Boardman MTB Cycle Shoes? views please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Been told the £40 Boardman MTB Cycle Shoes will make an ideal cheap intro clipless shoe for road and dirt. Is this true?
I tempted to nip to my local Halfords in the morn so I can try a pair on to see if they fit. Anything to watch out for?
Ta

vickster

Legendary Member
Just that they fit and that the sole is decently stiff for clipless.
SPD 2 bolt shoes are fine for on and off road

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Decathlon also do some good budget MTB shoes. Might be worth checking out. £35 for this one.

Attachments

• hybrid-mountain-biking-shoes-black.jpg
    hybrid-mountain-biking-shoes-black.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
When you go to try them, take the socks you’ll wear riding…in winter (when you may wear 2 pairs) and summer

I only ever wear one pair of socks. You don't want to squish the blood flow in the winter. Just get some cheap Planet X over shoes to keep the chill off.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Have done the deed - Halfords didn't have the Boardman in stock in spite of what the website said. Went next door to Sports Direct and splurged 38 squids on a pair of Muddy Fox MTB 100. They fit with both flavours of sock but I had to go up to size 11 as the 10s felt like the sort of things they used to put Chinese women's feet into. Not impressed by the robustness of the loops the velcro goes through, hopefully be proved wrong.
Now its time to do my last 1/2 hour ride of the week and go and sort cleats/pedals at my local bike shop

vickster

Legendary Member
Have done the deed - Halfords didn't have the Boardman in stock in spite of what the website said. Went next door to Sports Direct and splurged 38 squids on a pair of Muddy Fox MTB 100. They fit with both flavours of sock but I had to go up to size 11 as the 10s felt like the sort of things they used to put Chinese women's feet into. Not impressed by the robustness of the loops the velcro goes through, hopefully be proved wrong.
Now its time to do my last 1/2 hour ride of the week and go and sort cleats/pedals at my local bike shop
Those aren't actually very good...don't expect them to last too long (you can save up for better in the meantime)

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Agree with @vickster. The MTB100 were my first foray into clipless and they nearly put me off. I did ponder upgrading to the 200 but thought if the 100's were so naff would they 200's be any better. Ended up with some Northwaves (can't remember which one) then ended up with Lakes wide fit, only the budget version but I love them. I'm looking to upgrade by another couple of steps as soon as I can afford them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think Sigmasports have deals on Lake shoes at mo. Sportpursuit often have good deals on NOS too

Top Bottom