Boardman CX Comp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hamcob

My 2014 Team has 28 tires on and isn't too bad, i rode from Derby to Skegness (96.3 miles) for charity and had 23c tires on it and that too was ok.
It's not quite as quick as my road bike which is a Btwin Triban 3(red).
I also rode the 80km Derby Sportive route last week and on the stock cassette, and it climbed ok with me on board and i'm clapped out lol

nirurin

Regular
Hi all, I can see this thread hasn't been used in a couple months, but I figured this was the best place to ask for information as all of you who own the bike should get an alert to the new posting :smile:

Basically, I'm currently considering the CX Comp, as it covers all my requirements (drops, tyre size, mudguard clearance, disk brakes), however after reading through this thread I have noticed a lot of people complaining about the rear disk... is it really that awful? I doubt I have the ability to fix a major problem myself, and continual returns to a bike shop for fixes on a £600 bike is really pretty bad.

My consideration at the moment is to get the cheaper (£430) Hybrid Comp (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike-2014), which has the BB5 disks which people seem to find more reliable... Other than that the spec is slightly lower but should at least all be reliable.

However I thought I would ask you guys, as if the rear disks is an uncommon problem, or is something easily tweakable by myself (with some help from the forums I expect) then I may pull the trigger on it, as I can currently pick it up for £500.

Any advice would be welcome, also on any other common issues they have. (I read a couple people had problems with the shifters and the derailleurs too, but I believe that was just a setup fault?)

Thanks

evo456

Über Member
Advice really is: if it ticks all the boxes then go ahead and get it. Save some budget to get it setup properly at a local bike shop where you can use on going for servicing and maintenance. A properly setup brake will perform well, better brakes will give better setup adjustments and longevity.

Wouldn't say the hybrid is lower in spec given the trade offs, pretty much comparable with the CX, , it's a bit more road focused given the slimmer tyres, but it's pretty much a flat bar equivalent of the CX

Last edited:

nirurin

Regular
Advice really is: if it ticks all the boxes then go ahead and get it. Save some budget to get it setup properly at a local bike shop where you can use on going for servicing and maintenance. A properly setup brake will perform well, better brakes will give better setup adjustments and longevity.

Wouldn't say the hybrid is lower in spec given the trade offs, pretty much comparable with the CX, , it's a bit more road focused given the slimmer tyres, but it's pretty much a flat bar equivalent of the CX

Yeh the problem with the CX is that it basically alrady exceeds my budget lol, but it seems like such a nice bike I'm hoping it will last me long enough to justify it :tongue:

Does the hybrid have trade-offs in its favour? (other than the £80 saving, some of which would end up going towards bar ends / butterflys anyway)

evo456

Über Member
Well it depends on your priorities and preferences- budget, drop bars, road/off road riding, disc brakes. Folks here are happy to offer suggestions but you'll need to set out some of your requirements and uses. Personally, if I'm after a flat bar hybrid I would definitely consider hydraulic disc brakes over the cable operated ones.

nirurin

Regular
Probably easier to link my thread, as it has all that I'm looking for on there. Max budget is £500, as I can get the CX Comp for £500 using discounts.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-cheaper-option-cx-touring-bike.164599/

So far I'm looking at 3 boardmans:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike-2014 - £500
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike-2014 - £400
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-sport-bike-2014 - £320

As the prices drop, I lose drop bars, and then disk brakes. But all have decent components and tyre clearances for comfort and mudguards. I can replace drops with bar ends easily enough, as I suspect with the CX I'll end up using the "sissy brakes" most of the time anyway while im cruising around.

You guys seem to like the boardman bikes, maybe you can point me in the right direction for my first decent bike haha.

nirurin

Regular
I had an extra 10% off at halfords oppurtunity today, due to a flash sale, so I had to make a quick choice...

Chose the Hybrid Comp. Middle ground on price, seemed to be a good spec, and I dont think I'll miss the drop bars (as I've never had drops before anyway haha). Bar ends may be a christmas addition, if I decide I need them. Also has possibly more reliable brakes haha, though that seems to depend on who you ask.

Now hoping when I get to pick it up, I have made the right choice :P Thanks guys

evo456

Über Member
Since last posting on this thread, I've changed the Sora setup to 105 as I wasn't getting any comfort with the hoods - this is a personal thing and comes with the price point the bike was sold at so some will find it perfectly okay. Asides from the added comfort, having 2 extra gears is handy and shift change quality are a step up markedly especially on the front ring. Still not getting on with the brake alignment, so will probably go hydraulics when things allow, or convert the 6 bolt disc to a centre hub to see if it reduces disc flexing.

Last tip, for those who need to replace their freehub body on their CX - and most probably most other Boardman bikes the part number from Halfords is 125495, it comes with a allen wrench adaptor to take your usual allen keys to tighten/remove the freehub body.

jwarwick

Hi everyone, sorry to hijack this thread :tongue: I just wanted to ask some advice on the CX Comp.

I'm looking for a more rugged successor to my old road bike - the roads around London are pretty terrible, and the ride isn't great! The CX Comp seems to tick all the boxes for me - it has rack and guard mounts, disc brakes and a reasonable gear range. I have only two concerns:

1) Brakes - I've seen a few complaints on this forum about the Tektro Lyras on the Comp, and I'm wondering what the main problem is - are they unreliable or just difficult to adjust and keep running freely? I'm quite new to the world of discs, coming across from road bikes and rim brakes, they seem to be pretty standard on CX bikes at the moment, with few bikes on cantis by the looks of things. Is the problem with uneven pad wear and constant adjustment specific to the Lyras (and to an extent the BB5s on the Team) or is it a problem with mechanical discs in general? What is maintenance like on them as well? I think I should be able to adjust them, if it's not too complicated...

If I did look to upgrade though, what would be the best set to go for? The Comp is £449.99 in Halfords at the moment, which is a great deal, but I wouldn't want to spend more than, say, £100 extra on non-essential parts like brake upgrades (Already need to get some mudguards - SKS Chromoplastics seem good - and pedals and shoes. Looking at the M520s I think - thoughts?) so is it worth going for better mechanicals like the TRP Spyres or making the jump to hydraulic - a pair of hydraulic calipers plus hoses and levers etc. aren't really in my budget, but what are the thoughts on mechanical/hydraulics like the TRP Hy/Rd?

2) Gearing - 50/34 and an 11-32 is really excellent for a bike in this range, I think. My last road bike was 50/34 and 12-25 so I think (hope!) the wider cassette will make a difference on the steep hills around South London... Would be looking at this bike for commuting, general riding year round (so a spare pair of tyres - Gatorskins? - will be needed) and maybe some 4 or 5 day bike tours with camping stuff. Would I need to look into lower gearing, especially for touring? I'm aware that I'm a bit stuck for easy gear swaps, as a larger cassette will mean a mountain bike derailleur too, and a triple chainset will mean a new derailleur AND levers...:ohmy:

BTW, has anyone ever seen the Comp at less than £450? Seems like a great deal!

£450 and 10% British Cycling discount is about as good as it gets.

I have TRP Spyres but on a Norco Threshold A2 mated with Tiagra not Sora. Not really like for like but I can lock up both wheels without issue. I feel no need to upgrade.

As for the pedals, I used to have SPD them but swapped due to SPD SL due to hot spots on longer rides. Anything Shimano (from my SPD SL experiences) will be good. I have had Welgo and Exhustar in the past, although affordable the quality I feel is not as good as Shimano.

On my commuter I use Michelin City Tyres 700x28c and have no issues with them. Gatorskins are a tad expensive and other just as good brands and models can be picked up at planet x, pro bike kit etc.

jwarwick

Interesting... What is the adjustment like on the Spyres? Are they prone to rubbing, and if so is it easy to fix?

I understand that fitting them is little more than removing one caliper and fitting the next, and then adjusting - is this correct?

Also, how do you qualify for the 10% discount? Is it valid when you are a member? Thanks

The spyres are generally ok and do not rub once bedded in. When they were new they did rub a little as there is not much clearance between rotor and pads. I do find that after removing the wheel I need to recentre the caliper.

In terms of adjustment you can only move one pad in and out as only one piston moves when pulling cable. Simply put a small allen key in and turn to adjust.

You can have long (soft) or short (hard) pull on calipers by adjusting the cable length from hoods to caliper.

Just ask at the desk at Halfords and take your card incase they check before applying the discount.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have just learnt something new! I didn't realise you can do the same adjustment on both sides of the pad to move each piston out and in. It might save me recentering next time I take the wheel off.

Top Bottom