Boardman CX Comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

A friend has a Boardman CX Comp for sale and I`m sorely tempted as I know he bought it for a charity ride, hated cycling and has ridden it since - he is a bit strange lol

I do have a question about the tyres though. The bike comes equipped with Schwalbe Tyrago w/ Kevlar Guard (700 x 37C) and I was wondering what they were like. I know I wont get any KOM`s using them!

I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700 x 25C) on my winter bike and after using those for the first time last year, I found that I actually developed muscles in my legs so god knows what the Tyrago`s would do.

Any advice well appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
You won’t get any KOMs on marathon plus either!

I have Durano race guard in 32mm guise on my CX Team. A very capable commuter now I replaced the horrid BB5s with TRP Spyres

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Vickster - to be fair, I don`t get very many KOM`s on my good bike either lol

I was just wondering what those Tyrago`s were actually like. But I suppose because it`s a Cyclocross bike, I`d be taking it places I wouldn`t take me good bike. I`m trying to give myself an excuse NOT to buy the bike!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi all,

A friend has a Boardman CX Comp for sale and I`m sorely tempted as I know he bought it for a charity ride, hated cycling and has ridden it since - he is a bit strange lol !

There are loads like that out there , going to see a bike tonight someone bought about 8 years ago and it hasn't ever been ridden ???

J_H1026

I keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Boardman CX for my commuter - I'm surprised (but they I guess I shouldn't be) at the amount of bikes out there that have been ridden once or twice but then packed away. Prices seem quite high (for used bikes) or I'm looking in the wrong places!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Schwalbe Smart Sams on my similar Giant Revolt roll very well when properly inflated. I bought some 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs thinking they'd be faster but they're harsher & I don't think there's any difference in speed at all really.

vickster

Legendary Member
I keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Boardman CX for my commuter - I'm surprised (but they I guess I shouldn't be) at the amount of bikes out there that have been ridden once or twice but then packed away. Prices seem quite high (for used bikes) or I'm looking in the wrong places!
If you’re in London, prices for genuine (ie non nicked) bikes are high. You need to be prepared to travel

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm in the outskirts of Bristol/Bath and I guess it's the same here!
Yep travel or sight unseen and delivery maybe only option or deeper pockets

I got lucky with my 2014 team. Of course British Cycling membership gets a discount at Halfords.

Look maybe for a more left field option like a Whyte CX?

Last edited:

J_H1026

Thanks Vikster, I'll take a look. I'm also keeping an eye out for reasonable Ribble Audax's but I do like the idea of disc brakes where possible!

Johnno260

Veteran
You won’t get any KOMs on marathon plus either!

I have Durano race guard in 32mm guise on my CX Team. A very capable commuter now I replaced the horrid BB5s with TRP Spyres

Best thing I did to my Boardman was replace the BB5 brakes with TRP Spyres, they were worth every penny.

Top Bottom