Boardman Comp MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AyJay

Über Member
Just picked up a Boardman Comp MTB. It is used and needs a bit of TLC but at the price I paid I am very happy. Frame is in good condition as are the wheels and tyres. Some bearings may need attention!

Going back to my roots. Still have the Boardman road bike but Mountain Biking is where I started many years ago. Looking forward to getting out on the trails again once I have checked over everything. Bike is still in the back of the car so up early in the morning and start.

Disk brakes and Sram gears all new to me. Amazing how a second hand bike can get one so excited. :bicycle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why not? I get excited about all my second hand bikes. Let's have a pic.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
As requested..................................

2017-12-21 09.51.20.jpg

2017-12-21 09.51.37.jpg

2017-12-21 09.52.03.jpg

As you can see it needs a bit of work to bring it up to standard. Looking forward to the finished result.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
Cables slack, :whistle:.....nice looking bike though, it it on 27.5 hoops?

Cables need replacing (well spotted) Yeah, 27.5 wheels. Looks like it has been taken out of the shop and ridden for quite a few miles without being touched mechanically! Bike is basically sound and I am happy with it. Now I just need to get around to attending to it's needs. Not easy this time of year. :tired:

Tangoup51

Lovely bike. I've always been admiring of boardmans frames. Especially on their "team" bikes. But any price point they're beautiful.

Noticed a paint chip 2 inch infront of your seat clamp and that "ooze" rust coming from the lower headset bearing may mean it needs replacing though.

And rust inside the steerer tube bolts........... That can't do I'd take a grinder to it just to be sure.
^_^ deliberate pessimism aside it does defo need TLC like you say, but nothing that can't be done.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
Spot on with the headset. There is a small amount of movement with that.......................needs investigating. Likewise the paint chip.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
A lot of TLC now complete. New cables, inspect / adjust bearings and a new rear mech. All looking good. Paint touched up. Replacement sent ordered.

Need to go out for a spin to see if all is well when the weather improves. Would be a shame to get her all dirty!!!

Not too sure about the Schwalbe Magic Marys. They are 2.35. Not much clearance if the going gets tough.

Standard issue are 2.2. I reserve judgement.

2017-12-29 14.30.01.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Them Mary's are a mean tyre in heavy claggy stuff..
Very slow energy sapping tyre..
Try a Hans Damph F and a trail king rear..fast and good control

Tangoup51

A lot of TLC now complete. New cables, inspect / adjust bearings and a new rear mech. All looking good. Paint touched up. Replacement sent ordered.

Need to go out for a spin to see if all is well when the weather improves. Would be a shame to get her all dirty!!!

Not too sure about the Schwalbe Magic Marys. They are 2.35. Not much clearance if the going gets tough.

Standard issue are 2.2. I reserve judgement.

Clean job. - Show room fresh. I personally like Bar ends but not particularly those. - I rock these bad boys on my worn MTB and the right kind can really give an aesthetic "boost" to your bike, though only the right kind can do that I dont feel like yours does it justice.
example.jpg

No faults on that picture, though that said, do you allow renting on your tower apartment of headset spacers? :okay:

Ah, I'm kidding its a personal hatred of mine, try making sure you've got as few as spacers above the stem as necessary though.

But all this jargon is just aesthetics, functionally the bike is ready to go. Would also say with the right tires that bike would make a cracking hybrid too.

Good buy, good service. Done & Done

Top Bottom