Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
I know there has been more updates pushed out by Fazua recently. Try joining the Facebook group.

It only takes a few seconds for the motor to update with new settings on my bike. The software is probably coming on 8 months old so I would have thought a new bike today will already have the latest firmware.

scoobs

Regular
I know there has been more updates pushed out by Fazua recently. Try joining the Facebook group.

It only takes a few seconds for the motor to update with new settings on my bike. The software is probably coming on 8 months old so I would have thought a new bike today will already have the latest firmware.
That’s my thoughts as well now you say that. Thanks.
FB group? Fazua?

Mocaccino

Hi @gzoom thanks for responding. Appreciated. Do yo get those advanced settings only on the latest update? I ask because I have those advanced options. My confusion is that my motor doesn’t move/calibrate at the end of the update process where the Fazua video how to states that it will and one must hold it still. It’s quite possible the unit shipped with the latest FW already installed so hence no movement during the process.
Thanks again.

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the motor not moving when updating. On my first update from v1.0 to v2.0 the motor moved but on my last update to v2.04 the motor didn't move. You can check the firmware version on the Fazua Rider app, click on Menu > Vehicle > click the icon. If it's showing as below then you're on the latest v2.04.

Fazua App.png

inveral

Regular
Very nice but you might illicit cries of 'Oi, cheat' when other cyclists spot the thick downtube as you speed past.
“Oi cheat”is an out of date concept. People ride e bikes for many reasons. I now use an e bike because I have arthritic knees and can no longer manage the hills. I would like to be able to continue using a non e bike but it is not possible. E bikes allow many people to maintain fitness and enjoy cycling as they are pedal assist, especially bikes like the Boardman which gives minimum assist.

inveral

Regular
Popped into halfords to pick up some polish & noticed this new machine.
Not bad for 16kg
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9e-mens-adventure-electric-bike
I,ve been looking at this bike but am a bit worried about the sizing. I’m 5ft 10inches and the size chart shows this as small. I have an Orbea road bike that is a perfect fit medium. They don’t have the Boardman in any of the showrooms so it is difficult to gauge the correct size. Do you have any information.

CXRAndy

Guru
I,ve been looking at this bike but am a bit worried about the sizing. I’m 5ft 10inches and the size chart shows this as small. I have an Orbea road bike that is a perfect fit medium. They don’t have the Boardman in any of the showrooms so it is difficult to gauge the correct size. Do you have any information.

5'10" is medium size usually. I'm the same and have 56cm frame bikes which are generally classed medium.

Which model Boardman are you looking at? Also what size and model Orbea? I can compare for you

gzoom

Über Member
I'm 5'11, my Boardman is a Large and I find the fit fine. My Trek road bike is a 58cm frame. At 5'10 I would have thought you 100% need a medium at the very least.

inveral

Regular
5'10" is medium size usually. I'm the same and have 56cm frame bikes which are generally classed medium.

Which model Boardman are you looking at? Also what size and model Orbea? I can compare for you
I was looking at the Boardman adv gravel bike.My Orbea is a d30 Gain in medium(55cm)

CXRAndy

Guru
The two bike frames geometry are for medium

Orbea Gain D30

Screenshot_20210504-093601_Docs To Go.jpg

Boardman Adv E gravel

Screenshot_20210504-094010_Chrome.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
There is very little difference in the medium spec, unfortunately Boardman neglect the reach and stack figures. However the head tube are the same length, the top tube is 5mm different and the images of the bikes look very similar in shape. The only noticeable difference is head angle with Boardman having a more relaxed 70.5 degrees. This will make the bike feel more stable at speed

My own bike has a 70 degree head angle and is extremely secure in high speed descents 50+mph. Some might say 70 degree is slow but my own experience it is not the case.

inveral

Regular

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Nah, just being cack-handed!

I did manage to turn it back on yesterday as I left work without dropping it on the ground, so that's a start. I might have finally mastered the 'hold on to the dropping battery' grip .... :laugh:

I hadn't realised until last night that there's a standby mode where you turn it off on the controller only, and the battery will then turn off after 8hrs of inactivity - so from today I'm not removing it to turn it off/on unless it's shut down by itself after 8hrs; I'm just turning it off at the controller (which puts it into standby).

(I also realised last night that there's a mobile app which links to your bike drive system via bluetooth and gives you all kinds of drive info, stats, mapping and bike computer-like functions. Cool!)
Iirc the new controller are headunit compatible. You should see them on Garmin and wahoo units at least. My controller is pre BT.

Swidy

Hi everyone, I new on here and have just picked up my new Boardman 8.9 adv e bike, I have a question if I may, the lock on the battery doesn't seem to work, it feels very loose around the key hole, my question is when the battery clicks into place does it lock as in, I would need the key to release it again as mine doesn't?

Swidy

Thanks @Ralphbostie I aim to fit a pannier rack rather than a frame bag (I'm old skool). I *think* that Halfords exclude e-bikes from the discount from British Cycling. I have paid and went through a link from the Barclays Bank website (rather than directly to the Halfords website) where Halfords are signed up to that bank's "Blue Rewards" scheme. Should receive a small cashback into a current account I have with that bank. Also a small cashback from using a cashback credit card. Not great but helps! (Another online retailer that is signed up for "Blue Rewards" is Apple who don't appear to offer any discounts elsewhere.)
I picked my 8.9 adv e bike up today and got £269 discount with British cycling membership

richtea

Hi everyone, I new on here and have just picked up my new Boardman 8.9 adv e bike, I have a question if I may, the lock on the battery doesn't seem to work, it feels very loose around the key hole, my question is when the battery clicks into place does it lock as in, I would need the key to release it again as mine doesn't?
On our Boardman (a year older than yours) the battery lock has no positive action, you just turn it fully clockwise with no resistance or click, etc. There's no indicator on frame as to which way is locked/unlocked, but unlocked = fully clockwise.
The key is vertical when locked or unlocked. Anything else is 'in between' on ours.

Take the key with you. If you set off without switching the battery on, you'll need the key to unlock and press the (now hidden) start button.
[Note: I think the latest Fazuas may turn on from the buttons now, so it may depend on which one you have.]

Top Bottom