Bobbin or Darning Needle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
MrsR going through some old stuff and found this:

IMG_2193.JPG

I call it a Bobbin, she a darning needle. We both remember our Mothers darning socks on one.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's a but plug.

It's neither a bobbin, which is for winding thread onto, nor a needle. I think it's a darning mushroom.
Yes. It's definitely neither of the guesses.

My mum used .... a pair of balled up socks, her fist. Hard to remember because then she finished her law degree and started throwing away socks. Darning socks belongs in a world with knitting socks.

@Beebo has the best suggestion for repurposing it.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I wonder if it has regional names? Appreciate it's technically not a bobbin or a needle, but that's what it was called in or respective households.

I wonder if it has regional names? Appreciate it's technically not a bobbin or a needle, but that's what it was called in or respective households.
I'm really doubting "needle". I don't believe a sewing needle was known as any other name in a dialect, so .... what? "You put the needle inside the sock., then you thread the yarn through the needle ... no, not the large wooden needle, the metal needle you can thread the yarn through ...."

OK, now I know why you never learnt to darn socks :smile:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
And neither mum passed on the skillz? :sad:

I totally remember my instructions on darning socks, and proud to say I've never used it. But I do know what a needle and bobbin are.

MrsR says:

1 - she knows how to darn a sock

2 - it's spelt "butt" @Beebo

3 - haven't you lot got anything better to do on a Friday night?

4 - Mothers doesn't have a capital M.

Top Bottom