Boardman CX Comp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evo456

Über Member
So after wiggle recommended an XL for me I decided, in a moment of madness, to order both an L and an XL with the intention of returning the one that didn't fit. Got the bikes yesterday and assembled the L, stood over it and although I didn't want to believe it - it was too big. There's contact when standing over the frame, not much but enough to be noticed. So now two bikes have to go back and I think that's me done with the CX Comp. Such a shame, lovely bike.

Or just order the medium??

jimbojones

Or just order the medium??
I would like to but returning each bike will cost approximately €50 (from Germany). I'm not risking another return for whatever reason.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Just FYI, my comp has managed to crack in the front fork. It's about halfway round the fork - thankfully the LBS noticed it during service. Going to halfords with it straight after service. Just a heads up...

evo456

Über Member
Pictures? I've taken the CX on broken roads on slim stiff M+ tyres for a few months and it seems to be holding up.

cristianf99

What is this bike like for hill climbing? I am considering buying one I have a Carrera TDF at the moment and it's not brilliant for climbling as it doesn't have a compact.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Haven't really done any massive hills but it's ok, I got round Winchester to Southampton pretty well. Even better when you put slicks on it :smile:

cristianf99

Haven't really done any massive hills but it's ok, I got round Winchester to Southampton pretty well. Even better when you put slicks on it :smile:

Ah that's cool :smile: I was considering it as I love my roadie but would love a bit more comfort which my current bike doesn't really offer. I'm from the Greater Manchester area and ride around Bolton etc, quite some distance from you haha! And there are some monster climbs around here!

Do you notice much reduction in speed compared to a road bike, with and without slicks?

Thanks.

cristianf99

Was considering this, or getting a road bike and a cheap MTB as I miss going off road haha.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
I've never had a road bike so I can't really compare. It was perfectly alright without the slicks and I felt more confident in the wet and on gravel/Southampton Common but it goes like stink with a pair of 28c Gatorskins on. I was keeping up ok with road bikes on the group ride on Sunday.

Dave W

Skinny road tyres make it faster but comfort goes out of the window. Even canal towpaths are uncomfortable with skinny tyres on.

fras08

Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm after some advice on new pedals for my 2014 CX Comp. I had thought that I would never opt for cleats but the toe-clips are starting to annoy as I can never easily get my size 12s in and end up veering around the road while look down.
Are hybrid pedals the way to go to ease the transition to cleats?

I've had the bike around a month and haven't done what I would consider to be a lot on it but the brakes aren't very responsive and some of the gear changes are far from smooth. Has anyone else had these problems? I'll be taking it back to Halfords in the next week or soon for a service that will hopefully put things right...

evo456

Über Member
@cristianf99 - How rough is off-road? If you're not dealing with big drops or extremely rutted paths the CX will be fine. Depending on tyre and pressure set-up it's like having 3 different bikes. I have slim/slick tyres for pure road duties/ sportives. 32/35c puncture resistants for commuting / touring, and knobbly 40c tyres for the rough/wet mud. It climbs okay, but it will never feel as light on it's feet as a decent road bike.

Last edited:

evo456

Über Member
Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm after some advice on new pedals for my 2014 CX Comp. I had thought that I would never opt for cleats but the toe-clips are starting to annoy as I can never easily get my size 12s in and end up veering around the road while look down.
Are hybrid pedals the way to go to ease the transition to cleats?

I've had the bike around a month and haven't done what I would consider to be a lot on it but the brakes aren't very responsive and some of the gear changes are far from smooth. Has anyone else had these problems? I'll be taking it back to Halfords in the next week or soon for a service that will hopefully put things right...

There are toe cages which are rigid plastics, like you I had the exact problems with the CX. I would skip those as you'll just spend all the the time looking down trying to stick your hoof in. A decent pair of MTB flats are much more enjoyable if you are completely adverse to cleats- not having cleats is ok, some people are just more comfortable with normal flats.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
I'm probably going to end up getting A530s or similar for mine, since I commute on it. Will let you know how it goes. Have currently suffered another front wheel vibration issue - god knows how I keep doing it :sad:

Top Bottom