Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

6 months would be within warranty. Take it back and complain.

Ours, a HYB 8.9E rather than the ADV model, but the same battery system - is fine after 3 years, but maybe we haven't cycled in such wet weather as yourself.)

Mocaccino

Not a good start to the year - while cleaning the bike this morning I found that the rear wheel rim had a split at one of the spoke nipples - bike has done 3,300km, all on road. Bike was purchased in Feb 2022 so not a lot of chance with warranty, although I have asked Tredz . . you never know!
Has anyone bought a replacement rear wheel? - and if so what?

View attachment 717563

I got talked into buying some custom cargo wheels by the silky sales guy at my LBS but they were too heavy and could never get the 38mm tyre to centre properly, never again. Now I have a set of DT Swiss G 1800 Spline wheels with Pirelli Cinturato Gravel 45mm tyres and it rides like a dream. The aero spokes are a bit fiddly to get the speed sensor magnet aligned as it won't sit perpendicular but works.

robgul

Legendary Member
After some back and forth email "discussion" I've been (at their request) this morning to the nearest Halfords store for them to "inspect the wheel" and decide on action. Hopefully they will provide a replacement wheel, although they did say it wouldn't be the same as the original . . . not sure what that means in terms of appearance.

I shall report back.

Mocaccino

Fazua Drivepack Update: I left the faulty drivepack with https://www.thecyclemot.co.uk/ to see if they could fix it but they weren't even getting a response from Fazua support. I then ordered a replacement on ebay / 4mybike.de (I paid approx. 300 Euros which has now dropped to 245 Euros) which arrived within a week (had to cough up an extra £78 for import duties to UPS, thanks Boris!) but the max speed was set to 0 so took it to https://fudgescyclestore.com/ who copied the configuration over from old to new and now it's working like a dream once more :wahhey:

ianmac62

Guru
Fazua Drivepack Update: I left the faulty drivepack with https://www.thecyclemot.co.uk/ to see if they could fix it but they weren't even getting a response from Fazua support. I then ordered a replacement on ebay / 4mybike.de (I paid approx. 300 Euros which has now dropped to 245 Euros) which arrived within a week (had to cough up an extra £78 for import duties to UPS, thanks Boris!) but the max speed was set to 0 so took it to https://fudgescyclestore.com/ who copied the configuration over from old to new and now it's working like a dream once more :wahhey:

Gosh! No reply from the Fazua service people? That not good! 🤔

robgul

Legendary Member
After some back and forth email "discussion" I've been (at their request) this morning to the nearest Halfords store for them to "inspect the wheel" and decide on action. Hopefully they will provide a replacement wheel, although they did say it wouldn't be the same as the original . . . not sure what that means in terms of appearance.

I shall report back.

Despite the kid in the shop saying that the wheel showed very little sign of use Halfords HO rejected any claim and denied liability.

I have now replaced both wheels with a much better quality hand-built pair from Spa Cycles - 36 spoke "touring wheels" - it's only money! BUT very disappointed with the early failure of the OEM rear wheel.

Mocaccino

Gosh! No reply from the Fazua service people? That not good! 🤔

I did think that was a bit worrying so I logged a ticket with them myself asking them if they could send me a bin file to update the max speed and just got a response this morning (approx 48 hours), they said I would need to connect the bike to the computer and install Teamviewer so they can do it over a remote session. I also asked them if the shaft offset makes any difference as the old one was set to 995 and the new one is 2597 but they said it doesn't make any difference as long as it's not set to 0. I suspect the Fazua support issue might have been with the bike shop itself.

ianmac62

Guru
I did think that was a bit worrying so I logged a ticket with them myself asking them if they could send me a bin file to update the max speed and just got a response this morning (approx 48 hours), they said I would need to connect the bike to the computer and install Teamviewer so they can do it over a remote session. I also asked them if the shaft offset makes any difference as the old one was set to 995 and the new one is 2597 but they said it doesn't make any difference as long as it's not set to 0. I suspect the Fazua support issue might have been with the bike shop itself.

I’m probably the least technically minded person in this thread. Coped with “remote session” but “shaft offset” doesn’t mean anything to me. 😊
(Not a request for an explanation BTW 😊)

gzoom

Über Member
My Boardman is now 4 years old. Use for commuting all year round. It's been the most used bike I own by a country mile. It's not the most exciting bike to ride, but for something that's usable in the weather we've had in the last week.......Hard to fault.

robgul

Legendary Member
My Boardman is now 4 years old. Use for commuting all year round. It's been the most used bike I own by a country mile. It's not the most exciting bike to ride, but for something that's usable in the weather we've had in the last week.......Hard to fault.

Mine's 2 years old today and apart from the wheel issue mentioned up-thread I've been pretty pleased with it. I'm getting on a bit (!) and it's helped me to continue with club rides etc . . . although I still ride my non-e bikes when I go out on my own.

Mocaccino

I’m probably the least technically minded person in this thread. Coped with “remote session” but “shaft offset” doesn’t mean anything to me. 😊
(Not a request for an explanation BTW 😊)

I don't know what it means either 🤔 I just noticed it in the configuration page in the Fazua Toolbox app, it reminded me of that Robert Kilroy-Silk show where he goes "to share or to shaft" 😁

Mocaccino

How long is your chain lasting on average? I've had my bike nearly 4 years (16,000km) and I replaced it at 2 years and it's just gone past the 0.5% wear indicator so time for another one. Do you also replace the cassette/chainring at the same time or see if it behaves with the new chain?

Top Bottom