Boardman ADV 8.9 Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good suggestion, I will do thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not keen on the mechanical disks though. Also I have a cube peloton that I’ve never really got on with tbh.
No worries. I had the same with a Boardman MTB on CTW scheme and Ebayed it. Realized I was chasing the cash not the right bike. You live and learn.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
FC2349CE-85E9-42C0-8752-D785F7E0AF9B.jpeg
Arrived today, looking forward to the first commute.... look and feels good. May have to wait until Friday though as -5 forecast first thing..... I fell off last time I set off down the hill in similar temperatures :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Boardman do list geometry

Its a Gravel adventure bike with long head tube and slack head angle.

The L and XL sizes have absolutely identical 71 head and 73 seat angles to my 1991 Raleigh lugged & brazed rigid MTB frame, which is comfortable on poor surfaces. The rest of the main dimensions are also very similar to within a few mm. There's nothing much new under the sun in respect of bike frame geometry, just the appearance of the frames changes over the years. The Boardman is considerably lighter than the Raleigh though - by about 25%!

CXRAndy

Guru
Thats why bike design has remained constant over decades. They knew what worked back then and just copy geometry with improved materials and construction techniques

Hello and apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I'm having problems with the FSA 4000 Mega Exo BB on my Boardman ADV 8.9

It started squeaking/groaning around 6 months ago. Apparently grit/debris had got into the BB and it hadn't been greased particularly well...according to Halfords (who supplied the bike via C2W Scheme).
They said they removed it, fully cleaned, re-greased and refitted it.

Moving on to this week the squeaks/creaks/groans are back.

I spoke to FSA Support in Italy today...basically they said that BB shouldn't be in an 'Adventure/gravel bike'.
They went on to suggest an upgrade....Gossamer Energy BB and chainset???

Has any one upgraded or swapped the FSA BB and FSA crank/chainset??
If so what did you go for??? what brand, model, sizes, thread pitch etc????

Asides from the BB issue the ADV 8.9 is a cracking bike!!! Very very pleased with it.

Hello again and thank you in advance for your help.

Take care,

Andy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I thought the Mega XO was press fit but it's threaded. What diameter spindle do you have? If it's 30mm you can replace it with a Shimano Hollowtech BB. I saw a YouTube video of a guy doing just this but he had trouble putting the FSA crank in. You might be well advised to get a new Shimano crankset, it does come with the BB included though.

View: https://youtu.be/KYNLQkIlzJQ

Thanks for the reply.

The spindle is 19mm apparently on this bike.

Ive seen a few youtube vids but I couldnt find any showing a straight swap/upgrade on this particular bike.

Thanks again.

CXRAndy

Guru
Your options are

replace BB with another FSA £30. See how it goes

or

Swap over crankset to something like a Shimano with 24mm crank spindle-new shimano BB

These brackets are threaded, so a doddle to remove and replace with a simple cheap tool.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get rid of the FSA BB and chainset, they are pants. So glad my FS Pro came with a SRAM crankset, as the Hard Tail Pro model was FSA - I would have binned it.

Johnno260

Veteran
Don't let Halfords replace the BB unless you trust them, my local Halfords messed up the change of the BB on my Boardman twice, I took it to the LBS in the end.

Yes I know it's a little judgmental, but if he trusts them fine.

I opted for Shimano BB and crankset.
Arrived lunchtime and fitted.

Dura Ace R9100 BB
105 5750 2 x 10 speed crankset

I had to re position the front mech and adjust it but otherwise very straightforward.

Top Bottom