Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mocaccino

Ah - but did you try and fit a magic link to the ORIGINAL bike as from the factory? - that's what was odd . . . my best guess is that original chain is not the same chain as the KMC e11 (the factory would be using chain "off the roll" rather than the boxed retail products)

It was a new chain and link, the original chain was knackered.

robgul

Legendary Member
It was a new chain and link, the original chain was knackered.

I had no problem with the brand new e11 chain and link (which is back in its box for when I need to replace the original chain.

It was the re-use of the original chain - with lots of life left - (that like most factory fitted chains didn't have a magic link) that was too wide for an 11speed KMC link.

Mocaccino

I had no problem with the brand new e11 chain and link (which is back in its box for when I need to replace the original chain.

It was the re-use of the original chain - with lots of life left - (that like most factory fitted chains didn't have a magic link) that was too wide for an 11speed KMC link.

How's the wax setup going? How often do you need to re-wax? I never thought about it before but seems worth doing if it's cleaner and makes the chain last longer.

robgul

Legendary Member
How's the wax setup going? How often do you need to re-wax? I never thought about it before but seems worth doing if it's cleaner and makes the chain last longer.

Can't comment on the Boardman as I haven't been out on it yet - but one of my other bikes (Van Nic Ti road) has been ridden with a waxed chain for several hundred miles and the chain has remained very clean and (although I may be imagining it) seems to be smoother running. As long as the chain doesn't get too dirty (wet) then it should last around 3-400 miles before re-waxing (the original pre-first wax clean to remove oil - or original grease on a new chain - needn't be repeated)

Waxing the clean chain only takes about 5 mins to remove/refit the chain - and about 35-40 minutes in the slow cooker, no need to watch it! - and about 20 minutes for the chain/wax to dry and cool down. I hang the chain from its midpoint on a nail above the bench above the slow cooker to catch any drips. The chain ends up as a "stiff rod" with the wax coating and needs manual "relaxing" before re-fitting.

As suggested by a friend I'm going to add some PTFE powder to the wax next time I do a chain. Next time I'm waxing a chain I'll do 2 so I have "one on/one off" to reduce down-time (and probably across the 4 bikes I ride too = 8 chains!)

This quite useful: https://silcavelo.eu/pages/how-to-apply-chain-lube [I have an ultrasonic machine which makes it easier]

ianmac62

Guru
This quite useful: https://silcavelo.eu/pages/how-to-apply-chain-lube [I have an ultrasonic machine which makes it easier]

Sorry I'm late to this party but that's a fascinating link. Raises a number of questions but I have one basic one and I'm sorry about the sexism here: as a happily married man, how do I get my wife to allow me to do all this using a slow-pot?

There might have been a chance this year when she bought a second (larger) slow-pot. As the old one was over 40 years old, I thought I might be in with a chance. Oh no; before I even asked, she told me that two slow-pots would be really useful in the kitchen!

robgul

Legendary Member
Sorry I'm late to this party but that's a fascinating link. Raises a number of questions but I have one basic one and I'm sorry about the sexism here: as a happily married man, how do I get my wife to allow me to do all this using a slow-pot?

There might have been a chance this year when she bought a second (larger) slow-pot. As the old one was over 40 years old, I thought I might be in with a chance. Oh no; before I even asked, she told me that two slow-pots would be really useful in the kitchen!

^_^ - simple dear boy, buy your own slow-cooker . . . mine was <£10 at Argos ! It lives in my workshop, on the bench ready for action - clearly labelled for the avoidance of doubt.
chainwax2-2aug23.jpg

A further refinement to my chain-waxing process - I've fashioned a "tool" from an old spoke - it's about 8cm long and has a bent-round hook at each end - I hook one end (with a narrow opening in the hook) to the middle of the chain - then when the chain is in the wax I can position the open end of the hook so that it pokes out of the wax . . . making it simple to pick up the hook with pliers at the end of the waxing period - I then have a nail on the tool rack above the bench (higher than half the chain length) to hang the chain straight with it over the pot to catch excess wax before it dries. [I know that needs a picture - but it's pretty obvious]

ianmac62

Guru
^_^ - simple dear boy, buy your own slow-cooker . . . mine was <£10 at Argos ! It lives in my workshop, on the bench ready for action - clearly labelled for the avoidance of doubt.
View attachment 716373

A further refinement to my chain-waxing process - I've fashioned a "tool" from an old spoke - it's about 8cm long and has a bent-round hook at each end - I hook one end (with a narrow opening in the hook) to the middle of the chain - then when the chain is in the wax I can position the open end of the hook so that it pokes out of the wax . . . making it simple to pick up the hook with pliers at the end of the waxing period - I then have a nail on the tool rack above the bench (higher than half the chain length) to hang the chain straight with it over the pot to catch excess wax before it dries. [I know that needs a picture - but it's pretty obvious]

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks very much for the speed of your reply! Much appreciated! :smile:

robgul

Legendary Member
A picture is worth a thousand words:

The hook (the almost closed end is where the mid-point of the chain is fitted before immersing in the wax:
chain-hook.jpg

The chain having been removed from the wax pot - hanging over the pot to drain excess wax - you just about see the hook on the nail in front of the blue paper towel roll [This picture is "staged" with a brand new chain that I'm about to fit to a customer's bike, and the wax in the pot is cold]
hanging-chain.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Some of you guys have far too much time free!! The only ‘cleaning’ the bike chain on the Boardman gets is rain……this is how it looked after another well lubricated (wet) commute into work :smile:.

53407662758_8400b52f55_4k_d.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
Ah, creating an excellent grinding paste there - that's what Shimano banks on to sell high-priced replacement parts^_^

robgul

Legendary Member
Not a good start to the year - while cleaning the bike this morning I found that the rear wheel rim had a split at one of the spoke nipples - bike has done 3,300km, all on road. Bike was purchased in Feb 2022 so not a lot of chance with warranty, although I have asked Tredz . . you never know!
Has anyone bought a replacement rear wheel? - and if so what?

boardman-wheel-1jan24.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
The OEM rear wheel on mine lasted 8 months of commuting. Bought a cheapo replacement from the site below. Coming up to 2 years on, still solid, that includes me taking some tumbles to the tarmac.

https://madspeed7.co.uk/

robgul

Legendary Member
The OEM rear wheel on mine lasted 8 months of commuting. Bought a cheapo replacement from the site below. Coming up to 2 years on, still solid, that includes me taking some tumbles to the tarmac.

https://madspeed7.co.uk/

Thanks - I'll take a look - I'm considering swapping the front too while I'm at it . . . the OEM wheels with the "offset spokes" don't seem to adhere to logical engineering principles to me with the potential uneven "sideways pull" on the spokes.

Top Bottom