Bob A Job: remember?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Don't suppose it's allowed now: small boys getting invited into strangers' homes.
The above post about paper rounds triggered off memories of Bob a Jobbing.
As an eight year old in Brighton, I recall even all these years later, ranging far and wide by myself in Cubs uniform, knocking on doors clutching job card in hand and desperate to get all twenty spaces filled in so as to earn a pound.
I did shopping, gardening, cleaned several bikes, washed several cars and polished someone's silverware.
With one job to go, one space on my card needing to be filled and nineteen shillings earned, I then knocked on this door at the top of a hill. The male householder gave me some money and told me to go down to the bottom of the hill, buy some logs and bring them up. I remember the huge effort for a small boy in dragging this huge sack of logs back up but worst of all I remember the sixpence I was duly paid! I remember how crestfallen I felt that all the spaces on my job card were now filled and I hadn't earned my pound. I went home in tears.
I now realise what a huge act of calculated meanness this was on the part of that householder: bastard. I expect he's now dead. Good!

Keith Oates

Janner
There are always some people that take advantage of situations, I hope he got his just reward at some place or time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonj2

I did it, so it was still around in my day betty - probably still is now.
When i did it though there wasn't a card with tickboxes, just a list of how much you'd made and a prize for the person who'd raised the most.
Can't remember any unusual jobs, just all washing of cars mainly with the odd brass candlestick needing polishing.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Blowing my cool here- I was a scout (f*ck it, at least I got a cheap holiday without the folks each year).

I ended up helping a local antique dealer doing a house clearance, all for a KitKat and a can of Coke (and a bob, presumably). I just thought I'd get something to polish.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Eee, bob-a-job! Even though the cubs eventually asked me to leave :biggrin:, I remember it well... washing cars, gardening, all sorts! However, me and Jimmy Burke scarpered one day when, while doing some gardening, we were also practising flips ( you run, spring off on your hands, and flip over to land on your feet)... anyway, his shoe came off, and smashed their window.. oh how we ran... not sure what happened then, but I guess we must have heard more of it...

Maz

Guru
Do they still have the bob-a-job in the cubs/scouts?
Probably too dangerous these days, kids knocking on strangers' doors and stuff...

walker

Maz said:
Do they still have the bob-a-job in the cubs/scouts?
Probably too dangerous these days, kids knocking on strangers' doors and stuff...

they still do it, but with knives in hand and raiding the place

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Probably bob-a-handjob these days... (gets coat and hands himself in to plod)

asterix

Comrade Member
I remember the woman opposite our house giving me 50p to clean her bike wheels. They were old,corroded chrome ones and she wanted them shiny new. I was there for hours with an old toothbrush.

Yes in the mid 60's we went to one of our neighbours for a job and got something very similar only it was a large blue car. We spent ages cleaning rust and corrosion off parts of this huge (it seemed to us then) vehicle.

Can't remember how much we got but I always remember the guy's name for some reason - Mr Donald Campbell. He also had a mini with the reg DC7, I hope it bought him luck.

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Probably bob-a-handjob these days... (gets coat and hands himself in to plod)

You don't have to hand yourself in Fnaar, we just all get to call you Bobby Blowjob for the rest of the day! :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
You don't have to hand yourself in Fnaar, we just all get to call you Bobby Blowjob for the rest of the day! :smile:

Aha, I said handjob.... is there somehting YOU should tell us? :biggrin::ohmy:;)xx(

Gladly child slavery no longer takes place in this country. I did bleeding Bob a ob in the late 70's. Four hours work tidying up someone's garden for - you guessed it- 5p.

Five ****ing pee. 1.25p an hour.

unts

I wouldn't have minded so much but it was my Grandad's garden.

asterix said:
Can't remember how much we got but I always remember the guy's name for some reason - Mr Donald Campbell. He also had a mini with the reg DC7, I hope it bought him luck.

It didn't. He died on Lake Coniston trying to break the water speed record.

Are you sure the large blue car wasn't this?

2536302574_366133e6e4_o.jpg

Top Bottom