Boardman CX Team 2015 - tyre clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering what’s the most rubber that anyone’s squeezed onto one of these bikes? (2015 was the shiny silver one, before they changed the logo font and went to 1x)

Mine’s currently in bits in the shed, having been used and abused as a commuter, and then rather shamefully abandoned.

I’m looking to bring it back to life for gravel/bike packing adventures and wondering if I can manage something better than the unused 35mm knobblies it came with.

Could 650b wheels be an option?

Any advice from anyone who’s played around with different tyres on this model would be much appreciated.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Silver model was the 2014 (I had one). I’m sure you’d get 40mm gravel tyres on. Can’t see you’d really need any wider for the uses you describe (indeed the 35mm tyres would be fine assuming they’ve not perished in the shed).

I’d upgrade the brakes before spending money on the wheels

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Silver model was the 2014 (I had one). I’m sure you’d get 40mm gravel tyres on. Can’t see you’d really need any wider for the uses you describe (indeed the 35mm tyres would be fine assuming they’ve not perished in the shed).

I’d upgrade the brakes before spending money on the wheels

Mine was bought new as the ‘current model’ in 2015. It has a different fork to the 2014 model, I believe, but I think only different in the sense of mounts rather than size/shape/materials.

The Avid callipers are already in the bin, don’t worry about that! 👍😆

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I still ride mine as a commuter, bought late 2014 and now has just shy of 21,000 miles on. Tyres, the originals are on my Wifes bike which seldom gets used. I ride on Schwalbe Marathon greenguard 700 x 35 and have mudguards which from memory are 45mm wide, so would expect no issues with fitting 40 profile tyres without mudguards.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Between the chain stays would be the critical area. Doesn’t look to be too much more room.

29E06ADE-2B84-4ACB-BA8B-917E78737D7F.jpeg

Top Bottom