Boardman CX Comp 2017 Brake Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zigzak789

Morning all,

Just a quick question as I'm struggling to find out this information online, I'm looking to upgrade my Tektro Lyra disc calipers to possibly Avid BB7'S and was wondering how difficult this would be to do? Would it just be a case of switching the calipers or would the levers need changing too and new cables be required (currently running dual levers, Sora drops and Tektro flat bar)

I'm hoping it's the former and would be a quick job as I'm not the most bike savvy but the Lyra brakes have been a pain to keep adjusted properly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I changed the rubbish BB5s to TRP Spyres which get all the plaudits for mech disc brakes (have them on my disc braked bikes)
I think the LBS changed the cables and calipers only. Cost about £40 (I supplied the calipers as much cheaper)
Probably wise to change the cable inners if not done very recently

another vote for TRP i have them on my CAAD12 road bike and once setup they've been great i'd say in the dry a bit under rim brakes but in the wet etc loads better, i even wonder if that's why i'm faster on the CAAD more braking confidence.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you make sure you get like-for-like replacements then the levers will be fine. Avid and TRP both make road and MTB versions of their mechanical calipers and you need to make sure you get the right one. My gravel bike is running TRP Spyres with Tiagra road levers - easy to set up and, crucially with mechanical disc calipers, easy to adjust and you can adjust each pad individually.

Only limitation you have with disc brake choice is that you will need an IS to post mount adapter to run the front calliper As the fork mounts are sideways. As far as I am aware there are no flat mount adaptors available which rules out some of the new disc callipers from Shimano.

OP
OP
Z

Zigzak789

Thanks for the replies guys, the only reason I'm really considering getting the BB7'S because they're £29 each for the road ones on Planet X and the bike cost £300. I just need something more reliable and easier to adjust than the tektro and if it's a simple caliper swap it seems like an ideal solution.

Twilkes

Guru
Only limitation you have with disc brake choice is that you will need an IS to post mount adapter to run the front calliper As the fork mounts are sideways. As far as I am aware there are no flat mount adaptors available which rules out some of the new disc callipers from Shimano.

Hi, I found this post on a search, but am I reading it right that there's no adapter for using flat mount brakes on a post mount fork?

@Twilkes for ISO mounts (sideways ones) which convert to post mount so use 4 screws to attach the caliper then you are correct.

I believe you can get converters from post mount to flat mount but one that does two jobs.

musica

Hi all

On the same topic , may I please ask your advice as follows :
I got a CX COMP 2017 with Sora dual levers and TRP Spyre C mechanical disc calipers . As I want to replace the drop down bar with a flat one , I would need to know on what adapters do I need to accomodate the Shimano BR-M315 I purchased instead of the existing Spyre calipers ?
Many thanks

T4tomo

Guru
Hi all

On the same topic , may I please ask your advice as follows :
I got a CX COMP 2017 with Sora dual levers and TRP Spyre C mechanical disc calipers . As I want to replace the drop down bar with a flat one , I would need to know on what adapters do I need to accomodate the Shimano BR-M315 I purchased instead of the existing Spyre calipers ?
Many thanks

what exactly have you bought and what are you replacing.?

You want to move to flat bars and hydraulic brakes yes?

I assume levers came with the M315 calipers? So then you just need a set flat bar shifters for the Sora so you can change gears....

https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-so...?color=black&position=Left&speed40022=2+Speed

be aware the handling and feel might be a bit different as you have moved the effective handlebar axis back quite a bit

musica

what exactly have you bought and what are you replacing.?

You want to move to flat bars and hydraulic brakes yes?

I assume levers came with the M315 calipers? So then you just need a set flat bar shifters for the Sora so you can change gears....

https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-so...?color=black&position=Left&speed40022=2+Speed

be aware the handling and feel might be a bit different as you have moved the effective handlebar axis back quite a bit

@T4tomo I do currently have Sora dual levers on drop down bars and TRP Spyre C calipers but I want to change them all to flat bar , shifters ( I got the whole set of 2x9 Sora SL-R3000 ) and hydraulic brakes ( I got Shimano BR-M315 set ). The problem I am facing is that the BR-M315 calipers are post mount and the bike has flat mount type on rear fork so I need a different hydraulic brake set to match the bike forks mount type.
I have attached some pictures for a better understanding

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9951.jpeg
    IMG_9951.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4