tips, keep up the good work!

2nd Bike - I bought a SLR 8.9 as a 2nd bike but have hardly used it because the ADV 8.9E is better in every way so have lent it to a friend to get him into cycling.

Mudguards - I bought some mudguards (SKS Edge AL Road 46mm) to fit onto the bike for the winter months but they were a challenge to fit and required cutting, drilling and bodging (too wide to go through front fork and to reach rear bottom bracket) so wouldn't recommend if you want an easy fit. They work well to keep the muck off but have taken them off now as much prefer the cleaner look and the Sun is making more of an appearance :becool:

Horn - I have tried the traditional bell and a wireless electric one which were not loud enough so I decided to try the Hornit dB140 which does get the attention of most people before they wander into my path without looking both ways as it sounds more like a motorbike horn so makes them jump thinking they are about to be hit by something heavier than a bicycle, makes me smile and saves us all from an unfortunate collision ^_^

Attachments

• 20210209_114106.jpg
    20210209_114106.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210411_114709.jpg
    20210411_114709.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 61

scoobs

Regular
Hi all, new here. Still own a Boardman Hybrid Pro but have had a lay off from cycling and very much want to get back. Given the addition of time and lock down lard and to help the legs I’ve purchased an 8.9E. Ordered to be built and delivered to my home address. Arrived yesterday and I have to say in great condition in that it has the lever mechanism on the battery pack and, following advice here, on checking, the BB bolts are all nice and tight. Having finished putting the finishing touches to the build (bar and pedal etc) I charged the battery pack.
Now comes the bit where I seek help from the forum please. On trying to update software and firmware I seem to have hit an impasse. The battery (?) software has, I think, updated. At least it appeared to with the blue bar going L to R on screen having pointed the programme at the .bin file downloaded to the desktop. However I seem unable to find the update for the motor. Watching the Fazua video it talks about holding the battery pack as there will be movement. There is no movement at all whilst performing the above update.
I would very much appreciate it if somebody in the know can explain in very simple terms (the ‘simple’ bit is important) what I should be doing and where I get the downloads from, with links if possible please. Really looking forward to get this out on the road but want it fully ready first.

Thanks for reading my plea for help.

gzoom

Über Member
If you plug in the battery/motor you should be able to access the software for changing the support setup.

I personally haven't bothered to update to the latest firmware as am very happy with the motor performance already. I believe the latests software updates are to enable you to wireless change support setting via a phone app, so if you aren't interested in doing that there is no need to get too worried about software updates.

Mine is currently getting its 1st 'service' after spending a pretty hard 12months+ commuting in all weather/conditions.

49779234728_27b39d1bd8_c_d.jpg

scoobs

Regular
Hi @gzoom thanks for responding. Appreciated. Do yo get those advanced settings only on the latest update? I ask because I have those advanced options. My confusion is that my motor doesn’t move/calibrate at the end of the update process where the Fazua video how to states that it will and one must hold it still. It’s quite possible the unit shipped with the latest FW already installed so hence no movement during the process.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom