Boardman CX Comp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have TRP Spyres on my Genesis road bike and am more than happy with them. Easy to adjust, no need to re-adjust when taking the wheel on and off and most importantly good stopping power. I'd be keen to try the TRP Hy/Rd to compare performance. I think you'd be satisfied with the standard Spyres for commuting though. I'd only be thinking of spending extra on the higher-end TRPs if doing lots of fast riding on steep descents.

The BB5s on my Boardman Team, by comparison, are pants. The levers had to come all the way back to the bars before the pads touched the rotor when I picked the bike up, and after taking it back in the chap at Halfords messed about with it for a while but only made it worse. Whatever I do to adjust the pads and the cable tension I can't seem to find a spot where the levers are tight and responsive without the pads scraping on the rotors. To be fair, I still haven't found the time to take the calipers off and try this set-up from scratch; when I do hopefully that might sort things -

http://www.ecovelo.info/2011/04/15/a-foolproof-method-for-adjusting-avid-bb5-disc-brakes/

ould be looking at this bike for commuting, general riding year round (so a spare pair of tyres - Gatorskins? - will be needed) and maybe some 4 or 5 day bike tours with camping stuff. Would I need to look into lower gearing, especially for touring? I'm aware that I'm a bit stuck for easy gear swaps, as a larger cassette will mean a mountain bike derailleur too, and a triple chainset will mean a new derailleur AND levers

I did the Tour de France stage 2 on a 50/34 - 12/30 last summer, with a big saddle bag on the back. That stage was part of what Bernard Hinault described as the "most challenging Grand Depart route in 40 years" and the ride includes the longest continuous climb in the country and Holme Moss, amongst other delights. I found 12-30 to offer plenty of gears. Having said that, if doing 4 or 5 days and needing full panniers, possibly bar bags etc as well are you thinking? In that case I'd be looking at a different bike altogether and a triple would be in my thoughts.

If you do go for the Boardman I'd say new puncture-resistant tyres would be an essential for your commute. The stock tyres are very heavy, have a tread pattern that is probably more suited to tracks than tarmac, and I can't see them being anywhere near as tough as Marathons. I went for Marathon Delxue on my CX Team - not quite as impenetrable as Marathon + but significantly lighter.

jwarwick

Yep, I think I'm looking at getting the Spyres. Interesting about the gearing, I think you're right about it being fine for general riding, still not sure about it for touring, weight would most likely be sub 10 kilos, but it still could be a problem... The trouble is I can't really justify a second touring bike at the moment, will look into perhaps swapping chainsets for a triple, but a move to 50/39/30 doesn't really move the lower boundary much, so it'd have to be a touring or mountain bike triple, which means new derailleur(s) and levers... :cry:Might have to try it for a few days and see if it works for me, or try and avoid the hills!:laugh:

I've got Spyres(the SLC version as that was the only ones I could get at the time without a long wait) too on my Planet X XLS and they have been good so far,only downside is they squeal a bit in the wet but that's the only down side really.

Yep, I think I'm looking at getting the Spyres. Interesting about the gearing, I think you're right about it being fine for general riding, still not sure about it for touring, weight would most likely be sub 10 kilos, but it still could be a problem... The trouble is I can't really justify a second touring bike at the moment, will look into perhaps swapping chainsets for a triple, but a move to 50/39/30 doesn't really move the lower boundary much, so it'd have to be a touring or mountain bike triple, which means new derailleur(s) and levers... :cry:

Maybe I'm getting confused, but it sounds from this like you're considering buying a Boardman Comp and then shelling out for new disc brakes, new tyres and a new chainset and derailleurs....?! I can't see how that makes sense - to buy any bike and then change that many things right away suggests you're buying the wrong bike in the first place.
Plus, in terms of the Boardman CXs specifically, while they're an ok all-rounder and certainly look the part, they're nothing special - certainly not good enough to warrant all that extra outlay on upgrades/alterations. I got my CX Team for £580 + £40 new tyres and reckon it's just about worth that. It's never a £900 bike as it was originally selling for.
It's always difficult to find one bike that can meet all one's needs, hence the ever-popular n+1 equation. Taking a Boardman out for a try in the hills is a good idea if you have the chance. Personally I find mine too hefty to consider long rides up big hills - the wheelset holds it back significantly on climbs. It works for me with the Marathons on as a quick and hardy commuter and with the knobblies on for the odd spin on the gravel and in the woods. If the hills are going to be a prominent feature of your riding and/or long rides and tours are something you'd definately want to do then I'd be wary of the Boardman. It should serve you well as a commuter with new tyres. If the other stuff is important I'd be thinking of going for a fast but sturdy bike that will be enjoyable to ride long distances on and will climb well. Genesis Equilibrium/Dawes Galaxy/Ridgeback Voyager/Kona Rove would be the kinds of options I'd be looking at.

I've got Spyres(the SLC version as that was the only ones I could get at the time without a long wait) too on my Planet X XLS and they have been good so far,only downside is they squeal a bit in the wet but that's the only down side really.

Squeal a bit? Mine wake up the whole estate when I stop outside the back gate!

jwarwick

Interesting other bike suggestions, I'm not really serious about changing the crankset and shifters, just was wondering what was possible. Agreed it's silly to buy a bike and change almost everything but the frame! The Rove and Equilibrium both have the same gearing as the Boardman, the Galaxy and Voyage both have touring triples, but I don't feel they are really warranted - I don't know if I'm serious enough about touring to get a proper tourer. I think I will go for the Boardman, especially at the current price, and try some three day or so trips - looking at (hopefully) sub 10kg of kit meaning just rear panniers and 40 or so miles a day. Think that's about the upper limit of what the bike could do, but it has been done by others.

I've heard mixed things about the standard Lyra brakes, but I don't think the extra £200 or so upgrade to the BB5s on the Team is much better (plus SRAM Apex looks difficult to master:ohmy:!) I will see what they're really like and then look for the Spyres cheap - is it silly to upgrade one brake before the other, or better both together? Have seen the Spyres for £60 or so a pop, and the Lyras selling for £30 nearly new so should offset the cost. I think they both use the same rotor, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again

The Rove and Equilibrium both have the same gearing as the Boardman
They do, but you can get older Equilibriums with a triple, if you're willing to go second-hand -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENESIS-E...561552?hash=item3f59fb0090:g:Cw0AAOSw5dNWhs7l
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/genesis-e...982666?hash=item2a5e8de00a:g:qD4AAOSw~otWdCZU
And I was also thinking that if someone was going to buy a bike with a compact chainset, but with a view to changing to a triple in the future, the Rove or Equilibrium would be a better bet for a long-term steed, and more worthy of on-going care and outlay than a Boardman.
three day or so trips - looking at (hopefully) sub 10kg of kit meaning just rear panniers and 40 or so miles a day
The Boardman is certainly comfy enough. I think I was envisaging you tackling 70-100 mile days. At 40 miles, taking it steady, you should have no problems. Just make sure you get some tyres on there that roll well. Depending on what size you're looking at Schwalbe Duranos, Conti 4Seasons and Marathon Deluxe are worth considering. I suspect a change of wheels if future funds allow will also make a significant difference.
I've heard mixed things about the standard Lyra brakes, but I don't think the extra £200 or so upgrade to the BB5s on the Team is much better (plus SRAM Apex looks difficult to master:ohmy:!)
I'm not a fan of the BB5s at all so unless you try the Comp and the Lyras are terrible, I wouldn't consider upgrading on that basis. Apex is fine - takes 15mins or so to get used to, then you're away. Easy to adjust and changes are smooth enough, though not as smooth as my Tiagra, and I prefer the feel of Shimano levers.

is it silly to upgrade one brake before the other, or better both together?
There's no reason why you couldn't do one at a time. I'd probably save up and do both together just for the convenience of doing the whole job in one go.
I think they both use the same rotor, can anyone confirm this?
Sorry, not sure about this and I don't think Halfords stock any bikes with Spyres to compare. I think @tincaman has done this upgrade so he might be able to help.
Cheers :smile:

jwarwick

Interesting... I will look into the other bikes mentioned, I was just interested in the boardman because it's at £150 off, although I suspect it's never sold at full price. Think 40mi will be manageable - just for a starter and I would look to change to a different bike in a few years if I would like to look at longer term touring. Would definitely upgrade the Lyras to Spyres over buying a whole new bike.

Thanks

I was just interested in the boardman because it's at £150 off, although I suspect it's never sold at full price
I believe the Comp did genuinely sell at £699 with few or no reductions for a year or more after coming out, and the Team similarly at £899. You'd have to be a mug to end up paying full price now though as they seem to be in one offer or another as often as not. If you don't pick it up at £150 off now, I doubt you'll have trouble getting it at that or cheaper at some point in the next few months.

If you are looking to upgrade might be worth looking at TRP hyrds or even proper hydraulics at a later date
Judging by the comments on here Shimano and TRP hydraulics are streets ahead of mech disc set-ups. Again, it comes down to how much you can afford and what kind of riding you do. I'd like hydraulics but I can't justify the outlay as I live somewhere very flat so I'd only really see the benefit a few times a year when on longer rides and cycling holidays.

jwarwick

A pair of hydraulics would be nice, but I can't really afford them at the moment, and while it is quite hilly near me, I don't think I can justify them at the moment. Think I will look into replacing the Lyras with something else though.

The kinesis frame is lovely, but it's quite expensive when you have to add calipers and wheels etc it's going to get expensive quite fast...

Top Bottom