Boardman or Canyon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olbra

Hi Everyone,

New here but looking to get into cycling (no-brainer with the cycle to work schemes) and am looking for some advice on which bike to buy.

It will be used mainly for commuting to and from work (only about 20 mins each way on decent roads) but I'd also like something I could take on the canal towpaths at the weekend.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two options, so advice on which one to pick is appreciated.

First option is the Boardman HYB 8.9 - https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2176-hyb-8.9.html

Second option is the Canyon Roadlite SL 8.0 - https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/fitnes...7agjQUUuH_FjjG0_XZU4m5Ja1w5l8guhoCieUQAvD_BwE

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Canyon has a better spec drivetrain/gears, Shimano Ultegra rather than SRAM Apex etc.
The Boardman has better wheels, Mavic rather than Alex.
The Canyon is approximately 1.2 kg lighter.
Difficult choice, I would buy the Canyon, both look great.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If in U.K...Doubt you can buy Canyon on C2W...nor test ride
On that basis, the Boardman is the sensible choice

OP
OP
O

Olbra

The Canyon has a better spec drivetrain/gears, Shimano Ultegra rather than SRAM Apex etc.
The Boardman has better wheels, Mavic rather than Alex.
The Canyon is approximately 1.2 kg lighter.
Difficult choice, I would buy the Canyon, both look great.

Thanks, I'm just starting to learn about bike components so your overview is helpful. I am leaning towards the Canyon but not being able to see it/try it out gives me anxiety :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Vickster is right, Canyon are a direct seller, and not via any cycle to Work Scheme.

Can't really go wrong with a Boardman - great spec bikes.

OP
OP
O

Olbra

If in U.K...Doubt you can buy Canyon on C2W...nor test ride
On that basis, the Boardman is the sensible choice

Canyon have the GCI scheme which my boss is happy to do so no problems on that front. I managed to get a feel of the boardman today and it does feel/look really nice...

OP
OP
O

Olbra

Vickster is right, Canyon are a direct seller, and not via any cycle to Work Scheme.

Can't really go wrong with a Boardman - great spec bikes.

They have the GCI scheme now I believe

Good evening,

(no-brainer with the cycle to work schemes)

This is hiring (insurance obligations etc) a thousand pound bike with an option to own at that the end of the hire period with a further charge, the motor industry calls it PCP.

Hardly a no-brainer.

Why not buy a Halfords Carrera, snob value aside, £400 will get you a bike that is probably better than you need. :-)

Bye

Ian

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I really like them both although I'm leaning towards the Canyon I think. I was hoping for a strong consensus in here to make me decide lol

Ah, but depends if the employer operates that GCI scheme. Never heard of it despite the claims it's the biggest.

vickster

Legendary Member
Canyon have the GCI scheme which my boss is happy to do so no problems on that front. I managed to get a feel of the boardman today and it does feel/look really nice...
Feel or test ride (Halfords don’t, Cycle Republic do)

Which other bikes / brands have you looked at and rejected?

If buying on C2W, make sure you have insurance in place to cover loss during the hire period (or you’ll need to pay instalments for a bike you don’t have)

Top Bottom