Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
One trick I heard about with tubeless setup was to seat the tape with a tube.

Clean the rim so no grease or contaminents are present. Install your tape of choice. Then use a tube in your tyre of choice to seat/seal the tape to the rim bed.

I have not fully tried this method yet, my brother has borrowed my tubeless ready wheelset because he has damged a few spokes on his wheelset. When I get them back it will be one of the first things I try.

Wooly67

My 8.9e was replaced by Halfords in Sept 20 for a new bike due to bottom bracket problems.
my bike was stolen from my shed in August 21, however they didn’t get the back wheel or the battery.
so now I have a nearly new battery for sale. I also have the original charger plus a brand new one unused that I got with the second bike. The back wheel also up for grabs, if anyone is interested.
looking for Battery - £200, Charger £60, New charger £70, Rear Wheel with cassette, £60
would prefer pick up , if anyone interested. All well looked after.
this will help towards a new bike, as I am getting a different bike, don’t want to deal with Halfords again.
thanks.

Also advertised elsewhere .👍

Last edited:

bidsb

Just picked up my new 8.9e (and many thanks to everyone who posted here, it really helped me in making a decision about what to get). One nice surprise is that it comes with the very newest Fazua controls (they are now on the crossbar not the down tube).

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_142007738.jpg
    PXL_20211004_142007738.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20211004_141106481.jpg
    PXL_20211004_141106481.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 102

legitsan

Regular
Just picked up my new 8.9e (and many thanks to everyone who posted here, it really helped me in making a decision about what to get). One nice surprise is that it comes with the very newest Fazua controls (they are now on the crossbar not the down tube).
Glad to know that its got the latest Fazua control I like you wish to thank everyone who posted here.
I have yet to buy one .I wonder if I could ask how much cadence is needed, the new update is 50 to120 ,
but my average speed is 10 miles per hr ,so I think my cadence is around 60 ,is this too slow ,I can go all day
at that speed .Would I have to switch it off most of the time ? or can I set it for say 11miles hr on the flat ,
Also where I live in Derbyshire we have lots 20% plus hills I can just get up some still but I am so slow
if a car is behind me I can't concentrate on my effect .So would the Fazua motor be man enough for these
hills ?I tried to hire one from Halfords but the only ones you can try are none Boardmans ?
Thank's in Advance

gzoom

Über Member
The Fazua motor support kicks in at pretty much any cadence. At slow cadence its really noticeable especially if you are trying to do slow speed manoeuvres and you get a sudden kick of torque :smile:.

I wouldn't worry about a lack of power the motor can provide more than enough. With full assistance on with reasonable effort I can get up the sleepiest hill in Leicestershire (not that step), nearly 1 minute quicker than without the motor support.

Yes you can switch it off, but once you get use to the boost its hard not to use it. I see mine as essentially a car replacement, that's how easy it makes cycling if you let the motor do the work.

50342204353_8b92989856_c_d.jpg

Taff 006

Just bought one. Three charges and 156 miles later and I am delighted with the bike. Deals with Welsh hills well and so much easier to pedal ‘off power’ than an EMTB.
Sks guards going on for winter and a frame bag for some extra ‘light storage of jacket etc.

Taff 006

Have changed out the front 42 for a 38 tooth chainring for hillier terrain in Brecons and Mid Wales.
Fantastic bike so far.

Ed Branch

Regular
I've just joined the forum and glad to be here. I have a Boardman Adv8.9 which I bought in Feb this year. Up to now I have covered around 1,600 miles and am very pleased with it. I've been viewing the posts in this thread for some time and gained a lot of info. - many thanks to you all.
My battery range varies from around 25 miles to 50 miles, depending on terrain etc, I was considering buying a second battery to extend my range.
Unlike my original battery (500) which has a switch on it, the new ones (500X) don't. Can anyone tell me if it's still possible to switch the new type batteries on without using the new type Fx or Bx remotes? (Like does it automatically wake up when you insert it in the downtube or does it sit there like an expensive paper weight?)
I did try emailing Fazua but they didn't seem to understand the question.

legitsan

Regular
Thanks to gzoon and Taff 006
First off I sorry that I didn't reply but been on Grandad duty ,my daughter had her gallbladder removed ,and her partner had to go back to University.Don't know about other people but I like my own bed ,its not far as a Crow view on the map but its been a bus train bus there and back .Its about 30 miles one way.That's one of the reason's I looking at fazua power Electric bikes.
About the new Fazua Battery The associated battery is usually always the Energy 250X.
these links my help you but its not clear ,but don''t know how you find out about your bike if its a Boardman's if you phone Halford's the call center is in South Africa
Ride 50 Street and Ride 50 Trail: new ebike drives from Fazua
Fazua Energy 250X I 252Wh e-bike Battery | CANYON CH

The first one is about the latest updates and backward compatible
the second one shows in detail the new battery and that you now don't need to take it off the bike to charge it which is a plus point for me
If you find out leave word please
All the best everybody

Last edited by a moderator:

gzoom

Über Member
Heading into the 2nd winter of commuting duties on the Boardman.

Fitted some new heavy duty Marathon+ tyres and the spare battery/charger I got from @Wooly67 has been game changers for me....as I now can just go fully out in 'Rocket' mode for my entire commute and just charge up/change batteries at work rather than worry about saving enough charge for the return leg.

Will need a new rear cassette soon I think, along with brake pads, but the bike is earning its keep and helping me to keep the car in the garage:smile:.

51678699263_2b618922e7_c_d.jpg

Ed Branch

Regular
I've just joined the forum and glad to be here. I have a Boardman Adv8.9 which I bought in Feb this year. Up to now I have covered around 1,600 miles and am very pleased with it. I've been viewing the posts in this thread for some time and gained a lot of info. - many thanks to you all.
My battery range varies from around 25 miles to 50 miles, depending on terrain etc, I was considering buying a second battery to extend my range.
Unlike my original battery (250) which has a switch on it, the new ones (250X) don't. Can anyone tell me if it's still possible to switch the new type batteries on without using the new type Fx or Bx remotes? (Like does it automatically wake up when you insert it in the downtube or does it sit there like an expensive paper weight?)
I did try emailing Fazua but they didn't seem to understand the question.
Since my last post I have bought a new 250X battery for £395 from https://electricgarageshop.co.uk/c/e-bike-battery
It arrived within a couple of days and I am really pleased with it. I was finding that on my rides, after around 40 miles I was starting to get battery anxiety - but not any longer! I now carry the spare battery in my bag and I realise it is similar to the old type 250 battery as it DOES include a switch & capacity LEDs. I just have to remember to switch it on before inserting it into the frame. (I've just edited my mistake - I typed 500 battery instead of 250 - it must have been wishful thinking...)

Last edited:
D

DavidTyland

The Fazua motor support kicks in at pretty much any cadence. At slow cadence its really noticeable especially if you are trying to do slow speed manoeuvres and you get a sudden kick of torque :smile:.

I wouldn't worry about a lack of power the motor can provide more than enough. With full assistance on with reasonable effort I can get up the sleepiest hill in Leicestershire (not that step), nearly 1 minute quicker than without the motor support.

Yes you can switch it off, but once you get use to the boost its hard not to use it. I see mine as essentially a car replacement, that's how easy it makes cycling if you let the motor do the work.

View attachment 613338
After more than a year of lockdown, I managed to take my Boardman back to Halfords a few months ago because the locking mechanism was faulty and often I could not get access to the motor and battery. Halfords refused to upgrade the Locker so I went directly to Fazua in Germany with my complaint and they promptly sent me a new Locker and blanking piece. Since last summer the bike has been perfect.
However, now that I am getting more adventurous and testing myself with longer, faster and steeper club rides to find out what is the maximum distance I can achieve, I have just found a new problem.
The bike is fine on the flat and moderate hills up to 1:10, but on a long, continuous climb, even in Rocket mode with quite high cadence, I can suddenly get a loss of power from the motor and have to rely on leg power and then usually have to come to a stop, even though I still have more than 50% battery power. Very embarrassing having to get off a pedelec and walk.
Has anyone else faced this problem? I am still waiting for a reply from Fazua to my enquiry. I don't think the battery is overheating at all and can't think of another possible cause. I've tried all the Fazua software settings. Any Ideas? Thanks.

gzoom

Über Member
^Have you checked the magnet position? When you loss power do you see a yellow error display on the remote?

It wouldn't be overheating, the way I use mine the motor is running at 200watts+ constantly till the battery pretty much drains. If you don't see a remote error, it'll be the gearbox/BB, which cannot be fixed and will need a replacement unit from Fazua. I had to have a new gearbox/BB fitted when I first got the bike as it was simply not measuring torque properly so the motor just stayed off 50% of the time.

richtea

Very embarrassing having to get off a pedelec and walk.

Never be embarrassed. Embarrassing is slumping on the sofa instead of getting out there. Walking with any bike is a fact of life for some of us.

Our Fazua has never weakened on steep climbs, but you could always try feeling the cooling ribs on the underside to see if it's getting warm, and maybe pop one of those temperature stickers on to gauge it.

Oh, and it's worth cleaning the ribs if they're jammed up with mud, otherwise they're not going to be able to do their job.

Top Bottom