Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've also heard that you can add the bike as a power or speed/cadence meter, but haven't figured it out yet.

Go to settings.
Select "Sensors".
Select "Add sensor".
Select "e-bike".
Garmin 530 will instruct you to switch on the bike, and it should detect it.
Select your bike and tick the box using select button on the Garmin.
Then, don't make the same mistake I made and expect it to sync itself! You have to scroll back up to "add sensor" after ticking the box, and press select.
That should be it done.
I haven't as yet used the function, so no idea what it actually does.
My bike is a Merida e-Scultura, but presumably the process will be the same., the Garmin being an Edge 530.

johnno60

Regular
Measure the gap from the side of the tyre to frame. Check the size of the current tyre. That should guide you how much more width can be accommodated.

Another method which is more expensive is to drop wheel size. My bike will take upto 42mm with 700C wheels, but this increases to 50mm if I fit 650b size wheels

Cheers Andy will give that a go.

ianmac62

Guru
Just to say that the 250 battery on my ADV8.9e corrected itself and provided power as mysteriously as it failed to provide power two weeks ago. The 250X battery hadn't been a problem. Took the opportunity to update the motor firmware to Ride 50 v2.12. Fingers crossed that everything is OK now. Thanks everyone!

mrburns

Hi All,
The Fazua design is robust and they have continually upgraded over the last 2 odd years so I was wondering now the bikes have been out there for a while has anyone discovered play in the crank of their bottom bracket?

ianmac62

Guru
Hi All,
The Fazua design is robust and they have continually upgraded over the last 2 odd years so I was wondering now the bikes have been out there for a while has anyone discovered play in the crank of their bottom bracket?

No, no issues with mine either. 1.5 years in; and about 3,250 miles.

joey70

Hi.
Just joined, thanks for everyone who has posted so far. Just received an ADV 8.9E as a commuter from tredz with a cyclescheme voucher.
Tredz were excellent and deliver was super fast. Surprisingly the bike has come with the latest firmware installed.

Attachments

• F2C73074-1182-4507-A995-7557E4D8BFF7.png
    F2C73074-1182-4507-A995-7557E4D8BFF7.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 2

fasteasyfree

Go to settings.
Select "Sensors".
Select "Add sensor".
Select "e-bike".
Garmin 530 will instruct you to switch on the bike, and it should detect it.
Select your bike and tick the box using select button on the Garmin.
Then, don't make the same mistake I made and expect it to sync itself! You have to scroll back up to "add sensor" after ticking the box, and press select.
That should be it done.
I haven't as yet used the function, so no idea what it actually does.
My bike is a Merida e-Scultura, but presumably the process will be the same., the Garmin being an Edge 530.

Apologies, I forgot to reply! That worked great. Seems intermittent, however, as on some rides it works perfectly and others I'll have constant alerts on the head unit stating "power meter found".

I have noticed recently a 'click' when the left crank is at the top of the stroke. Anyone else experience this? It's not the creaking sound from loose bolts, but a distinct click. This is mentioned in step 7 of the troubleshooting doc, but all it says is to contact service partner as it's due to too much pressure on one side of the clutch. Was hoping there'd be a fix I could perform without having to visit halfords...

bobbypuk

Hi All,

Only 400 miles on mine and was getting a dreadful creaking sound when pedalling which I think may have been bottom bracket related. Had it in Halfords for 6 week service and they’ve tightened it up so hopefully that’s sorted.

Possibly related question; my chain (the KMC one that came with it) is apparently 50% worn on 400 miles. This seems like a very low mileage. Anyone else had similar? I’m thinking I might swap the chain for an SRAM one. What replacement chains have you all used?

ianmac62

Guru
Only 400 miles on mine and was getting a dreadful creaking sound when pedalling which I think may have been bottom bracket related. Had it in Halfords for 6 week service and they’ve tightened it up so hopefully that’s sorted.

Possibly related question; my chain (the KMC one that came with it) is apparently 50% worn on 400 miles. This seems like a very low mileage. Anyone else had similar? I’m thinking I might swap the chain for an SRAM one. What replacement chains have you all used?

I had a new chain at 2,150 miles by my LBS while being serviced (rather than at Halfords). If I understand these things properly, an e-bike benefits from having an e-chain; I presume there's extra power applied to it. Back in February this year it took ages to source the chain (and other parts); again I presume the delay was linked to shortages from the Far East and the closure of the Suez Canal.

bobbypuk

I had a new chain at 2,150 miles by my LBS while being serviced (rather than at Halfords). If I understand these things properly, an e-bike benefits from having an e-chain; I presume there's extra power applied to it. Back in February this year it took ages to source the chain (and other parts); again I presume the delay was linked to shortages from the Far East and the closure of the Suez Canal.

Yeah you see that sounds like the right sort of mileage. Wonder if there’s an issue causing my excessive wear. About half those miles are on gravel/muddy trails. Wonder if that makes a big difference?

ianmac62

Guru
Yeah you see that sounds like the right sort of mileage. Wonder if there’s an issue causing my excessive wear. About half those miles are on gravel/muddy trails. Wonder if that makes a big difference?

I'm rarely riding trails; mainly I'm riding with friends on country lanes or touring. Perhaps someone else will come along and compare.

richtea

The bottom bracket has three Torx bolts on either side. They just need tightening up if it happens again. Torx sets are pretty cheap - a fiver - so consider buying a set and carry the right one on the next few trips. I can't remember which size it is, sorry, but it will be in this set:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JJLV6I

kapelmuur

Veteran
I have been reading all 24 pages of this thread because I would like to buy the Boardman, if only it was available!

I have had a Fazua powered Cube C62 road bike for 2.5 years and the system suits me very well. I ride mainly rural routes and the volume of mud on the roads results in me using my non assisted mudguard equipped bike much of the time. At 75 years old I getting to the stage where assistance is preferred at all times. The Cube is a lovely machine and I don’t want to fit it with mudguards.

So it makes sense for an assisted winter bike to be Fazua powered in the expectation that batteries etc will be interchangeable.

The issue with torx bolts isn’t confined to Halfords, I had the same problem even though the Cube came from a LBS. They used Araldite to fix it.

I also find the lever release for the battery very stiff, the force needed is worrying as I think I could snap it off.

I’m a convert to tubeless and would want to run tubeless on the Boardman, are the wheels suitable or should I look at an upgrade?

Top Bottom