Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Starting the mods, got some cheapo Chinese carbon seat+tube.....must have saved oh 100grams or half the weight of a number 2 :smile:.

49938119738_87c5168669_z.jpg

Been lower the stem height to try and get a more aero position, if its not too bad on the back I'll need to trim the steerer tube, as we all know a bike is only as good as it look.

49938136198_61fb8ebc6f_z.jpg

ferdinand2000

Can I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for an interesting read, which I have enjoyed. And it is good to see more flexible e-bikes coming in with attainable prices.

I have been running a Boardman Hybrid Team with a Gruber Assist for a little under 5 years (I got the ex-demo Gruber so it was merely very very expensive rather than horribly excruciating), and there are some interesting contrasts. At the time the Hybrid seemed to have the same frame as the Cyclocross version with differences being drop bars and maybe a couple of bits of kit - but not very much.

I have the Gruber as I occasionally run with bikepacking or shopping loads, or I want to get somewhere non-sweaty whilst out on the posh.

This is a good chance for a review, and a compare and contrast:

- 8.9 ADVe has much more control over the electrics / assist, but is less stealthy with that console. I have on/off and perhaps more sensitive control via the pedals.
- 8.9 ADVe has more power.
- 8.9 ADVe has that 25 kph speed limit on the assist.
- 8.9 ADVe is rather heavier. By the time it has lights and tech, pump and puncture kit and bits, it could add another kg or two. Mine is just under 15kg all in, including a small front rack. Not sure how much of the weight difference is down to battery - the one I have is 270 Wh.
- 8.9 ADV-e those tyres look interesting - I will take a look. I run Marathon Supremes, which are great but slippery on mud/offroad.

Would I get one?

Very possibly. Concerns would be:

- That speed limiter - one of my things is to get the extra 3-4mph from the electric on a smooth path; I would want a way to disable the limit.
- Range of gears. I make the ADCe 27-102 Gear Inches (ish). That 27 would not be low enough at the low end for me - want 20, and I cannot see an easy way to change it.
- Visibility / security when locked. Can the console be removed and taken away?

Looks like a really great bike overall.

Ferdinand

Manno

Just bought the Boardman electric bike and noticed underneath there’s an open section with 2 cables should there be 3 cables and also should this have some sort of cover on it

Attachments

• 573DCCB0-97EA-4DEA-BAF9-03D0366F9B2B.jpeg
    573DCCB0-97EA-4DEA-BAF9-03D0366F9B2B.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 71

gzoom

Über Member
^Mine is the same, it's how they come. The cover for the wires I believe is an optional extra which Boardman clearly didn't pay for.

richtea

Yup, ours has no cover either. I'm happy to pay for one, if there are any 3D printer gurus out there prepared to create one.

Mokum

Regular
Is there anyone noticing any ratchet sound pedaling forward from the bottom bracket?
Not as loud when pedaling backward, but with the chain off I sense a clicking sound which I thought wasn’t there in the beginning.Haven’t noticed it before so could be there to begin with. I did only 200km on it. Like to know if this is normal?

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I thought I check up on the battery compartment after a week or so of commuting in light rain.

There does appear some water ingression into the battery/motor casing, its not too bad, not much more than a smudge but I can see how if you are riding in torrential rain/mud all the time it will cause issues.

49998025996_aeeea527c4_c.jpg

You can see the fluid build up at the bottom, there is suppose to be a drainage hole but I couldn't see one?

49998277852_a5ff54a4f9_c.jpg

I'll be keeping an eye on this, if the issue becomes a problem I'll be pushing for a refund on the bike, at nearly £2K its not a cheap Halfords special which you might expect issues on.

gzoom

Über Member
Is there anyone noticing any ratchet sound pedaling forward from the bottom bracket?
Not as loud when pedaling backward, but with the chain off I sense a clicking sound which I thought wasn’t there in the beginning.Haven’t noticed it before so could be there to begin with. I did only 200km on it. Like to know if this is normal?

There should be no noise at all when pedalling normally, if possible record the sound and take it back to Halfords for them to sort it out.

Mokum

Regular
There should be no noise at all when pedalling normally, if possible record the sound and take it back to Halfords for them to sort it out.
Thought so. It’s a Canyon but with the same drive system, so thought you guys have the experience here. Since most seem to ride the Boardman with the Fazua evation drive system. Trying to post the video. But that’s not working.
So give Canyon a call on Monday I guess 😡

richtea

> You can see the fluid build up at the bottom, there is suppose to be a drainage hole but I couldn't see one?

It's just above the USB cover - well hidden in the fins.
I have to say I can't see any light coming through once the battery is removed though, so whether it drains OK I don't know.

One of us needs to tip water in there - without the battery in place.
OK, I'll do it: :-)

I'd say it works very well indeed. And maybe yours has already drained.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
^Great find, mine had some mild road debris over it, so probably just need to keep it clear. Not the best place for a drainage hole though, I imagine if you did proper off roading with the bike that area will be covered in mud pretty quickly!

Ralphbostie

Has anyone had a red light on the remote? Went out yesterday and a red light came on, checked the website and it said to clean the connector’s, done this but the red light has stayed on?

Mocaccino

Never thought about pulling the battery into the frame whilst pushing the lock - I'll give that a try.

Couldn't ride it to work today as it started clunking noisily on each pedal rotation yesterday on the way in and got much worse on the way home. Took a look when I got into the flat and as I suspected, the bottom bracket unit was loose. I went to get my allen keys to tighten the loose bolts and then found they were Torx bolts. Tightened one a little with an allen key to see how loose it was, but didn't use any pressure for fear of stripping the Torx head. It was actually VERY loose.

Torx set on order from Amazon and should be arriving at the private Amazon locker at work today.
I have had my 8.9E for 2 months and it has been running like a dream and brought back the childhood joy of cycling. I'm getting a lot of stares from other cyclists which at first I thought was because I'm easy on the eye but have now come to realise they are checking out the bike :eek:

There was an embarrassing moment when riding home from Halfords where I couldn't figure out how to shift down as I have never come across double tap levers but a quick web search came to the rescue :blush:

I haven't dropped the battery yet (famous last words), I always use both hands when releasing with both thumbs pushing on the release button and the fingers cradling the battery like a newborn baby.

I just started getting the creaking/clunking on pedal rotation and have hand tightened the Torx bolts and no more annoying noise. There is some thread locker on order to help it stay in place. You have saved me a load of time and effort with multiple trips back to Halfords.

THANKS GOO_MASON YOU ARE A LEGEND :notworthy::thumbsup:

Winslade

Regular
That's good - the 'lever' is the new lock mechansim. So:
1) buy from Halfords
2) complain about the lock
3) they'll retro-fit the newer, better version.

Job done. ^_^

Well..... not quite. Over the past year I have taken the bike back to Halfords four times because the lock mechanism locked up (no pun intended).
So after getting an email from Fazua advertising their new lock 'Locker px' and reading on here that someone had managed to get their old mechanism replaced I took the advice and asked for a retro fit with the new locking mechanism. That was over six weeks ago ! The Halfords technician apologised profusely but said he had ordered the part on 3 separate occasions but had not received it and had not had an email as to why it had not been delivered. When I now go onto the Fazua website I can not find the locker px advertised ( unless I am in the early stages of senile dementia, which is quite possible). After 6 weeks without the bike the manager of Halfords offered me a refund - which I immediately accepted.

I love the Fazua motor I think it's a great piece of engineering and I like the ability to tune the power delivery and remove the battery for charging. But I have simply had enough of the hassle with the lock and have now started to look for a replacement ( Ribble at the moment is a possibility although you can't remove the battery). Great pity because I really loved that bike.

Top Bottom