Boardman bikes - quality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digit

Hi all,

Not a question on suppliers or setup etc but the quality of the bikes ...
are they well built? mainly the frame as most of the components seem to be off the shelf.

Looking at getting a Hybrid team .. alloy frame and carbon forks.

Cheers
Digit

Have 2 mountain bikes and several club mates have the road bikes. No one has a bad word to say about them or had a problem with them. I;m not aware who makes the frames but at first glance the alu frames could be mistaken for carbon such is the quality of the welds. IMHO they are a good bike so I say go for it.

PS They seem to have a good review here

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/hybrid/product/review-boardman-hybrid-team-11-44565/

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, as @wam68 says the smoothed frame welds says they've put some time into finishing them. Those birds poo welds always annoy the hell out of me. Plus Halfords being the biggest bike retailer in the UK can't afford to have quality issues.

OP
OP
D

digit

Thanks for the replies,

have yet to get to the local store .... (only 30 miles away to our nearest) to get a proper look at them but,
as long as the frame is ok then they are an option.

Cheers
Digit

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Buying from. Halfords is where it can go wrong but not with components more the build ! Seem really good value in fact mate of work just bought a boardman road bike granted not a Halfords one , with nearly a grand off the rrp. Quality bike over other names brands!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I have the Boardman road Sport (my sig pic) superb bike for the money, great to ride, carbon forks, mavic wheels, tektro brakes, easy on the eye, run of the mill components but it all works exactly as it should, no grumbles from me.

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi all,

are they well built? mainly the frame as most of the components seem to be off the shelf.

Cheers
Digit

I have a Hybrid Comp 2014 in general it's been decent, many suffer from early BB failures mine did but it was changed under warranty.

The standard wheels were ok once the potholes here finished them off I upgraded the wheels and brakes.

Frame no issues with, it seems light and durable.

Merida manufacturer frames for boardman

Really? I am saving for a Merida ride 300 or I have my eyes on one of these going cheap Merida Scultura Alloy 901 2014

Hi all,

Cheers
Digit

Why did you Capitalize it in your post but................:wacko:?

Cant comment on the quality of Boardmans myself, but they are often recommended despite the reputation of Halfords. Probably worth doing the setting up and maintenance yourself or getting a proper bike shop to do it.

Top Bottom