Training Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Santa brought me a turbo trainer this Xmas and I have tried it out a few times using a Lugano 700 x 23 tyre. I am aware that there are training tyres available and I am wondering what the differences are. The lugano's seem to be working ok and are not excessively noisy so should I bother changing them. I do use the bike fairly frequently on the road.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Tyres will get hot on a turbo, as they don’t benefit from the airflow you get on the road.

So, I think one of the benefits of a training tyre is to withstand this heat better.

Santa brought me a turbo trainer this Xmas and I have tried it out a few times using a Lugano 700 x 23 tyre. I am aware that there are training tyres available and I am wondering what the differences are. The lugano's seem to be working ok and are not excessively noisy so should I bother changing them. I do use the bike fairly frequently on the road.

You would need a spare wheel to put the turbo tyre on.
You'll probably get extra wear on your luganos, but I'd just keep an eye on the wear and see how you go.

My turbo wasn't that harsh on tyres so it was much cheaper to run normal tyres and replace more frequently than buying a new wheel and a turbo tyre.

boydj

Legendary Member
Found normal tyres left a load of rubber bits on the floor when on the turbo whereas a dedicated tyre will not

I've never seen that in all the years I've been using a turbo with the normal road tyre on whatever bike I'm using at the time.

I've never seen that in all the years I've been using a turbo with the normal road tyre on whatever bike I'm using at the time.

Some turbos are harsher than others on tyres.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Maybe he’s not riding hard enough 😁

cdbcd4c5a--coronation-street-blog-kenneth-williams.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've never used a specific turbo tyre. Never had any heat issues - if you do, I suspect the roller is too tight on the tyre. If you've not got a spare bike, or wheel on there, normal tyres will do.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you have a spare wheel to use on the turbo, then a dedicated turbo tyre is a good idea.

If using your regular road tyre, you'd be advised to swap back and front tyres over every now and again to even out the wear. its not a bad idea anyway as rears generally wear quicker than front on the road, but more important if running on a turbo as it does wear a flat central strip on the tyre over time.

Top Bottom