Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Fazua has launched their new App. Now you can change support levels on the phone, but it currently doesn't seem to record ride, so you will still need to use the Wahoo app to get power readings. Still good to see consistent updates from Fazua

51248245416_e1bf124893_c_d.jpg

DynaMike30

Hi everyone! New Boardman adv8.9e owner here.

Just joined so I can ask if any other Boardman adv8.9e 2021 version owners can actually lock their batteries into the frame?

I turn the key all the way but the key won’t lock the battery in. It just hits a stop and I can’t remove it until I turn it back again.

Do I have a factory faulty lock? it seems the key is not used for anything?

I’m worried about leaving the bike anywhere unattended with an unlocked battery.

DynaMike30

Just joined so I can ask if any other Boardman adv8.9e 2021 version owners can actually lock their batteries into the frame?

I turn the key all the way but the key won’t lock the battery in. It just hits a stop and I can’t remove it until I turn it back again.

I’m worried about leaving the bike anywhere unattended with an unlocked battery.

I took it to Halfords and it was indeed a faulty key barrel. The battery should be permanently locked if the key isn’t in which it wasn’t.

They changed the barrel there and then from another bike they had and it’s sorted now..

kudos to Halfords for that but shame on Boardmans poor QC . Really disappointing…

Swidy

I have the same thing, took it back to Halfords they stripped it and repaired it and been ok since, the key turns anticlockwise to release the key and the battery should then be locked on, i.e you then cannot lift the catch to release battery

gzoom

Über Member
Really impressive by the software support provided by Fazua. When I bought the bike it could barely connect to my phone, now I can push personalised support profiles via the phone/bluetooth, and get more data reads outs from the battery without having to connect up the USB cable.

Apparently Fazua is releasing an updated motor/battery soon, I wonder if it would be compatible with the older bikes or offer retrofit options. I wouldn't say no to an bump in battery capacity from 250Wh to 300Wh.

51259426184_996f8cf3b9_c_d.jpg

51259721285_ba5a1be426_c_d.jpg

dilip1186

Just I would share my experiences with the Boardman 8.9 e as there seem to be some common issues. First issue I had was the locking mechanism for the battery was very fiddly and hard to tell what position to have the key in before pushing the release button. After it got gradually more fiddly it finally refused to release so had to take it back to Halfords.
At the same time the crankshaft bottom bracket gearing mechanism started to develop a clunking noise which got worse. Discovered 4 star drive bolts were coming loose on the underside. Tightened these as much as I dared but still continued to come loose after a few miles.

When I returned the bike to Halfords they replaced the four bolts which seemed to deal with the loosening problem and they more or less admitted that the battery retaining system had a design fault and this was replaced with a completely different design that Boardman had clearly been working on which involved blanking off the push button release and installing a small release lever on the underside of the down tube.

Since return of the bike the battery removal has improved but still fiddly and easy to drop without your third hand to assist.
Everything seemed OK for about 100 miles of use before the drive crank started to clunk again. Checked the four bolts and they were tight. After some more checking discovered that there are also four bolts on either side of this mechanism (how many bolts do you need to hold a gear drive in place!) Some were loose so I tightened these and it hasn't clunked now for about 150 miles.

I do quite like this bike especially when everything is working OK.

My main gripes are:-
  • The fact that you have to remove the battery from the frame to charge.
  • The battery goes into hibernation mode after about 6 hours. You can't reawaken it using the handle bar controller so you have to remove the battery from the frame and press the button on top of the battery.
  • When Halfords replaced the battery securing mechanism with a new improved design they clearly had been working on this modification for some time and new the old mechanism was crap. So why did they not do a product recall rather than wait for customers like me to be stuck with a bike they couldn't charge.
  • The bolt loosening issue on the crankshaft gearing mechanism appears to be common, I have seen it mentioned in this thread and others. So again if Halfords new there was an issue and the solution was a different style of bolt why not a product recall rather than to potentially allow customers to ride around on bikes where the mechanism is gradually loosening and getting damaged.
  • These two design flaws on this bike suggest to me that when they designed and built this model there was no proper robust road testing to expose any flaws, that is bad marketing that will often back fire and affect their reputation.
As I said before I do like this bike, it's a lovely firm stable ride, reasonable weight for the price and the power assist is good, however I did reach a stage where I very nearly returned it to Halfords to ask for my money back.

gzoom

Über Member
@dilip1186 In defense of the bike all the issues mentioned are to do with Fazua.

I've been using mine as the commuter, roughly 2-3 times a week for the last 18 months. I've covered some 2500 miles now, and very happy with it.

I have the original locking mechanism and find it quite easy to use, looking at the Fazua FaceBook group the new mechanism seems far more unreliable, with the plastic lever often snapping.

My 8.9e is used much more than my road bike, its really abused constant by pot holes, rain, and rarely cleaned. I would really miss it now if you took it away from me.

Wooly67

Boardman 8.9e - Finally managed to get the cover for the wires on the bottom bracket, from Upgrade bikes Ltd.
cost £20 plus postage. Haven’t fitted it yet ..... watch this space...

Last edited:

Tom...

Veteran
£20 :wacko:

Wooly67

Just I would share my experiences with the Boardman 8.9 e as there seem to be some common issues. First issue I had was the locking mechanism for the battery was very fiddly and hard to tell what position to have the key in before pushing the release button. After it got gradually more fiddly it finally refused to release so had to take it back to Halfords.
At the same time the crankshaft bottom bracket gearing mechanism started to develop a clunking noise which got worse. Discovered 4 star drive bolts were coming loose on the underside. Tightened these as much as I dared but still continued to come loose after a few miles.

When I returned the bike to Halfords they replaced the four bolts which seemed to deal with the loosening problem and they more or less admitted that the battery retaining system had a design fault and this was replaced with a completely different design that Boardman had clearly been working on which involved blanking off the push button release and installing a small release lever on the underside of the down tube.

Since return of the bike the battery removal has improved but still fiddly and easy to drop without your third hand to assist.
Everything seemed OK for about 100 miles of use before the drive crank started to clunk again. Checked the four bolts and they were tight. After some more checking discovered that there are also four bolts on either side of this mechanism (how many bolts do you need to hold a gear drive in place!) Some were loose so I tightened these and it hasn't clunked now for about 150 miles.

I do quite like this bike especially when everything is working OK.

My main gripes are:-
  • The fact that you have to remove the battery from the frame to charge.
  • The battery goes into hibernation mode after about 6 hours. You can't reawaken it using the handle bar controller so you have to remove the battery from the frame and press the button on top of the battery.
  • When Halfords replaced the battery securing mechanism with a new improved design they clearly had been working on this modification for some time and new the old mechanism was crap. So why did they not do a product recall rather than wait for customers like me to be stuck with a bike they couldn't charge.
  • The bolt loosening issue on the crankshaft gearing mechanism appears to be common, I have seen it mentioned in this thread and others. So again if Halfords new there was an issue and the solution was a different style of bolt why not a product recall rather than to potentially allow customers to ride around on bikes where the mechanism is gradually loosening and getting damaged.
  • These two design flaws on this bike suggest to me that when they designed and built this model there was no proper robust road testing to expose any flaws, that is bad marketing that will often back fire and affect their reputation.
As I said before I do like this bike, it's a lovely firm stable ride, reasonable weight for the price and the power assist is good, however I did reach a stage where I very nearly returned it to Halfords to ask for my money back.
I had all the same problems . Eventually...after a lot of back and forth with Halfords, they ordered me a new bike. Touch wood this ones has been fine. ‘

D

DavidTyland

I have lived with the usual problems associated this bike (battery compartment and lower bracket) since I bought it in February 2020 and managed to carry out all of my own servicing to keep it fairly roadworthy, despite having a 3 year service agreement. Today I took it back to Halfords for a service "assessment" before deciding whether to keep it or sell it for spares! I was told that I cannot even purchase the new Locker, as fitting it would leave a hole where the push button is located, thereby invalidating the guarantee. It would seem that I have the earlier model that is not compatible with this new, upgrade locking mechanism? The drive "clunking" has just recently stopped since I Locktited the holding bolts in. I also asked about upgrading my tyres to tubeless, as they are stated to be "tubeless-ready", but it seems that they are not. Apparently, because the valve holes are drilled offset, the bike technicians cannot get the tubeless valves to seal properly. Has anyone tried this upgrade? Otherwise "Slimeing" my tubes every few months seems to keep the tyres puncture free. I suppose I will still be able to use the new tyres and valves that I have just purchased on another one of my bikes. Meanwhile I'm waiting for Halford's call and their proposals?

CXRAndy

Guru
Not had a problem with tubeless valves not sealing. Using the correct rim tape and having a double layer over the valve hole. I find a 6-8" overlap sufficient. Once inflated, you will find the valve rim nut needs tightening down, this is a good sign the valve has sealed

richtea

I was told that I cannot even purchase the new Locker, as fitting it would leave a hole where the push button is located, thereby invalidating the guarantee.
The 'new' remote (new as in 6-9 month ago) fits in that hole, and Fazua were offering a deal to buy both the lock and remote at the same time as an upgrade. It was named: 'Bundle Locker pX + Remote fX'
I can't see it being offered in English, but it's here in French:
https://www.ebike24.fr/fazua-pack-locker-px-remote-fx

I would email Fazua directly, and ask them if they will sell you the pair, and also maintain your warranty.
Quite an expensive fix for a hole though, it has to be said.

Top Bottom