Tyre clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
Is there a reliable method of determining what size tyres I can fit on a bike without having to buy lots of tires of different sizes.

If a tyre is 700x43 what would be the height on the tyre from the rim

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is there a reliable method of determining what size tyres I can fit on a bike without having to buy lots of tires of different sizes.

If a tyre is 700x43 what would be the height on the tyre from the rim

No, but the tyres you have on and the clearance around them is a good starting point.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think in my case the height of the tyre will be the limiting factor rather than the width

How much clearance is there between the tyre and the bridge, and clearance laterally from the tyre to the stays?

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP: If a tyre is 700x43 what would be the height on the tyre from the rim
Work on 43mm so a wheel radius (axle centre to 'top' of tyre) of 354mm.
Most tyres on a sensible inner rim width are as tall/deep as they are wide. Tyre's outside radius is nominally the rim radius plus the tire width, plus as much as 1 cm greater for a tire with a deep tread. So a tyre specced 45 cf 35 will be 10mm 'higher'. Consider how much clearance you have now and extrapolate for a wider higher tyre.
Height doesn't vary as much as width does with increased pressure (ime), btw.
Having said all that, tyres with thick anti-puncture layers 'tween carcass and tread (looking at you M+) are higher (than their width) cf those without.
HTH

Last edited:

presta

Guru
If you're thinking of pinching it fine, you need to bear in mind that tyre tolerances might be more than you think, so trying one won't necessarily mean that another of the same make & model will also fit. Schwalbe quote +/-3mm, then add some more depending on pressure.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I guess I ust need to try some and hope for the best

Ajax Bay

Guru
I guess I just need to try some and hope for the best
No: you can do better than that. Measure the gap you still have with the 43-622 tyre. That will give you a clear indication of the limit. If your "43" is a strawman then measure (accuracy within 2mm) the distance from axle centre to the chainstay bridge (normally the limiting factor (with or without mudguards)). Multiply by 2 and minus 311. That will give you an indication of the width of the tyre that'd fit (not M+). HTH
Can't get further west in Wales than overlooking Ramsey Sound!

Juliansou

Just sharing my experience……..
my Planet X pro carbon came with 25mm tyres and a claimed clearance for 30mm. A little while into my ownership I decided to get some wider tyres and figured that 30mm would include a bit of ‘wiggle room’. I took a flyer with some 32mm and they fit perfectly - a little snug & I wouldn’t go any higher but no issues. Unfortunately all tyre sizes are not created equal! Have a look at what you’ve got then it’s a best guess from there!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I guess I ust need to try some and hope for the best

what is the bike
what model and size tires are on now
how much clearance at the brake bridge & forks/ stays with those
are there any manufacturers recommendations on clearance
are running or wanting to run mudguards

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
what is the bike
what model and size tires are on now
how much clearance at the brake bridge & forks/ stays with those
are there any manufacturers recommendations on clearance
are running or wanting to run mudguards

bike is a Trek 7.3 FX
currently has stock 700x32 all weather road tyres
manufacture does not make any recomendations.
google search found an newer version fitted with 42mm tyres without guards but it was tight

Ajax Bay

Guru
@phil-b you failed to answer the really useful question: "how much clearance at the brake bridge & forks/ stays with those [32-622]" which several have asked. Help us to help you!

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
@phil-b you failed to answer the really useful question: "how much clearance at the brake bridge & forks/ stays with those [32-622]" which several have asked. Help us to help you!
I dont really know how to meashure this because at each of these point the frame tapers in. so the hight might be enough but there may not be enough width. It is hard to guage what the limiting factor is if that makes sence

Top Bottom