Boardman AiR 9.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I know there is a 'Boardman' thread already but wanted to ask a specific question on the AiR 9.8

On paper it looks like an absolute killer aero bike for the price, even has Zipp wheels and Red etap gears. I'm looking at getting an aero bike at some stage and wondered if anyone has one of these and if so why do they like / not like. Also, what other bikes should I consider and compare against (the Canonndale SystemSix is one I'm keen to investigate more but seems a bit more expensive).

I have a 2015 Boardman Comp that sits on my turbo all the time now and I'm happy with this but want something lighter and 'faster' for when I go out (when I'm not on my Genesis Fixie that is :whistle: n+1 :laugh: )

TIA

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My 14yo has an AirPro as a winter trainer - the precurser to the AiR 9.8 - and he likes it. The slight downside is an aero frame is usually a bit heavier than a standard one. His, built up using 11 speed Shimano 105, weighs about 8kg versus his Cervelo which is 6.5kg.

For the £4k price tag if you're looking for light I'd look at a Cervelo S3/S5. Depending on your size there's a 2018 S5 with DuraAce at Sigma for the same price; https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/S5-Dura-Ace-9100-Road-Bike-2018/FQBM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
My 14yo has an AirPro as a winter trainer - the precurser to the AiR 9.8 - and he likes it. The slight downside is an aero frame is usually a bit heavier than a standard one. His, built up using 11 speed Shimano 105, weighs about 8kg versus his Cervelo which is 6.5kg.

For the £4k price tag if you're looking for light I'd look at a Cervelo S3/S5. Depending on your size there's a 2018 S5 with DuraAce at Sigma for the same price; https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/S5-Dura-Ace-9100-Road-Bike-2018/FQBM
Thanks, I'll have a look at the Cervelo S5. I'm 5'7" so small frame is normal for me. Re: weight, I believe the 2019 AiR 9.8 is also about 6.5kg (dependent on components) so the same kind of weight as the Cervelo :okay:

Milzy

Guru
Thanks, I'll have a look at the Cervelo S5. I'm 5'7" so small frame is normal for me. Re: weight, I believe the 2019 AiR 9.8 is also about 6.5kg (dependent on components) so the same kind of weight as the Cervelo :okay:
It’s certainly a great bike. I’m 5’7” but have a long body & short legs so fine on M sizes.

Top Bottom