Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mocaccino

Tried Canyon the guy said they don't stock the batteries and can only help if I had a Canyon bike under warranty.

bike24.com cancelled the order saying they don't deliver to the UK anymore.

Finally found a dealer https://fudgescyclestore.com/ from the Fazua website who can order directly but the cost is about £800 for a drivepack compared to £528 on the Fazua website. It might be cheaper to fly over to the factory and collect it myself. Brexit, the gift that keeps giving :laugh:

robgul

Legendary Member
Try www.electricgarage.co.uk - that's where I bought mine a couple months ago for £450 delivered

Mocaccino

... just looked - showing as in stock at £460 for Evation 50 battery

Thanks, just called them, they don't do drivepacks but do have batteries/chargers which is useful for the future.

I'm working with a client who has an office in Germany, I might be able to order online from Fazua to deliver there and then do another courier to bring to the UK :becool:

Mocaccino

As it's getting wetter I thought I would have another go at the mudguard challenge. I have tried various ones in the past but had problems since I went with 45mm tyres. I just got the SKS Speedrocker Gravel Road Mudguard Set - 700c - Black / 32-42mm and they fit nicely although I did have to chop off some of the rear to get enough clearance. Also used cable ties to make more secure as they were a bit wobbly. Just back from a ride and no issues to report.

20231110_144123.jpg

20231110_144139.jpg

20231110_144110.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
As it's getting wetter I thought I would have another go at the mudguard challenge. I have tried various ones in the past but had problems since I went with 45mm tyres. I just got the SKS Speedrocker Gravel Road Mudguard Set - 700c - Black / 32-42mm and they fit nicely although I did have to chop off some of the rear to get enough clearance. Also used cable ties to make more secure as they were a bit wobbly. Just back from a ride and no issues to report.

View attachment 712954

View attachment 712955

View attachment 712953

That looks like it must be a very small frame?

AND - if you have used cable ties on the front forks (instead of or as well as the rubber straps) - make sure they are thin ones that are likely to break should you get a branch/whatever jammed up under the mudguard . . it's not unknown for the mudguard to jam against the tyre and throw you over the handlebars if the stays don't break away from the forks.

robgul

Legendary Member
Thanks @robgul you are a font of knowledge! I just called him, he doesn't have any in stock at the moment but can order for £629 which is better than £800 :thanks:

There is a Fazua Facebook group that has some useful stuff from time-to-time - that's where I saw the stuff about Tom's Bike Shed (The group covers various brands that use the Fazua unit, not just Boardman)

Mocaccino

That looks like it must be a very small frame?

AND - if you have used cable ties on the front forks (instead of or as well as the rubber straps) - make sure they are thin ones that are likely to break should you get a branch/whatever jammed up under the mudguard . . it's not unknown for the mudguard to jam against the tyre and throw you over the handlebars if the stays don't break away from the forks.

Yeah it's a small, I've got little legs.

I've been over the handlebars a couple of times in the past because I was an idiot and thought I could drink and ride so I don't do that anymore.

Mocaccino

There is a Fazua Facebook group that has some useful stuff from time-to-time - that's where I saw the stuff about Tom's Bike Shed (The group covers various brands that use the Fazua unit, not just Boardman)

I was on Facebook when it first came out and then dumped it along with all other social media as it was just too much noise but I did take a peek at the riders group with an anon account, thanks.

ianmac62

Guru
FWIW Cairn Bikes sell gravel e-bikes powered by Fazua. Advert in current CTC magazine (which my wife, in a fit of tidying, has thrown out). Don't know if they have drive packs for sale.

robgul

Legendary Member
Having moved to waxing rather than oiling the chains on my bikes I removed the chain from the Boardman (no magic link so removed a pin and 2 plates) - cleaned and waxed the chain etc.

When I tried to fit it back I took a new KMC 11 speed magic link to connect the chain - the pins were too short to engage the two slotted plates - odd? - I then took the links from a brand new KMC 11E chain to see if they would fit - same issue. Even stranger.

After a bit of experimentation with new 8/9/10 speed magic links the 10 speed fitted perfectly - so that's what I have fitted.

Not sure why as the spec for the Boardman Adv8.9e says "KMC 11E" . . . measuring with a vernier and the original chain is very slightly wider than the brand new KMC 11E chain.

Odd!

Mocaccino

Having moved to waxing rather than oiling the chains on my bikes I removed the chain from the Boardman (no magic link so removed a pin and 2 plates) - cleaned and waxed the chain etc.

When I tried to fit it back I took a new KMC 11 speed magic link to connect the chain - the pins were too short to engage the two slotted plates - odd? - I then took the links from a brand new KMC 11E chain to see if they would fit - same issue. Even stranger.

After a bit of experimentation with new 8/9/10 speed magic links the 10 speed fitted perfectly - so that's what I have fitted.

Not sure why as the spec for the Boardman Adv8.9e says "KMC 11E" . . . measuring with a vernier and the original chain is very slightly wider than the brand new KMC 11E chain.

Odd!

That is odd, I've been using KMC e11 and 11 speed MissingLink without any issues.

Top Bottom