Boardman........ Love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s a great bike. One of the best that Boardman made. It had a very clever lay up of the Carbon Fiber. It was flexible enough in the Y axis ( up and down) to make it very comfy on the tougher roads, without being floppy, but absolutely rigid in the X axis ( left to right ) so it doesn’t flex all over the place when you get out of the saddle on climbs and rock the bike a bit. It’s also fairly stif in the Z axis ( like the opposite of a piano accordion ) so it’s super stable under braking. It’s no wonder it won the accolades it did. It’s also a very good way of differentiating between people that know their stuff, and sneery, all the gear no idea muppets. Park it next to a bunch of clubbies at a cafe stop, and listen to what they say. You’ll get people who know what they’re looking at, and total knob heads, in equal measure:laugh:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is that the whole bike or just the frame? The viking is a 30+lb steel frame. I think my good bike is a 8k (17.6lb) Ti frame. Add bars, wheels, groupset cages etc you can probably add another kilo or two. I've seen complete bikes at under 6kg :eek:

Whole bike

KneesUp

Guru
Is that the whole bike or just the frame? The viking is a 30+lb steel frame. I think my good bike is a 8k (17.6lb) Ti frame. Add bars, wheels, groupset cages etc you can probably add another kilo or two. I've seen complete bikes at under 6kg :eek:
They aren’t frame weights unless your frame is solid metal! My steel MTB is 13kg as a complete bike with not very high end components and a rack.

Have been out today for the first time. Very pleased. Gearing works for me. (We have no hills, only slopes in Suffolk)
No hills in Suffolk, I can find you some in Suffolk but not on the coast. Can`t compare with the likes of Yorkshire mind, otherwise a few years back they would have started Le Tour de France in Suffolk.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
No hills in Suffolk, I can find you some in Suffolk but not on the coast. Can`t compare with the likes of Yorkshire mind, otherwise a few years back they would have started Le Tour de France in Suffolk.

NoNo:ohmy: I really don't need those hills :laugh: Getting too old for all that effort!! but you are right, it's not all flat here. ^_^

J1888

Über Member
I’ve got the bike that you bought - I paid about £1400 around 2 years ago and it was way above anything else at that price in terms of spec...maybe apart from Btwin.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've seen it mentioned further up the thread about a creaky Boardman bottom bracket? Have others experienced this with Boardman bikes? I've just taken ownership of a Boardman URB 8.9 and one of my gripes is the grinding/metallic swirling sound from the bottom bracket. On top of that, the Alfine hub hasn't been set up correctly and the hydraulic brakes are spongey as heck. Halfords of course said the bike was 100% when i returned it to be set up again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There have been issues with bikes with press fit BB but no more than other brands? I do hear a lot of talk that of ones are meh.mines been okay

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not much wrong with them. Some of the finishing kit is meh. My Team Carbon is as light as some £5000 bikes. I find the ride rather dead compared to a steel bike and I had to change the horrible compact chainset for a 53/39 (the gear I wanted was always in between the 50 and 34!) but it's very good for the money. In the end, the biggest issue with them is the decals. It's like driving a Vauxhall VX220 or something. It may be an equally good car but hardly anyone will choose a VX220 over a Lotus Elise, because it has the wrong badges.
Interestingly, the VX is a very different car to the Elise to drive, and has a different character entirely.

Most of the time, creaking BBs are simply due to the pressfit bearings moving about in the frame, and it’s not confined just to Boardman bikes. A bit of sticky gunk will freeze them in place, and stop the creaking. You’ll just have to be a bit more forceful with the drift if you need to get them out, and you’ll have to take care not to crack the frame when you do. I replaced the PF30 with a PF30 to threaded HT2 converter from Wheels manufacturing on my Boardman Road bike. I did need to get the HT 2 chainset as well, as the hole is smaller diameter ( 24 mm as opposed to 30mm )and the spindles are longer ( on account of the bearings being mounted outboard ). But it’s a great bit of kit, well worth the money.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wh...Outboard-Bottom-Bracket-AC-Bearings-24mm/EHT3

david k

Hi
My new Team CX 2014 was about £425 or something as I got £100 of accessories with it, they sell second hand for about that I think
That's the one I have, like my picture

I've added some smoother tyres, 32mm but look thinner, changed the seat and a shorter head set, if that's what it's called. It's a great all rounder
I had issues with the bottom bracket, Halfords were excellent, swapped it twice the problem remained and they fitted a big upgrade part which took a while to be ordered, alls been well since

david k

Hi
Not the clearest photos but my current set up

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom