Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swidy

On our Boardman (a year older than yours) the battery lock has no positive action, you just turn it fully clockwise with no resistance or click, etc. There's no indicator on frame as to which way is locked/unlocked, but unlocked = fully clockwise.
The key is vertical when locked or unlocked. Anything else is 'in between' on ours.

Take the key with you. If you set off without switching the battery on, you'll need the key to unlock and press the (now hidden) start button.
[Note: I think the latest Fazuas may turn on from the buttons now, so it may depend on which one you have.]

Swidy

Hi Richtea
Cheers for the reply, its been back into halfords and they have repaired the lock. It is now working as you describe but seems very loose to me, but Ill see how it goes, im enjoying the bike, got my first puncture today on it, I have been riding a boardman road team on 25mm tyres and not had a puncture in 5 years 🤪.

inveral

Regular
I really like the look of this bike. I would be tempted if it was more reasonably priced.
£2.5K is too much.
Picked it up on Saturday, but so far have only ridden it home from the shop. I had hoped to be commuting to/from work on it from today, but I'm having trouble getting my insurers to acknowledge my request to add it to my policy and I don't want a to leave a £2.5K bike around at work whilst it's uninsured!

The 10 minute ride back from the shop felt great though - very nippy, even without assist on.

I spent the afternoon with it up on the workstand, swapping the toe-clip pedals for my usual SDP-SLs, fitting lights and a Garmin mount, adding a set of 3rd-party Garmin-compatible speed and cadence sensors, attaching a saddlebag and fitting mudguards.

I couldn't ride it on Sunday as I was out with my parents and my daughter.

I've got a day off on Friday so I'll be taking it out for a decent ride then (unless the insurance is sorted before then and I can start commuting straight away).

More thoughts on the bike as and when I've put a few miles in on it.....
can you tell me the make and model of the mudguards you have fitted. I had asked the local store to fit mudguards but they said they didn’t have any that would fit. I contacted Boardman and they sent me a PDF version of the owner’s manual.

Swidy

Our HYB8.9e (not the ADV but same wheel size I believe) has SKS Blumels mudguards:
Blumels 10433
They're good quality.
Other suppliers are available. :blink:
I have just fitted the sks longboard to my 8.9 adv, they look good but front one seems too long, they were a pain to fit, the front spokes are only just long enough, took me ages.

Swidy

Mine with sks longboard mudgaurds

Attachments

• 20210526_162032.jpg
    20210526_162032.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 20210526_162032.jpg
    20210526_162032.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 20210526_162032.jpg
    20210526_162032.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 234
OP
OP
TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Keep the bike clean😁

Swidy

I used then 2 days around Whitby last weekend, I took the flared rubber bit off on the bottom front and back as this waved about when at speed and today I've taken the front on off completely due to it rattling at speed.
When your 'clipped in' and you turn the steering full lock, do your toes catch the mudguards ?
haven't noticed so I guess not,

Scaleyback

Veteran
I used then 2 days around Whitby last weekend, I took the flared rubber bit off on the bottom front and back as this waved about when at speed and today I've taken the front on off completely due to it rattling at speed.

haven't noticed so I guess not,

Is it the clearance between the 'fat' tyres and the mudguards that is insufficient ? There will always be some 'movement' on plastic guards when going over bumpy surfaces. I had some SKS long guards and 40mm tyres and the zz, zz of the tyres vibrating against the guards drove me 'nuts'
I changed to 35mm tyres and that little extra clearance stopped the irritating noise.

Swidy

Is it the clearance between the 'fat' tyres and the mudguards that is insufficient ? There will always be some 'movement' on plastic guards when going over bumpy surfaces. I had some SKS long guards and 40mm tyres and the zz, zz of the tyres vibrating against the guards drove me 'nuts'
I changed to 35mm tyres and that little extra clearance stopped the irritating noise.
the mudguards are for up to 45 mm tyre so should be, I think the rattling noise was coming from where the steel supports are riveted to the plastic, there is some movement between the steel and the plastic, now I'm home I'm going to see if I can seal/secure the connection which may help

gzoom

Über Member
Finally got my Boardman back after some repairs, it performed beautifully.

Today with the sun out, me needing to hop between different size in the city, I thought I just sit back on max boost to save getting sweaty and hot. Also got a new HR monitor recently so couldn't resist having a geek session with getting data.

Strava thought I was putting out 180watts for the mid day trip from A to B, even managed a PB on a big climb. Got to love electrical assistance :laugh:

51234304314_4fb22919ff_c_d.jpg

51234304229_fcd70bd7e7_c_d.jpg

51233525816_9ee343fdd1_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom