Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Have a look at this as well, I didn't realise the S3 was actually the same price as the 8.9, I probably would have ordered one instead of the 8.9 had I done my eBike research in more detail.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-NL

Though the online reviews about lack of support is worrying. My Boardman went back to Halfords 3 times for them to sort out a creaking crank- needed rebuild to fully sort out. And knowing I have 2 year warranty + longer on the frame is very reassuring.

Despite my bike needing to go back to them for work the customer service has been fab, even during this COVID lock down, the fact there are 3 stores in town I can go to is also really convenient.

I've been so happy with their customer service I've now bought a 3 year service plan on the bike, given it's now used daily knowing I can just drop the bike off at any shop for maintenance is a great, and saves me any worries about on going upkeep.

Last edited:

Winslade

Regular
Hi. Just new to this forum and I have a quick question about the new fazua lock mechanism. I've just ordered a new Boardman Adv 8.9e from Halfords but due to the current setup in Halfords I wasn't able to get to speak to anyone there that was able to answer the question would the Boardman adv 8.9e come with this new locking mechanism. As I understand the new locking mechanism is better than the previous mechanism for ensuring the motor enclosure is secured.

Would any of you kind readers on this forum know if I could expect Halfords to be selling their Boardman's Adv 8.9e with this new mechanism?

Thanks a million

If I was in your shoes I would definitely ensure you got a bike with the new locking mechanism. My bike has already been back to Halfords as the plastic inside the lock had broken off. They fixed it, but another issue is that the release button can be very stiff (particularly if not used for some time) and I seem to be wearing my thumb out at the moment trying to get it to operate. I have now resorted to using chain lube to try and ensure it works a little easier. One last problem; most people will tell you that they listen for a loud 'click' to ensure that the drive unit has fully located into the lock. Unfortunately that does not always work and you may well hear the click but ocassionally the unit will still drop out ( for me at least).

If the mechanism is so good, you would have to question as to why Fazua have gone to the trouble of re-engineering it and providing a retrofit. One more thing, if you do try and fit the new mechanism yourself it apparently the warranty is null and void.

richtea

>
...it was a significant purchase hence he said order it online anyhow and don't collect/pay for it unless I am 100% happy with the mechanism when it's ready. Can't say fairly than that.

Ah, be careful.
It comes in a box delivered by a bloke in a lorry who has less connection to Boardman than the Halfords guy, and has no interest in it. Love the irony of the text in the pic - it wasn't damaged, phew:

Mr Delivery Man isn't going to wait 10 minutes whilst you crack open the box, strip the foam off the frame, and check if the locking mechanism is new:

Last edited:

Bovis

Thanks for the photos of the packaging/box. I won't be rushed into taking the bike if not 100% happy as I genuinely tried to get my questions answered in the store but they weren't able to answer and said just order online and check it out when it arrives.

By the way, does any else who owns a Adv 8.9e have a similar noise to this poster?

View: https://youtu.be/iKxTJTDmEMM

gzoom

Über Member
@Bovis You might be in danger of looking up every fault possible on a product and getting panicked over nothing even before the product arrives!!!

The problem with the internet is if you ask the question you will ALWAYS find an answer you didn't like or worry about.

All I can say about Fazua system in Boardman is that it's the SAME system found in bikes by Look, Pinarello, Trek, Focus etc. These are not 'cheap' brands targeting the bargain basement customer, and will realise the consequences a poor performing system will do to their brand image.

The issues I have with my Boardman surrounds the bike it self (cheap frame, cheap wheels, not put together properly leading to a need for rebuild), rather than the Fazua system, which am very pleased with and would happily buy again but on a much more expensive bike.

gzoom

Über Member
Thanks for the photos of the packaging/box. I won't be rushed into taking the bike if not 100% happy as I genuinely tried to get my questions answered in the store but they weren't able to answer and said just order online and check it out when it arrives.

By the way, does any else who owns a Adv 8.9e have a similar noise to this poster?

View: https://youtu.be/iKxTJTDmEMM

I cannot quite work out what noises are been described, but the motor does 'clunky' when engaging on occasions, though am sure thats because Halfords haven't 'tuned' the torque delivery well, the latest 2.0 software let's you do that your self though.

It shouldn't make a noise when you free wheel, but if you back pedal it'll make a noise as itll disengage from the BB. The noise isn't too dissimilar from the noise a good wheel set makes when free wheeling.

Why didn't you just order it from Halfords for them to build and you collect from the store? My local Halfords is open to customers and I've been to them numerous times during lock down to sort out the build issues on my 8.9e?

If you collect from the store you can check out the bike on handover, raise any worries or reject it there and than!

richtea

The ratchet noise normally only occurs when you pedal backwards. It's from the bottom bracket and the ratchet is needed to disconnect the motor from the rest of the bike.
On the video he isn't pedalling backwards, but he's stopping pedalling quite quickly and his feet do go slightly back on each stop.

Nothing to worry about, but some people find the ratchet noise annoying.
It's quite noisy compared to say a rear wheel ratchet, but not many people pedal backwards.

Ralphbostie

Best would be to apply Loctite thread locker to stop vibration loosening
Cheers for the advice Andy, something I will look into. Another guy I met on the trails said he’d had the same problem, also his catch to release the battery wouldn’t work, he took it back and they fitted a different catch for him.

Ralphbostie

Thanks all. I have emailed Boardman and I will let you know as soon as I hear. Thanks for the tip on how to spot if the bike has the new locking mechanism. The post covid19 shopping experience in Halfords isn't very conducive to asking presales questions. While queuing outside the politely efficient Halfords guy told me that noone would be able to answer such a question in store but recognised that it was a significant purchase hence he said order it online anyhow and don't collect/pay for it unless I am 100% happy with the mechanism when it's ready. Can't say fairly than that.
Hi Bovis, collected my Boardman Electric Hybrid bike nearly two weeks back, the handover was non existent, I went to the front door entry, gave the woman my order number, was told to go around the back to collect the bike, a woman came out and gave me the bike and charger and went straight back inside. It hadn’t got the new locking system on it though. A guy I met on the trails took his back because he was having problems and they fitted a lever underneath and he said it works great now? Must say, it’s a great bike though, feels really sturdy and light considering it has a battery. Just looking into buying a pannier set if anyone has any ideas best suited for the Boardman Hybrid 8.9E?

Ralphbostie

If I was in your shoes I would definitely ensure you got a bike with the new locking mechanism. My bike has already been back to Halfords as the plastic inside the lock had broken off. They fixed it, but another issue is that the release button can be very stiff (particularly if not used for some time) and I seem to be wearing my thumb out at the moment trying to get it to operate. I have now resorted to using chain lube to try and ensure it works a little easier. One last problem; most people will tell you that they listen for a loud 'click' to ensure that the drive unit has fully located into the lock. Unfortunately that does not always work and you may well hear the click but ocassionally the unit will still drop out ( for me at least).

If the mechanism is so good, you would have to question as to why Fazua have gone to the trouble of re-engineering it and providing a retrofit. One more thing, if you do try and fit the new mechanism yourself it apparently the warranty is null and void.

Hi Winslade, I guy I spoke to had the same problem and they fitted a lever underneath and blanked the button off for him and he says it works fine now?

richtea

That's good - the 'lever' is the new lock mechansim. So:
1) buy from Halfords
2) complain about the lock
3) they'll retro-fit the newer, better version.

Job done. ^_^

gzoom

Über Member
For anyone playing with the Fazua 2.0 software I've finally found a set of configs that work for me. Essentially if you push the 'ramp up speed' to 'max' (so low time), the motor 'over boosts' and motor ends up not spinning freely because it wants to run at a higher RPM than your legs.

I've found on some very very light off roading I did today (up a grassy hill), these setting offer a good balance, and you can feel the 'rocket' mode offering useful support.

I recon though there is a 400Watt setting which activates in 'Rocket' mode Fazua hasn't made obvous as it feels stronger than 'Breeze' even though both have the same power setting on the config page.

49930568368_f7da4fe603_c_d.jpg

Ralphbostie

@Bovis You might be in danger of looking up every fault possible on a product and getting panicked over nothing even before the product arrives!!!

The problem with the internet is if you ask the question you will ALWAYS find an answer you didn't like or worry about.

All I can say about Fazua system in Boardman is that it's the SAME system found in bikes by Look, Pinarello, Trek, Focus etc. These are not 'cheap' brands targeting the bargain basement customer, and will realise the consequences a poor performing system will do to their brand image.

The issues I have with my Boardman surrounds the bike it self (cheap frame, cheap wheels, not put together properly leading to a need for rebuild), rather than the Fazua system, which am very pleased with and would happily buy again but on a much more expensive bike.
Hi gzoom, I had the Halfords bike build, when I collected the bike and rode it home, there wasn’t any noise coming from the Crank area, I went out for several rides and the noise started to appear only when peddling and got louder, I was going to take it back but when I checked online I got the answer to the problem on here, the four torq bolts that was illustrated on here were loose, one was very loose, I tightened the four bolts up and the noise went and everything appears fine. I checked online first because Halfords would have taken ages to book me in again due to the COVID 19 problems, I emailed Fazua to warn them that several people were having this problem and they got back to me and told me to check the bolts after a few more rides just in case and they wouldn’t have caused any permanent damage. I agree the Fazua is a great system and I do like the bike, not very happy with the Halfords bike build though, even though it’s free.

Last edited:

Winslade

Regular
Hi Winslade, I guy I spoke to had the same problem and they fitted a lever underneath and blanked the button off for him and he says it works fine now?
Yes as mentioned, the 'fix' is the new re-engineered lock (Locker px). Anyway, I went out for a short ride this morning and when I got back.......... I couldn't get the release button to work, so I have booked the bike back into Halfords for an inspection on the 2nd June. I am hoping they will replace the whole lock with the new Locker px, particularly as this is the third time I have had to take the bike back. The first occasion was loose bolts on the BB which quite a few people seem to have had a problem with.

Ralphbostie

Yes as mentioned, the 'fix' is the new re-engineered lock (Locker px). Anyway, I went out for a short ride this morning and when I got back.......... I couldn't get the release button to work, so I have booked the bike back into Halfords for an inspection on the 2nd June. I am hoping they will replace the whole lock with the new Locker px, particularly as this is the third time I have had to take the bike back. The first occasion was loose bolts on the BB which quite a few people seem to have had a problem with.
Hi Winslade, hope everything gets sorted, poor design that button.

Top Bottom